Why is nobody watching the OW2 beta?

It’s because Blizzard isn’t doing a damage control, win back your player base, sort of marketing campaign. They seem to think it’s 2015-2016 and OW is still new hotness.
That’s it, that’s the main problem.

The first limited beta wasn’t a great plan and a closed beta as you sell beta access is even worse. Then a Twitch streaming skin sale before anyone/everyone can even play the game? Really?

It’s just not a good marketing campaign for a rebuild. When the game drops into early access in Oct I’m sure it will do fine but it will be on the strength of the IP being crazy popular. Blizzard seems to be really struggling with everything else about OW for some reason. I don’t have a good answers or easy fix other than ya need people PLAYING a game to care about it, at all.

20 Likes

Honestly, this. Finally played a bunch of Tank tonight, and it just felt like OW1, but worse. It’s not a mindblowing difference, it just puts more power into the Damage characters so supports and tanks die more often, which in turn makes those roles feel a lot worse.

I have been genuinely unimpressed with what I’ve played so far. Support felt godawful, and I don’t get why some folks are saying tanking feels much better, felt as bad as solo tanking ever felt in OW1 to me. My games as damage felt like I was playing on easy mode, it’s a shooting gallery with no CC or defenses to stop them.

17 Likes

U win back your player base changing the fundamental of the game your base played for years? U can’t win back your player base with such choice, at least (at least) u divide the community in two.

18 Likes

Because… I’d rather actually play it? Like :joy:

OW is not for the casuals tbh.

It looks just like OW1. Would the average stream-browser even know the difference?

“Oh, I’ve seen this before…”

Plus that. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I just replied to someone who posted after me. Forum inception… ception… ception…

3 Likes

Watching doesn’t come with a beta access.

3 Likes

It is not what is supposed to stimulate the vision, the problem remain.

You do when your game moved away from the core fundamentals that made it popular in the first place. OW was at it’s peak in the early years when it was more action, less power creep, shields and CC. OW1 is a shell of that now.

So they need players to play the game to feel the changes. Blizzcon 2019 had a playable demo. Now in 2022 and TWO betas into OW2, there are still players who have never been able to play OW2 at all.
As Blizzard is like hey watch OWL on OW2, go watch this streamer play OW2 and buy a skin, blind buy all this OW2 stuff too… for game you having not been able to play (unless you pay first).

It’s just not the correct marketing move, even if as I said I’m sure come launch it’s not going to mater based off the power of the IP.

4 Likes

LOL, they don’t lose anything.

2 Likes

It doesn’t help that everyone i the Brig promotion has been told to stream under Overwatch rather than Overwatch 2.

I don’t see how it makes sense either.

1 Like

His comment reminded me of “there are still children starving in the world!” (snort)

there are still people today that either thought the watchpoint pack was ow2 and got pissed when they realized what it was and people that still think it’s a paid sequel not worth bothering with because it’s the same.
Also people who know about the upgrade but still have troible visualizing it as a patch.

The average joe that doesn’t religiously follow blizzard news is confused

2 Likes

I understand what you are talking about, believe me, but what you call turn over or strategy is less about players performance and more about the game let you do it if you understand mechanics. In ow2 the teamplay would thrive, but it would require you to be more precise, and perform faster, or you will miss opportunity and everything screwed. Ppl not used to a new pace of the game, that is why they don’t see the playmaking in ow2. But there are a lot of things and interactions that require the best individual performance to make a play of it.

Can only speak for myself but as a console player i didnt have access beta 1 and checked out some streams for beta 1. I have NEVER watched a twitch stream before. I would assume there are others like me who wont watch again but are still excited for the game.

More precise and perform faster = the same basilar skills required for every FPS

And there is ranked match for placing u where u belong, BUT, this has nothing to do with what OW2 lose respect to OW1, what u write about change nothing of what i write, i try to explain WHY OW2 is less interesting to watch (and to play).

1 Like

they will start inviting the players that “opted-in” starting july 5th (Said in FAQ) so till then its a mostly Pro and Watchpoint pack exlcusive Beta

They won’t have it, it’s like that, you pay or you don’t have access to the beta, you’re not a VIP user, we’re secondary trash for the OW Team, they see a new player or someone who never plays with better eyes.

2 Likes

after they got 1.5 million viewers for the beta drop and made a big post bragging about it they didn’t need numbers no more

1 Like

They saw what people will do for beta access and some guy in marketing said “Lets make a phat profit outta this” Inb4 Watchpoint pack

4 Likes