Why is the Overwatch team adding more DPS heroes to the roster?

Sym was in the support category even though she was the uguly step child that supports had to take care of for over 2 years.

Tanks have 7 heros plus last new hero was a tank. The new hero was dps ashe. Support have 6 heros and itā€™s time we got new main healer after over year with Moira.

One of them was just added two months ago that one going to take time. Ashe was in development for a year and half. Hammond took 4 years. I wonder how long echo was on in development.

In principle tanks get as many kills as dps. Thatā€™s some hard disconnected because tanks deal as much damage as dps. Get similar elims to dps. Or maybe dps donā€™t want to protect teammates and creat space.

You count Sym as new hero after her rework? Ok, Mercy should Count as two than. Isnā€™t Soldier sort of a healer too?

I am talking about the new heroes which were released. There is a reason why we have much more dps than tanks/healers ā€¦. tanks/healers have a clear job and you donā€™t need 5 shield tanks or 7 main healers. dps are made to get the job done in different ways. Beside that this i a fps and most people want to play dps ā€¦ why push out heroes people donā€™t want to play?

Honestly, there should be no heroes, that are self-sufficient and donā€™t require teammates to play. Due to some unfortunate twist of events, most of such heroes are in DPS categoryā€¦

As DPS, you have to pay attention to enemy team. As tank/support, you have to pay attention to both teams.

Sym kit has drastically changed from a support into a damage hero. So yes they gave dps another damage hero. Instead of making sym more of arieal denial healing support.

38-40 percent player base dps. Support 30 same with tanks. Thatā€™s not most players wanna play dps. Also this isnā€™t a good, battfield, Cā€™s:go itā€™s not pure fps. Dps have clear job to kill granted their job can be done by the other classes. Donā€™t need 5 shield tanks last I checked with had 3 shield tank and right now rein has no commpetion. We have 3 main healers yet ones always clear favorite. Dps have 15 options that means a lot of competition.

Some dps need to be able to work alone and other need their team too, but in the end you always need your team. I have to many games with Sombra were i do my job but nothing gets done because there is no follow up.

Sym was always a dps hero.

And yet every game you have 4 people instant picking dps. People pick tanks/healers because they want to win, not because they want to. I played healer/tank main for 6 Season before i said **** it and even now i play a fair amount of healer/tank so others can play dps too.

Then pick DPS with more damage, like Genji. No follow up needed, if other team is killed.

He can do more on his own, but he still needs his team to create some space. You normally canā€™t just jump into a 1v3 and kill everyone. One of the issues with the game is the constant dps shaming if it doesnā€™t go well. Your Rein did his 5th suicide charge, your Dva is on a midrange 1v1 against Soldier, Lucio is wallriding around the objective and your Moira doesnā€™t have a left mouse button ā€¦. but of course itā€™s the dps fault.

He still got one task: kill other team. Tank has both to make enemy team focus fire on him, and to keep other teammates covered. Healer got two tasks: keep everyone else alive and healed, while also keeping themselves alive.

Of course, there are bad tanks and healers, but teams usually report them fairly quick, for not performing their role. But more commonly tanks and healers have to do killing, if DPS are not up to the task they supposed to be good at.

DPS is most ā€œvisibleā€ role, so impact or lack of one is always in sight of everyone.

Depends on what tank and healer. Off tanks are dps with more hp and less dmg. And noone expects Rein or Orisa to go in and kill everyone. Same goes for healers ā€¦ most healers are very good at staying alive and only Ana needs to really focus on healing ā€¦. all other healers hit basicly automatic.

[citation needed]

The only real 2 things you can empirically point out that have power creep are stuns, and mobility. By God mobility has seen vast increases across the board.

Tanks and healers got contradicting goals.

On one side, you have to survive, so you better to stay away from action. But you also have to protect/heal teammates, so you canā€™t just stay away and be safe.

DPS rarely have such contradiction: you have to stay near enemy, and survive there, while earning kills. Sole exception to this is Widowmaker. Why stay near enemy? Easier to hit, less obstacles for your target to hide behind, lower chance that your opponent escapes.

Itā€™s the tanks job to protect the healers and keep the enemys busy and for off tanks to get some kills too. If your tanks do their Job your healers will have a much easier time to stay alive and can focus on healing and CC. dps need to now when to attack what target and dps players need more mechanical skill than most healers and tanks.

Mechanical skill is based on reflexes, itā€™s not mind games. And attack order can be as simple as ā€œwhoever hurts/can hurt me mostā€.

DPS dying delays advance of the team, but dying tank or healer can stop one completely. Like you said, there are main and off-tanks and healers. But there are no main and off-DPS.

1 Like

Most healers and tanks require little mechanical skill, they are more about gamesense. Sure, you should land a hook ones in a while but in most elos a dps main can switch to a tank or healer and play well enough to win ā€¦ the other way around is much harder. I see to many people saying Sombra is a no skill hero ā€¦ hack can not fail and you canā€™t die. It can be very difficould to land hacks at the right moment on the right target and you need experience to now when to translocate out and when not. And there are attack and defense dps like main and off tanks.

About Sombra: she isnā€™t loved, because she isnā€™t very good at earning kills. She is good at debuffing via hackā€¦but debuffing enemy is one of healerā€™s tasks.

She isnā€™t ā€œno skillā€ hero, but she is bad at one thing DPS heroes expected to excel at, while also not having tank/support abilities to compensate.

Yes, but sheā€™s still her own best counter. Never said only.

Ana and Doomfist are also OP. Genji isnā€™t that far from being OP too, still being on top of the DPS category despite Dive being dead. And no, itā€™s not just Nanoblade.

Because having a Monkey or a MEKA diving her usually neuters her, thankfully. That and Mercy with Rez on cooldown were better, for a while.

It was mostly D.Va and Genji. They were top picks everywhere.

She still requires skill to be useful. Even now, sheā€™s not the most picked support until Platinum. And despite that, sheā€™s in 65% of games across all ranks.
70% in Plat, 80% in Diamond, 95%+ in Master/GMā€¦