Why is the SR/MMR formula kept a secret?

well everything besides calvin ball

you’re allowed to ask for my computer

1 Like

Nope. Blizzard hasn’t decided to give away their private property so again… not how it’s done.

Just curious, do you believe that the working class should be the ruling class and that the means of production belong to society as a whole instead of the people who paid the money to build out the infrastructure? That would explain a lot.

1 Like

everything besides Calvinball and overwatch

Answer my question: do you believe that the working class should be the ruling class and that the means of production belong to society as a whole instead of the people who paid the money to build out the infrastructure?

that guy in the video thinks the MMR should be made public, I haven’t heard a good reason to doubt him yet

if you wanna argue it’s blizz’s property, I think you know which side I’m on.

Answer my question.

Arguing that you deserve something because you want is isn’t an argument unless you’re a toddler. It’s not valid.

2 Likes

I can’t close my argument until I know what the MMR formula is. So until then, this is just a post about someone who wants the MMR formula to be published.

You can’t close your argument until you present an argument. “Because I want it” isn’t an argument.

spam

and he’s never, ever going to get it so he should stop spamming and answer the question:

Do you believe that the working class should be the ruling class and that the means of production belong to society as a whole instead of the people who paid the money to build out the infrastructure?

Because it’s rigged and they KNOW people would revolt

1 Like

well if they’re actually using that patent to encourage us to buy lootboxes, I really don’t know what to say

1 Like

In my opinion, keeping the matchmaking and MMR calculation algorithms secret is not a legitimate approach if you want the game to have a place in e-sports.

It would also not be so difficult to have the exact functioning of the system reviewed by independent researchers. It does not surprise me that the term “e-sports” is still ridiculed by many.
To make matters worse, there is also this ridiculous and also non-transparent path to pro. [That’s a separate issue.]

2 Likes

Hey, that’s your opinion, so sure.

But you know what kinda invalidates that? MMR and matchmaking don’t come into play anywhere in the e-sports portion of Overwatch. MMR and matchmaking are only for the ranked ladder in the interest of making fair matches, and it seems to work pretty well for me.

2 Likes

In theory, these things are not connected. In reality, they are. (Of course it also has advantages if you are a well-known Twitch streamer)

Below master Rank you simply won’t find a team with which you can go to tournaments or win something.
In addition, no player would even think about starting a professional career if he was stuck in gold rank.

The rating system is supposed to enable you to assess your own abilities and to have a comparative value.
It doesn’t seem to work that well, as is often confirmed by professional players.

If you do not reveal anything about the system, you cannot call it “fair” and expect everyone to believe it.

There are so many anomalies in matchmaking, I don’t even know how to determine if it is going “well” or not.

1 Like

That’s simply not true, there are organized leagues for every bracket.

As it should be, and it illustrates that the matchmaker is pretty accurate. If you think someone could be “stuck” in Gold and go toe-to-toe with a GM, I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe check out Overwatch Curios on YouTube? They do odd matchups like GM vs. Gold and it’s always impressive to see the skill disparity.

Well, when I work on correcting my mistakes I climb. That sounds like a working system to me.

1 Like

you can’t find a team that will take you unless you join their discord. this is a problem, you should be able to handle it all inside the client. If the MMR were to be made public, perhaps such scrutiny of the discord joining wouldn’t be so wide spreadly required. for they could just look at the inner workings of everyones’ sr and not even have to tlak to each other

the accuraracy of the SR has nothing to do with this conversation. it’s about third party verificatioin. i want to think it’s accurate but the patent has me nervous

that’s not what he’s talking about, he’s talking about direct and immediate and exact feedback. he even said GM streamers have the same concern

No one is going to answer your blatantly off topic question. Stop derailing or going so outside to make a weak point. You should receive a forum silence honestly.

1 Like

So? Join their Discord. They’re going to require you to know where health packs are, too. :laughing:

Yes, the accuracy of the SR is a part of this conversation.

So now that I’ve addressed your concerns, show some courtesy and answer my question:

Do you believe that the working class should be the ruling class and that the means of production belong to society as a whole instead of the people who paid the money to build out the infrastructure?

Because that’s not how private property works here, and Blizzard is never, ever, ever going to give you their private property. Work on improving yourself and you’ll climb, end of story.

1 Like

I refuse on a matter of principle. Just like a published MMR system. It’s a matter of principle.

it’s possible for me to trust 100% in the SR system and still want it public.

this is not neciasrly true. vovol didn’t patenten their 3 point safty belt

I’m not derailing anything. OP stated that the entirety of his argument revolves around:

My question is a continuation of the conversation he started; try reading before white-knighting for OP next time.

1 Like

the guy in the video said give it to us cuz we want it. and he has a PhD in matchmaking