Why is handicapping with an MMR in competition bad?

Look, I don’t care how many threads you start. I’m just trying to give you some advice on how to improve. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking that would be something you want.

1 Like

I have improved. On my alt account (that may or may not exist according to others) I am still at high silver and low gold. I’m down two matches from 50%, but a lot of that has to do with flexing to characters I wasn’t good at. I actually have fairly decent game sense and mechanical skills with the characters I pick to play.

It’s great that you’re improving. Why complain so much, then? Are you not having fun playing the game?

3 Likes

Never flex to characters you aren’t good at. When you stop doing this, you will climb. I can play a few characters from each role, but:

• if you want a support I’m only going to play Brigette or Zen, certainly not going to play Mercy. If you want a Mercy, you play it.
  • if you want a tank, I’m only going to play Orisa, Roadhog or Winston, certainly not going to play Rein. If you want Rein, you play it.
  • if you want a dps, I’m only going to play Soldier, McCree or Mei. If you want a Pharah, bad luck, you play it.

Never play someone you aren’t good at. Or if you find yourself wanting to fill often, get good at 1 or maybe 2 characters in that role.

1 Like

Just about everything about that thread you linked is wrong. It is only there to give bad players something to blame other than their own ability for why they can’t rank up.

To see how the system actually works, see How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12), especially the summary and the popular myths sections.

2 Likes

Thanks for carrying on the discussion, Zenren! You’re asking the right questions.

If anyone wants to contribute to the active (i.e., not locked) thread, you can find it here:

I genuinly wish Blizzard shows you and Zehren the MMR string.

And like they explained, it would turn out into something like this:
sad45sa3cd1sa3d1w2ec316241c15as135sdwas514354313c02sq1cas3

You have no idea what it says and there is a reason it’s not shown and displayed trough an easier to read number (SR)

1 Like

Actually I don’t want to see the MMR string, I want them to quit quantifying fun and competition through an algorithm and just let it play out. My favorite FPS of all time was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I play it to this day and there is absolutely no MMR. Do I fail miserably in some matches? Absolutely, but it’s just so fun to play that there never was a need to manipulate the game by adding computer regulated match making. The issue with Blizzard is that they don’t have enough confidence that their product can stand on its own merits and instead they try to doctor the experience so they can create an artificial struggle that doesn’t need to be there.

1 Like

And that exists, it’s called Quick Play.

But it’s not an issue, every competitive system with teams works like this. Teams get formed based on skilled and then put into different tier brackets. Both real life and in games. Games like CSGO, RB6 etc. they all use it

But competitive leagues like the NFL for Amarican Football as well, imagine where they form a competition where the New England Patrioits get to play a high school team to win the super bowl…

You wanting MMR removed only shows the lack of knowledge you have about gaming and what MMR actually is. You just want a second quickplay for whatever reason.

1 Like

MMR is bad because the SR System expects you to carry your team. It contradicts what Blizzard says and that “Overwatch is a teambased game”… your MMR is 4000 your SR 3700 and you end up in a 3400 Game and the SR-System expects you to carry but if your team is bad you simply cant carry because thats not Counterstrike. So… you most likely lose the match and thats what they call then “forces 50% win/lose rate”… we call it manipulating. But Blizzard doesnt care. They still say that Mercy rework was a success. They dotn even know what ballancing is… so there is no surprise why they dont understand why handicapping is bad and frustrating. It just feels like you got cheated at.

1 Like

Zenren is NoobNoob, both account in bronze. How about them apples?

2 Likes

I would not be shocked in any way if the two of them were the same player.

1 Like

They are because they have the exact same spelling mistakes and use the same heroes, and he also claimed his other account was in Gold and climbing.

2 Likes

If your MMR was 4000, you’d be in a game with other players who have a 4000 MMR. The only way you’re gonna have a higher or lower MMR above diamond is either decay or new account

Nope, MMR is used to handicap you by the system expecting you to carry some games. SR is used to pair you up in competitive, not your MMR. Decay is ignored in placements and thats why a GM that decayed to 3000 still gets GM placed in next season. And normal matches are sometimes like that: MMR 4300 SR 3700 you get matched in 3500 with some 3200/3300 and wonder why you lose a ton of SR by losing yet? System placed placed you in a matche where you are supposed to carry and because of your high sr/mmr you get 8 SR for winning and -34 SR for losing. even in 4300 region they get sometimes placed in diamond and win like 1 or 2 SR but lose like 40 for losing.

That’s false, MMR is used to create a match.
That’s why GM’s can decay to diamond and still join GM matches

WARNING: Incoming Blizz employees with personal accounts to defend themselves.

I GM decayed to 3k, is still placed in GM games. That’s why you get diamonds with GM’s excluding early morning games. Do you even know what MMR stands for? It does handicap you, it places you against better players because your gameplay suggests that you are doing better.

I wish I got paid to play this game

Why it’s bad in simple terms.

Lets assume 5 new players just start the game

. 4 Players end up being really good at the game

. The Fifth player really sucks, but because they all match the same SR levels they play together.

. Fifth player is boosted but in reality is the worst player you could play with.

. Later they no longer play together that fifth player matches with players higher than what they should be.

The player then just drags down the entire team with them because they are huge heavy anchor that sinks to the bottom of the sea?

This is why MMR, and SR ratings make no sense because it doesn’t evaluate individual player skill, but goes based off win / loss which is perfectly fine if you have a premade team.

However restricting players who are too low / high of SR from playing together is insane, there needs to be an option to allow players and friends to play together regardless of SR League OF legends lets me group with Gold / Silver players as a Bronze player why not Overwatch hard to take this game competitive as a serious game in the esports.