Why is OW getting so much hate?

When you see a mega thread for Brigette for example even after her nerfs and people still complain because her pickrates and winrates are still high, they can at least say something.

We have a ptr server. That server is probably for bug testing only. They can experiment with thousands of changes. If it’s too much tone it down, if it isn’t enough increase it, QoL changer here and there etc. etc.

And yes, balance changes everege once per 2~3 months and they are not even that significant.

1 Like

Their automated report system that can be easily abused, and recent tendency to have the game be completely clean and ban people for even the slightest thing doesn’t help either.

Nobody that matters cares about any of this though.

When I see most of those threads, I just sigh and shake my head.

Again, people complain about everything. Just last week there was a “Bastion is op” thread because of pirate ship.

Most of the developers have more experience in the gaming community then the average whiner on the forums.

So yah, I refuse to listen to threads from people that don’t know how to learn to counter or switch. Because it’s about adapting and people are refusing to do it.

1 Like

This game receives hate because it’s a Sith tool to increase your connection to the dark side.

It’s meant to evoke hate from you.

Think about, how often have you felt pretty good, happy even, sat down to play some Overwatch and suddenly felt like you wanted to force choke at least half your team?

So the next time you get angry at Overwatch, just remember that everything is proceeding as Jeff has foreseen it.

5 Likes

The terrible balance we see now is mostly thanks to them catering to the people who cry the loudest on the forums and on Reddit…and said whiners are typically terrible players to begin with.

1 Like

The issue is they aren’t fixing as they go. Sombra is the most recent victim (A list of Sombra's Many, Many Bugs (6), Now with more LOS Bugs! - #15 by Xaron-1831), but Doomfist, Mercy, Bastion; all of these heroes recieved some huge change that was kinda pushed out, and aren’t getting fixed or are taking an insane ammount of time to do so.

It’s not even a matter of “they have a lot on their plate right now.” Overwatch Forums This post is from October, 5 months after Doomfist’s release and 4 months that he had been in the gutter, overridden by bugs since his hitbox nerf. He was ignored. Reinhardt’s had bugs in his kit since the beginning of the game; they’re not even in the Known Issues list. Sombra’s had dozens of posts illustrating her many bugs since her changes were quite literally pushed live; there’s been no talk of fixing, no mention that they’d even been seen. Bastion’s been in the gutter since his spread nerf; no word about him. Symmetra’s been terrible to since her rework, and now they’re turning her into a brand new character. 150 THOUSAND comments on Mercy and how she’s boring and as far from interactive as she can be, and we get the standard “pickrate/winrate” argument that doesn’t address anyone’s concerns.

The developers release a Developer update once a month to tell us what they’re planning to do, but it also shows us what isn’t in their mind at the same time. It’s ridiculous that the bugs have never made the cut once. In the vacuum we play in, it’s literally impossible not to feel ignored when our favorite hereos get a sledgehammer nerf while others get poked and prodded with Q-tips until they do well.

2 Likes

I think entities are trying to take business from them so maybe a smear campaign.

Not really. And like I said, beyond a few, the majority are balanced.

Like I said, people will complain about anything. Tracers hair got complained about. Meis back. Ana’s freaking parrot not having a name like Bastions bird. This is the community. That’s the example.

If they listened to the forums and reddit, then the game would be completely different from the way it is now.

Because, ultimately, community doesn’t have a clue what’s needed for the game. They base everything off of feelings and their own opinions. They are professionals. Most can’t ecen debate without their own feelings getting in the way of it.

They lose the ability for Genji to triple jump off of a rock and people lose their minds.

Tracer can’t ult Bastion anymore and she’s now broken.

So yah, when there is megathreads of said whiners, whom you say are terrible to begin with, why shouldn’t blizzard do their own thing and not respond to them?

2 Likes

Doomfist and Sombra have bugs. I can agree with this. Mercy is perfectly balanced now. Granted, many Mercy mains say boring to play, but that’s a lingering feeling when she was overtuned. Not going to get into a Mercy debate though since it would just get locked and moved to megathread. (I personally find her fun enough) Bastion is fine, just doesn’t fit in well with any meta really beyond pirate ship. King of the niche.

Actually, that’s something we don’t know. We don’t know any of their timeline. They might be hard working on the next hero right now. They are heavily working on the Sym changes. And Torb changes right after that. They don’t have an overly large team to begin with and we don’t know the daily life of what they do.

