Why is the SR/MMR formula kept a secret?

Despite all the joke responses I think this is an important topic. The real issue is not whether people will complain or not. People already complain about it without knowing.

The real issue is that we have a game in which we don’t know the rules. Imagine going to the store and buying a board game and the game came with a lot of really cool things, but missing from the instructions were the conditions for how to win the game. That is what comp is in Overwatch.

Without knowing the rules, you can’t optimize or even say what is worth your time doing/practicing to attempt to improve. You can make guesses, but nobody can definitively say.

2 Likes

It makes me want to rip the hair out of my head :crazy_face:

The only rules we need really know is the “META” which is currently Orisa/Sigma, Hanzo/Mei, and Baptist/Moira. Other situational characters that can be used are Rein/Winston, Reaper/McCree, Mercy/Lucio

All other heroes are underpowered or redundant.

they should acquire the team of Overbuff.com, and include those kinds of global statistics in client. Whether private profile or not.

If it happens in the ladder, it’s public knowledge. Do the Las Vegas Raiders play football behind a curtain?

The formula is actually patented. (You should read it if you can stand to, there’s some REALLY outrageous stuff in there [but the formula isn’t explain in detail]).
But also they don’t tell us because it would give players the ability to abuse it.
Say doing ‘x’ will get you more sr or higher mmr than doing ‘y’. Then we would have throwers only doing ‘x’ and never doing ‘y’.
As an extreme scenario, say Hog gets higher mmr for hooks. But a player abused that by ONLY using hooks for kills but never actually shooting or contributing to the team play. See what I’m saying?
It’s like if Mercy found out she got more sr for shooting her pistol than for healing. There’s suddenly be tons of mercy’s shooting-only.

4 Likes

Whats the patent number?

The flip side of this, is if we knew we could say, “hey it is stupid that mercy gets more sr from shooting her pistol, that should be changed.” Instead we don’t know.

You know what’s always guaranteed to give you more SR? Winning. Even if you knew the formula, it’ll never tell you what’s going to increase your odds of winning. Min/maxing for SR gains will never be as effective as doing what’s most likely to get your team a win - which isn’t guaranteed to overlap with whatever the algorithm thinks is worthy of extra PBSR on a win or slightly less SR subtracted on a loss, anyway.

Sometimes battle Mercy is what the team needs at a clutch moment to get a win. And you know what? Even if it doesn’t result in a win, that battle Mercy is still in your bracket.

Just work on improving yourself, do whatever it takes to pull out a win, and you’ll climb. Focusing on things outside of your control is a waste of time - like spamming posts demanding a massive corporation provide the details of their proprietary information.

2 Likes

That’s actually not even true, sadly. I’ve won games that have given me 0 SR. Maybe its a bug, but nobody can say for certain because is a big secret and nobody knows.

So many people on this forum like to make statements of if you just do this or that then you will gain. But it can’t be proven and without knowing how it works, nobody can say. So trying to make your point you are just guessing, nothing more.

For all you know, the forum criers who say its rigged to try and force a 50% win rate are right. I doubt it. But I have no way to prove it. It’s a secret.

1 Like

I’ve been playing since season 1 and I’ve never experienced that. There’s enough anecdotal evidence that I can accept it might happen sometimes, but it’s still irrelevant - the rest of my post that you ignored is still applicable. Knowing which actions to min/max wouldn’t do anything about a bug.

If you want to know exactly how a game works, then make your own game.

1 Like

It’s kept a secret, because they need a way to rig the game to keep people chasing the ONLY thing most players are playing for, and that’s the SR.

1 Like

https:// patents.justia. com/patent/10376792
^here’s a link to their “match maker patent” where they discuss it.
But if you’re in it for the crazy stuff… I did a slightly more summarized version a while back where I bolded the interesting parts> They're not using aim-bot... -Red pill or blue pill?-
But the TLDR version… we could literally be fighting with/against bots. It sounds like I have tinfoil on my head but I also included in that article how Blizzard and other companies have secretively done something similar in the past.
Idk. I dont let it effect my game play or anything… But after learning that, I pretty much don’t try to make sense of anything.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Because Jeff doesn’t want people to see how they get handicapped after wins, same reason as why GMs cannot leave Silver/Gold if they don’t switch to a carry-hero (DPS mostly).

1 Like

the likelihood of a diamond being in silver and visa versa is essentially non existent. Probably 1 in 999 to the 9999th power

There was a GM who wrote an article how he couldnt get out of gold or sth by playing support only. Needed to play specific carry heroes (mostly dps) instead.

there’s a lot of people who got from plat to gm by playing only support, how do explain all of the examples?

The nba isn’t an online game with a community prone to cheating though and “tricking” the system, bud.
Stop making comparisons to actual sports, a league isn’t the same as ranked because you know, ranked isn’t a league.

3 Likes

Because only selected players may exploit the secret aspects of the Matchmaker.
If everyone knew about it, the ladder would not work properly.

the nba is better than an online community

Bcoz it probably wont work like someones like it to. Imagine that toxicity when you can see your mmr and your team mates mmr and enemy team member mmr, how game is one way crushed already before match even begin… Idea of this match make system probably is that you will get hard games and if you are good enough to glimb even your team mates have way lower mmr than you have, then you deserve next rank. But 80-90% of players thinks that team is only reason why they are lower rank than they thinks belong, blizzard keeps mmr system hidden, probably 80-90% players would quit a game when they see that match making is flaving enemy team members " always ".