Why is abusive chat a report option?

I’ve been playing overwatch since December of 2016 and I still wonder why abusive chat is a report option even though there are things like block, mute, squelch chat, the ability to leave voice chat whenever you want, mute match chat and mute team chat. Being toxic shouldn’t be banable since there are other ways around the problem than suspending or banning an account. Most of the time someone is being “toxic” is when they’re joking or getting “revenge” on someone. Let me give you an example of what I mean by getting “revenge”. You’re playing a normal game of competitive and you’re not doing so hot or you die a couple of times, yah it’s frustrating but you know your skill will show in a couple of matches… until a teammate of yours calls you out and starts talking trash, calling you bad, saying you’re throwing, etc. You brush this of and continue playing, you inevitably lose the game and your teammate is still talking trash after the game is over. Well the games over now right move on and go next. Fortunately the toxic teammate you had in the previous game is now on the enemy team and you have a chance to redeem yourself/prove them wrong/give them what they deserve. And after a little bit of toxic player farming/obliterating, the only thing left to do is to rub it into their toxic face. So you do so, sarcastically calling them a really good player every time you kill them and asking them if they liked eating your bullets. You laugh on move on, but wait! You just got reported by some players for bringing justice to your little situation and are now suspended until you can log back in and find another toxic person to beat, get reported and end up banned. The end. If you guys haven’t realized already, this bringer of justice is me and I have first hand been suspended twice for “abusive chat” from toxic players who got what they deserve and bystanders who didn’t understand the problem. I find it amazing that people nowadays are so sensitive like little babies when they play online games. Karma will get you if you talk trash and it did so why report me for something you did to yourself? The world may never know and players will continue to be falsely banned and suspended for offenses they didn’t commit, at least not in the context blizzard thinks it’s in. I never talk trash to anyone unless they start the talk against me, I’m mostly there in comp games to attempt to bring people together or witness some beef between other players but I get suspended for giving some jerks online what they deserve. Once I legit got a death threat from a MAN not a teen, kid, adolescent but a MAN who said he was gonna lock me up in his basement and kill me of course I tell him off and guess what, I get suspended. Funny how people can threaten to kill me, I defend myself and I also get suspended. I don’t know if hat guy was ever banned but if I get suspended for defending myself this guy needs a super mega uber ban right away. I’ve been suspended twice for defending myself from toxic teammates who end up eating their words… and my bullets. But I hope you guys are able to realize how broken blizzards report system is.

4 Likes

Your playing a sport right?

If you trashed talked people the same way they do in overwatch in almost any other sport in the world you would be kicked out.

Don’t be a dick and you will be fine.

If you can’t stop your self from being toxic, it is you who should mute yourself not your team.

76 Likes

Just these lines.

I know enough, you might think yourself a nice guy, a non toxic player, but those actions in and of themselves are petty.

You haven’t transcended yet, my friend.

P.S., I use the abusive chat option as intended and have used it correctly providing detailed information regarding the incidents using said option.

You don’t have the right to take out your anger on me, verbally or otherwise, online game or real life, you vs your boss, it is not socially accepted behavior.

Blizzard knows this, they won’t be persuaded by your veiled attempt to go free with flaming someone.

13 Likes

You’re right, defending myself from grown men threatening to kill me and making toxic players eat their words is toxic oof

1 Like

My god this is a wall of text but as far as i can see youre not some hero whos bringing people to justice or defending yourself, youre just being petty and doing the same thing they did.

You got banned because you deserve it, you wont find sympathy here. If you just want to hear people echo that your right go yell into a chasm

38 Likes

Your post is abusive chat…

5 Likes

Tell me, when has fighting fire with fire ever worked?

Also, my eyes hurt trying to read the OP.

8 Likes

Report them, and mute them.

They will be banned soon enough. Let the system work rather than complaining about it.

3 Likes

You being toxic to someone in response doesn’t make you not toxic…

17 Likes

I don’t call myself the nicest person but I do what I have to do and I move on, it’s not like I threaten or harass them constantly after, it’s a 1 game thing and definitely not something I should be getting suspended for. I don’t use offensive words I just rub in the fact that they’re losing to the person they called trash that’s all

I’m convinced.

11 Likes

It’s all I need to do my guy

No. What you need to do is mute and report them, like many obviously have you.

As you can see, reporting works.

11 Likes

The report button and block/mute button is there to deal with abusive chat instead of dishing out more of your own. In no way are you justified regardless of what someone else has said.

6 Likes

only if you are rude in match chat

easiest suspension ever

keep it in voice chat

Well now, if we enclosed the fire and deprived it of all air we could have the fire fight itself by consuming the air it needs to live, which can’t be replenished?

sorry, I could not resist.

1 Like

you get suspended for that too

3 Likes

every time one of my accounts has been suspended it has been for something said in match chat

That’s irrelevant

1 Like

This made me laugh…