Why isn't competitive crossplay a thing?

I don’t get why we don’t have the option to play competitive cross-play, I think it should be anyone’s right to partake in competitive cross-play matches while acknowledging that they are in a disavantage if they’re using a controller because of keyboard+mouse players.
Me and my brother knew beforehand that overwatch supported cross-play so he bought the game on a different platform than mine but we didn’t know that we couldn’t play competitive together in ANY way; i get that this is our fault for not doing enough research, but still, i don’t really get why we don’t have the option to play together. We also knew that obviously controller players have an handicap because of how the aiming is different with a keyboard and a mouse, but we decided to play like that anyways because we only have 1 gaming PC.
He says that knowing that we will never be able to play serious matches together and not having an actual competitive score is a real turnoff and I don’t blame him. Me and the rest of my team are on PC but it feels so bad to just play by ourselves without him.
I really hope that this feature is atleast coming in the future. I would be fine with every kind of implementation of this feature, it would be phenomenal if there was a third competitive lobby with cross play enabled, but really anything would be good

8 Likes

I see no reason for this not to be a thing if they added native mouse and keyboard support for console.

6 Likes

the other four people on your team might not want the disadvantaged console player on their team

11 Likes

ya… no please don’t do this. ever.

8 Likes

Cause it’s stupidly unfair that’s why. They can get away with it in qp cause it dosen’t matter if you win or lose. I hope they don’t add crossplay for comp.

4 Likes

I already have problems with carrying dead weight in arcade and QP matches, I better not be seeing any crossplay people in comp.

3 Likes

Bronze player talks about carrying “dead weight”, not toxic at all!
Sure I am imagining =]

6 Likes

pc players, having a much faster flick time, and can have more control over keybinds and stuff would NOT like to have a console player that has a slow turn rate.

4 Likes

Especially if there is no aim assist to make up for it

3 Likes

Exactly, i honestly think that’s the only thing they need to do. Just put a input method selection in the settings menu (exactly how it works in Warzone) and the work is done

5 Likes

because this game is trash enough

1 Like

Mad cause bad! =]]]]

2 Likes

You want all console players to be forced into PC low ranks? I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

1 Like

Sometimes console makers put restrictions on xplay with PCs or even amongst other consoles. Maybe there’s something regarding competitive/ranked play specifically with regards to them? Idk, I’m just spitballing. I can’t post links, but I found an article googling overwatch and crossplay and found this snippet from a June 2021 piece on console crossplay in OW:

Sony is the most notorious platform holder in this regard, long resistant to crossplay support, though it does exist in some PlayStation games. The company is reportedly charging some publishers fees for crossplay, which may explain why PlayStations are excluded from the feature in Borderlands 3. Overwatch could be popular enough to justify the expense.

It does go on to say that maybe it’ll be an OW2 thing so who knows. So who knows what’s really the deal, or if there’s like a combination of factors. Or maybe they figure if they can’t do it for all consoles may as well not do it for any? Again, don’t know. But it may also involve Sony/Nintendo/MS as part of the reason.

2 Likes

That’s basically what Paladins does for competitive mode. It’s divided by input type.

2 Likes

All my friends are on ps4 i got 3 other dudes cant play competitivly with at all

why not just add a separate option that has competitive crossplay