As far as bugs go, it also depends on the rarity scale. I’ve played quite a bit of Rein and I rarely see bugs. But, someone that mains him might see it a bit more. On top of that though, it’s human nature for one thing. If you see a problem once, suddenly you think it happens all the time. People can never provide an actual statistic of how often it happens. They just say “all the time” and being in the tech field now, I know that’s a lie from most people’s mouths. They just “feel” like it happens all the time. Doesn’t make it so.

Every update there are bugs being fixed. But here’s the problem with coding and humans. We aren’t perfect. Expecting perfection out of the developers is the communities problem. On top of that, mixing old code with new code always causes problems. New code can make old code corrupt. It can fall apart. And what was perfect before can suddenly have errors all over the place. Even coding that doesn’t directly interact with the original code.

1 Like

People get just tired of asking the same thing over and over for 2 years now

For example…

Leaver problem…
Nerfs/buffs on hero’s
Matchmaking
SR gain/loss
Smurfing
Balancing
and i can go on for a while but we never get answers…

They can add new characters, but that doesnt solve the issue’s allready in the game, in fact they become even a bigger issue…

It feels like if the community say “nerf” they give it a buff instead, and if the community ask for a buff, they come with a nerf or rework…

Thats why people get tired of it…

Being a player of HOTS since beta days I shouldn’t be surprised by the way the state of OW’s game balance is but somehow I still get disappointed.

HOTS used to get hate back then, so does OW now for the same reasons.

Put a lot of work into mastering heroes, these heroes are now significantly weaker than newer picks, I’m upset that I can out-skill someone but they are more useful because of the meta shift. Team comp diversity is really bad right now, makes me sad.

80%=Players refusing to adapt to change
10%=toxic players (is an actual issue, but not enough to warrent hate)
10%=angry outsiders (mostly tf2 players, however recently, has been fortnite players).
At least from what I have seen. Don’t take it from me.

1 Like

But again, does it go back to people’s feelings or what is actually healthy for the game? Like I said, people judge by emotion. Not by logic.

Per your examples:

• I agree with Leaver problem. The punishment needs to be harsher.

• An emotion thing. There are ones that need some nerfs/buffs, but not a whole lot. People come up with some radical ideas more often times then not that would completely change up how things go. As example: Someone suggested that Bastion’s ult became his primary fire and did 120 damage like Pharah’s rocket or Junks damage. With crit abilities. Nope.

• MMR is a flawed system. It takes awhile to really hammer it out. However, it really only affects the sides of the spectrum. It’s horrible for Bronze/Silver. And it’s horrible for Masters/GM. The reason being for the less amount of people in them. Gold/Plat is really the best area to be in since it has the largest bulk of people in it. Diamond is iffy depending where you sit on it.

• Smurfing isn’t that big of a problem. At least not on PC. Possibly on console since people are able to make accounts all the time. If a Smurf is actually played, they quickly push themselves out of the purpose of the smurf.

• Like I said, balancing is ultimately fine.

• Like I also said, they aren’t obligated to give us any answers.

New characters go either way. I, personally, would be perfectly fine if they took a break from new characters and worked on the bugs and changes to the already pre-existing ones. However, I don’t speak for everyone. After every new character released, there are already people wanting information for the next one. There is even people that complain WEEKLY (sometimes daily) about the speed of content. Wanting characters and maps faster.

Community is wrong. For better or for worse, sometimes it just needs to be left to the professionals.

Pretty much what you wrote. I mean for the fact they spent a year on tweaking Mercy proves they aren’t truly on their A game. So many feedback tosses aside for not much. Tracer still the same and please like an ultimate nerf was really the big problem. Ban duration stacking over nonsense stuff not understanding players do get in a the heat of moment, but still contribute.

No warning messages from game masters like WoW does. To make it all worst competitive play isn’t even competitive because you can’t even ban heroes where in Paladins you can. At least in Paladins you don’t need to rely on your healer because all you need to do it go out of combat to regenerate hp. All the heroes in this game yet they do little tweaks to keep the balance.

Then you have the toxic players that just wants to throw. You don’t even need to be a one trick hero to claim yourself as throwing. Players just throw a fit and don’t bother to do good synergy with the team. It’s me, myself and I mentality that goes on with these team based games.

Overall Overwatch is Over stress yourself to the point you might as well don’t play the game as much anymore. Players themselves fails to see and admit they’re not as good as they thought. See attack torb and Symmetra I might as well throw too. No! that’s not the answer! The answer = barrier tanks and a good healer to keep all up as best as possible. Work with the synergy. Not the opposite.

