Why is OW getting so much hate?

Blizzard has done more this year (only halfway through) than they have done any past year. We’ve gotten Reaper, Sombra (somewhat), Hanzo, Mei, Junkrat, D.va, Genji, and Brigitte altered in some way to make the game better. I know, not all changes were perfect but we have never gotten these many hero changes during any other time, combined. It shows that it is a step in the right direction. Not to mention the huge upgrades in the events we’ve gotten (higher skin quality, PvE, more lore, etc). Overwatch still has a lot to make up for to catch up, but this year has been the most signifcant of all. Not to mention other heroes are also going to be reworked this year such as Symmetra, and others like Reinhardt, Torbjorn, etc.

comp is still not fun though :frowning:

6 Likes

Maybe because it’s the lack of response from the devs.

Maybe because the balance team is terrible

Maybe because we get balance changes once per 3 months

Maybe because people are unhappy with getting false reported and banned.

Etc.

But just maybe.

55 Likes

Yep.

1 Like

They have gotten a lot done, but most of it has made the game worse.

21 Likes
  • Dev team is not obligated to respond to each and every person.

• Besides from a few, balance is ultimately fine. Let’s see you take on a project like that and make everything perfect.

• It’s not on your time line. Changes have come sooner and longer then that.

• This is a valid one. The auto system needs to go.

The main problem I see is people just complain everyday. The whiners are always the loudest. It’s like a toxic work environment. When people didn’t moan and cry everyday, the devs were a lot more responsive.

4 Likes

Because the devs haven’t done exactly what I want. Only I can balance this game. They NEED to listen to me.

8 Likes

I mean, if it were my job working for a multibillion dollar company that people would kill to be a part of to work on one of the most popular shooters of the age, I’d try to make it as perfect as I can before I push it live.

5 Likes

Maybe if the community rallied together on issues like balance/matchmaking fixes as good as they did w/ nonsense like “Torb-gate”, we might actually see positive change. I’ve seen more community outcry over one streamer getting banned than I have for other important issues.

Constant throwers/trolls in comp (which costs YOU SR, by the way)
QP being an inadequate place to practice any new hero (“it’s just QP bruh” mentality)… (also partially explains why many one-tricks don’t try to learn a new hero)

The list goes on.

5 Likes

Having worked for a big game in the past, it isn’t that easy. When the community is always demanding updates, sometimes it’s better to push out and fix as you go.

2 Likes

It isn’t a perfect game…but I still love it overall. To those insulting the dev team, it could be worse…much worse. Sledgehammer games hyped up their golden baby (COD WWII) for so long, and it was literally unplayable for over a week and a half, and riddled w/ crippling bugs for months…

Count your blessings, honestly.

1 Like

The cancer has metastasized. Dev attention is the chemo that will keep the game alive for 6 months more.

When you see a mega thread for Brigette for example even after her nerfs and people still complain because her pickrates and winrates are still high, they can at least say something.

We have a ptr server. That server is probably for bug testing only. They can experiment with thousands of changes. If it’s too much tone it down, if it isn’t enough increase it, QoL changer here and there etc. etc.

And yes, balance changes everege once per 2~3 months and they are not even that significant.

1 Like

Their automated report system that can be easily abused, and recent tendency to have the game be completely clean and ban people for even the slightest thing doesn’t help either.

Nobody that matters cares about any of this though.

When I see most of those threads, I just sigh and shake my head.

Again, people complain about everything. Just last week there was a “Bastion is op” thread because of pirate ship.

Most of the developers have more experience in the gaming community then the average whiner on the forums.

So yah, I refuse to listen to threads from people that don’t know how to learn to counter or switch. Because it’s about adapting and people are refusing to do it.

1 Like

This game receives hate because it’s a Sith tool to increase your connection to the dark side.

It’s meant to evoke hate from you.

Think about, how often have you felt pretty good, happy even, sat down to play some Overwatch and suddenly felt like you wanted to force choke at least half your team?

