Why is OW the only game that assumes 66% of the team/playerbase shouldn't play DPS?

The way I look at it, regardless of how it’s implemented, it can only make things better. DPS players who are forced to play off roles, will no longer rage-qwit and change to DPS in the last 2 minutes of the game. It would be naive of you to assume that the DPS population will just quit. If they like DPS, they will be foreced to learn off roles like the rest of us. If all you can do is DPS, I don’t really want you in my game.

1 Like

And i actually 100% get that, its on Blizzard to make heros like that . Orisa is boring af

1 Like

Right. They say a lot of things that are confirmed false at a later date. However, I would say that perhaps you should look at the base roster and do some basic math, fam.

1 Like

Oh, well hey as a support main I wouldn’t mind that at all, but you know how it is around here, an OP tank or support wouldn’t fly. They’d be asking for nerfs.

1 Like

Antivaxx and flat earther?

Didnt saw problem with picking tanks over dps in paladins too often, i would even say that there even more people played tanks than dps at least in matches i played, and its 5 v 5 compared to overwatch, so there 2 tanks was more than in this game in %. :man_shrugging:

But i didnt played for long time, mayby it changed over time

Many RPGs don’t force you to run a specific comp. WoW doesn’t, Rift doesn’t, from what I played of FF online it doesn’t, none of the RPGs I’ve played force you to run them, etc.

I

This was a brilliant and thoughtful post.

Rofl, that was your best counter argument. Come on, give me something a bit more substantial so I can destroy you too.

Honestly if the player base wasn’t so selfish, needing to play DPS EVERY SINGLE GAME, then they wouldn’t need to do this.
People need to learn they can’t always get what they want.

1 Like

My problem is…who cares what they as in the devs enjoy?

They enjoy pushing out the same events with little changes where-as most of the players don’t. They seem to enjoy giving us only a handful of skins per event, when most of the players would want more.

Maybe the problem is that they’ve been revolving the game around what they find fun and not what the players would find fun.

3 Likes

While I hate the idea of forced 2-2-2, I will touch upon “why is OW the only game that assumes 66% of the player-base shouldn’t be play DPS?”

This is a flawed point of view to take. Only because all the heroes have capacity to DPS-- regardless of role. And some much better than others. THere are some supports/tanks that do a better job of DPS than DPS themselves.

No one said you couldn’t play dps OP, just don’t be mad at longer queues :man_shrugging:

Yeah you know you do 411, then you get a bunch of bad Tracers, Soldiers, Widows, Genjis, McCrees, Ashes (like myself) running around because they couldn’t get that one tank or one support role in time. But hey if they don’t mind that I’ve always wanted to give Ashe a try.

The base roster is irrelevant since there was this thing at launch called no hero limits meaning if you wanted 6 mercys, it didnt matter how the roster was spread at the beginning to them because they allowed you to pick up to 6 of the same hero, so they focused on the fun aspect and created fun characters first and foremost

If i could play an OP juggernaut tank then you could believe that i would do anything but try to tank for my team when i played that role.

I would just farm kills and enjoy feeling superior.
Which kind of defeats the purpose of even wanting a tank in the team in the first place.

Many of the tanks are as fun as DPS, but almost only if there’s healing. There is some hope that with guaranteed healing, more people will enjoy playing tanks, as well, i.e. that 66% you mentioned might be closer to the actual number than you think.

Issue is this isn’t a PvE game.

In WoW, you have the single tank draw all the aggro from the AI controlled enemies, and the single healer just focuses on keeping the single tank up.

In OW, it’s not as simple as “press button, everyone automatically targets me.” Players are much more unpredictable than bots literally programmed to target certain people under certain circumstances. You need multiple tanks to be able to split your attention in the different ways the enemy is pulling you, and you need multiple healers to keep not just keep them alive, but the DPS and even the healers themselves, as no matter what the tanks do, there is no guarantee that the others won’t be targeted.

It’s not that the 66% of the players shouldn’t play DPS, it’s just that you typically need more than one healer and more than one tank, and with only 6 available slots, that sorta leaves the DPS with the crumbs.

3 Likes

Flanks and DPS have been ramped up so hard the tanks and supports don’t want to play anymore. Lian has a broken card talent on top of hee autoaim, Maeve’s Street Justice talent is busted to hell, Skye is either unstoppable or a throw pick and there is no in-between, and Zhin and Hanzo could honestly team up to be the most hated characters in both games.

And I’ve only been playing a week and a half.

You’re right, they do take up the largest group. SO the dps are easily replaceable then

Hymm, good to know, back when i was plaing ashe, torvald, makoa and tank with axe was almost every game cleaning the house, and most of times people just pick them even outside of ranked.

1 Like