1. Poor balancing decisions that always result in one character getting overbuffed or another getting overnerfed, and nothing really changing.
  2. OWL still boring as hell to watch unless you’re watching a Shanghai Dragons match to see if they can actually get a victory.
  3. Lootbox crookedness still exists, despite more countries calling it out as gambling and therefore illegal in some territories and frowned upon everywhere else.
  4. Lack of any real content after two years outside of a couple new maps and characters. No other game modes, campaign missions, or anything else, since for whatever reason Blizzard is relegating all story bits into poorly done alternate media.
  5. Community is still one of the most toxic in the entirety of gaming, and the developers still pretend to think that everything is peachy keen and choose to ignore most of the problems.

I mean, there are probably more reasons, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

1 Like

Maybe because way smaller developers working on way less of a budget consistently put out more content/cosmetics, quicker to balance and squash bugs, interact with the community, listen to the community, play their own game, have better competitive matchmaking, have a better grasp of their own game in general, etc. etc. etc.
Blizz just sits in an ivory tower, while they count our money and laugh.

4 Likes

Mercy is balanced, but she doesn’t have any impact on the game anymore. Overwatch Forums She’s balanced, but she’s not awesome to play. However you’re right, this isn’t the place to have that. The void which no moderator has ever read is where we talk about it.

Bastion isn’t fine. If he were good at his niche, he’d have a similar pickrate and winrate to that of the builders. As it stands, he’s only beaten out by Sombra in terms of pickrate and winrate, indicating that he isn’t even good where he’s supposed to be good.

This is something I could have phrased better. Even when there wasn’t a lot on the Devs plate, which we now know, characters have been ignored. That’s what the link was for. Even when they aren’t busy, they’ve ignored glaring issues to the point where they can’t even support the “we see everything on the forums” line they pull when it’s convienent.

I can provide you a decent statistic. A list of Sombra's Many, Many Bugs (6), Now with more LOS Bugs! - #15 by Xaron-1831
The solo Uprising youtube videos? All happened within about 4 games of Uprising. That’s something llike 7 or 8 videos within 4 games. If each of those games had roughly the same stats of about 5 matches (assuming 20 elims per standard match as Sombra), then that’s .4 bugs encountered per match, which is seriously lowballing it because some of those videos show multiple bugs and I was only allowed to record up to three instances per game.

The Translocator Hitbox bug? 100% of the time it can happen, simply because the game doesn’t move Sombra’s hitbox instantly like it’s supposed to. Don’t sit there and tell me I’m imagining things when I literally have a dozen videos showing Sombra’s terrible kit, and hundreds of Sombra players going through the same issues. They aren’t rare, they really do happen all the time.

Bugs like Orisa’s elbows clipping into her leg when she holds a puppy, or Moira’s arm moving in a funny visual way when she melee’s after saying hello or something. Not bugs that literally have an impact on the game. Furthermore, Sombra’s bugs have been shown dozens of times even before the latest patch, yet the known issues list hasn’t been updated to include any of them. Reinhardt’s bugs have been shown hundreds of times until launch, and they still haven’t mentioned them.

I don’t ask for perfection. I ask for acknowledgement. Humans aren’t perfect, and the developers are no exception. But they have yet to own up to a single mistake they have made in terms of any of their heroes.

• Poor by your standards, most of the characters are balanced just fine.

• I find OWL fun to watch. I imagine myself being able to take on a few unrealistically. Boring is subjective. There’s a real simple solution to this problem, if you find it boring, don’t watch it. Over 100k people on Twitch alone watch it though during just the regular games.

• The lootbox “problem” always makes me laugh. People act like they get game changing things from them. I mean, it could be like Battlefield and give you things that give you an advantage. Since everything in the boxes is COSMETIC ONLY, then I find no problem with it. By the way, 2 countries. Belgium and Netherlands. Japan just has to list the odds of it and what you can possibly win.

• The Arcade mode wasn’t there at launch. (Which is a ton of new modes) All the new events in the first year. Yeti and Archives added. And what’s this shocker Overwatch is not a PvE game and doesn’t need any campaign missions beyond the seasonal stuff. If you want to play a PvE game, there are many more on the market. OW is marketed and sold as a PVP game.

• Community isn’t Blizzards fault. Only the peoples. Community is far worse on LoL.

Yes but its the people who play the game… They can do what is "healthy"by the books, but if that doesnt make ur community happy… there is more ways to rome then only one… :wink:

2 Likes