So the next time you get angry at Overwatch, just remember that everything is proceeding as Jeff has foreseen it.

5 Likes

The terrible balance we see now is mostly thanks to them catering to the people who cry the loudest on the forums and on Reddit…and said whiners are typically terrible players to begin with.

1 Like

The issue is they aren’t fixing as they go. Sombra is the most recent victim (A list of Sombra's Many, Many Bugs (6), Now with more LOS Bugs! - #15 by Xaron-1831), but Doomfist, Mercy, Bastion; all of these heroes recieved some huge change that was kinda pushed out, and aren’t getting fixed or are taking an insane ammount of time to do so.

It’s not even a matter of “they have a lot on their plate right now.” Overwatch Forums This post is from October, 5 months after Doomfist’s release and 4 months that he had been in the gutter, overridden by bugs since his hitbox nerf. He was ignored. Reinhardt’s had bugs in his kit since the beginning of the game; they’re not even in the Known Issues list. Sombra’s had dozens of posts illustrating her many bugs since her changes were quite literally pushed live; there’s been no talk of fixing, no mention that they’d even been seen. Bastion’s been in the gutter since his spread nerf; no word about him. Symmetra’s been terrible to since her rework, and now they’re turning her into a brand new character. 150 THOUSAND comments on Mercy and how she’s boring and as far from interactive as she can be, and we get the standard “pickrate/winrate” argument that doesn’t address anyone’s concerns.

The developers release a Developer update once a month to tell us what they’re planning to do, but it also shows us what isn’t in their mind at the same time. It’s ridiculous that the bugs have never made the cut once. In the vacuum we play in, it’s literally impossible not to feel ignored when our favorite hereos get a sledgehammer nerf while others get poked and prodded with Q-tips until they do well.

2 Likes

I think entities are trying to take business from them so maybe a smear campaign.

Not really. And like I said, beyond a few, the majority are balanced.

Like I said, people will complain about anything. Tracers hair got complained about. Meis back. Ana’s freaking parrot not having a name like Bastions bird. This is the community. That’s the example.

If they listened to the forums and reddit, then the game would be completely different from the way it is now.

Because, ultimately, community doesn’t have a clue what’s needed for the game. They base everything off of feelings and their own opinions. They are professionals. Most can’t ecen debate without their own feelings getting in the way of it.

They lose the ability for Genji to triple jump off of a rock and people lose their minds.

Tracer can’t ult Bastion anymore and she’s now broken.

So yah, when there is megathreads of said whiners, whom you say are terrible to begin with, why shouldn’t blizzard do their own thing and not respond to them?

2 Likes

Doomfist and Sombra have bugs. I can agree with this. Mercy is perfectly balanced now. Granted, many Mercy mains say boring to play, but that’s a lingering feeling when she was overtuned. Not going to get into a Mercy debate though since it would just get locked and moved to megathread. (I personally find her fun enough) Bastion is fine, just doesn’t fit in well with any meta really beyond pirate ship. King of the niche.

Actually, that’s something we don’t know. We don’t know any of their timeline. They might be hard working on the next hero right now. They are heavily working on the Sym changes. And Torb changes right after that. They don’t have an overly large team to begin with and we don’t know the daily life of what they do.

As far as bugs go, it also depends on the rarity scale. I’ve played quite a bit of Rein and I rarely see bugs. But, someone that mains him might see it a bit more. On top of that though, it’s human nature for one thing. If you see a problem once, suddenly you think it happens all the time. People can never provide an actual statistic of how often it happens. They just say “all the time” and being in the tech field now, I know that’s a lie from most people’s mouths. They just “feel” like it happens all the time. Doesn’t make it so.

Every update there are bugs being fixed. But here’s the problem with coding and humans. We aren’t perfect. Expecting perfection out of the developers is the communities problem. On top of that, mixing old code with new code always causes problems. New code can make old code corrupt. It can fall apart. And what was perfect before can suddenly have errors all over the place. Even coding that doesn’t directly interact with the original code.

1 Like