Why I Think Overwatch Competitive Is Broken

My name is Kyle. I am a Moira main here on the Overwatch community, and i can gladly say I’m a great one. I have spent the past week or so on competitive immensely trying to get higher on the ranks since i know myself i shouldnt have been so low. After about two days of binging 9-12 hours a day, (yes I know That’s unhealthy bit trust me i take breaks and im 15. What else am i supposed to do lol) I managed to bring myself from being around 2300 Sr from when i was placed, to 2600. The next weekend i managed to gain around 250 in a day, bringing me to 2846 as my rating. I had no problems what so ever getting to this point except for the casual “i nearly won but i lost in the end” So, balenced. Here i am now at an Sr rating of 2543 three days later. “What happened?” My friends say. In one day they noticed I decreased a whole 200 Sr after a frustrating questionable set of matches full of anger and possibly yelling xD. What happened, was this thing called an unbalanced match. Repeatedly i was placed in matches where the enemy team basically crushed us. Matches where i ended up with a bunch of people who dont know how the heck to play overwatch, and an enemy team full of people who dont belong in the area they are. Then yesterday, and today, I spent the first part of my weekend playing overwatch competitive. Friday i continued to sink, losing another 150 Sr after barely hanging on in platinum, and then today managing to get myself stabilized. I’m incredibly frustrated making this right now because im better at this game then where I am. How does someone gain over 450 Sr and then just lose it all. The answer is, you don’t. I have never heard of someone who lost this much in 2 days. 2 DAYS! I know this seems just like some petty crap, but I’m really concerned and i just wanted to get into diamond with my friends… But I keep getting dragged down. And we all know about that one player who managed to carry the whole team to a win, and that’s even worse. Because no one can seem to kill a random genji or widow except me. Console is so screwed with its competitive matching skills and im starting to get upset about it. The two things I have to say is that the 1000 Sr gap to play with or against people within, is too large. It corrupts matches and leaves us losing, and that we shouldnt be placed with the same people. Enemy or not its unfair and does not magically make teams balanced. Nor does having one OP guy and a really bad player on the same team. Not. Fair. Please help… If anyone needs a Moors main on their ps4 team of 6 please keeo me in mind, or message me on my account. Piggy-Millions

2 Likes

You are tilted. When you feel your attitude coming apart take a break. Switch to a fun account, a casual mode, a different game, or something outside.

4 Likes

Nice name. If you play so much you can drop or gain a lot.

Did you flex or one trick moira?

1 Like

I agree with him, mostly. The sr range is too large.

4 Likes

Most of the time I was moira, but i sometimes switched to fill if needed

Honestly.

I think I was in 2650-2700 but I was placed in a 2490 game, and I’ve never seen that happen before.

Ya never do that. The true skill is instant instant locking in this game.

You were tilted dude. It happens to just about everyone at some point, continuing to play when you are tilted will result in more matches lost. I had one day when I went from 2100 down to 1532. If you would’ve taken breaks, you probably wouldn’t have had such a hard fall.

Now my comment feels redundant lol. But when someone loses more than 200 SR in a short period, they are probably tilted

I am going to say this… I just got out of a low silver game that was more intense than ANY gold game I played last season.

Either

A:) The really really bad people have all quit

or

B:) low silver is just a smurf fest.

There is no way on God’s green earth that low silver games should be this difficult. Something is VERY wrong. I know I am not a God… I know I shouldnt be in plat. But there is no DAMN way that I should be struggling in a rating range that I used to solo carry drunk

2 Likes

When you have players with similar skill, it’s going to be intense. I’ve had games all over the board of different intensity. I’ve had masters games feel like a cake walk and plat games feel almost impossible.

But again why am I so much lower than last season struggling harder here than in higher ranges last season.

I understand ladders evolve but they don’t evolve a full skill tier in a matter of weeks.

I shouldnt be seeing god mcrees at 1500 sr that miss no shots practically. The dpsers I have been running into here are FAR better than any ones I saw in low gold just like 3 weeks ago.

Something is seriously going on in silver

How about this, rather than me assume, you post a vod review up on the forums?

Competitive is about as random as closing your eyes and picking 12 people in the street and start a match.

Yes. Silver is full of smurf (the very bad ones)
The whole game is full of smurfs. But it’s less apparent above plat.

Don’t bother with the Sr number given to you because it’s not a representation of what you are in the game. It’s 1000 Sr give or take off your true rank which makes it irrelevant.

I’ve seen potato players in 3000SR and above as well as awesome players below gold.

It’s all over the place.

Sadly, if you want your true rank you need to get an alt account. (as long as you have been playing for a long time.)
If it’s a relatively new account (200 levels and below) , then you just need to play more.

gg

Thing is, there SHOULDN’T be any tilting. There shouldn’t be that sort of emotion towards ranked, something that other players who think Blizzard is infallible justify as LOL GIT GUD or TAKE A BREAK or MY SR IS HIGHER THAN YOUR SR, THEREFORE MY STATEMENTS INVALIDATE YOURS.

Nothing short of a hard reset is going to save the Competitive mode.

2 Likes

I have no idea why you think a SR reset would stop tilting.

Then this argument about true rank will be completely blown out of the water. Everyone gets their chance to prove they either belong in the high ranks or deserve to be dragged down.

An mmr/sr reset will never happen. Jeff Kaplan has explicitly stated this. Not only that but if you buy a second copy of the game it’s the same as if you wiped your mmr clean. It’s a waste of money to buy a second account for this reason alone however because it’s the same person playing in the same system so the results or similar. A complete mmr reset would ignite a fire in the forums of people saying how unfair it is that they are getting stomped for hours while the system tries to sort out who belongs where while others who were the top half of the ladder have a field day smurfing for free. The solution to the “I’m not where I belong problem” is all over the internet and in the faces of those who make this statement every day. Stop looking left and right and look at what you’re doing to be there. However this is a tough pill to swallow for those who are too proud to say they belong in their rank so naturally they don’t accept it and continue to blame the system. If you notice the players who are climbing with a sub 50% winrate aren’t on the forums talking about this but the players falling with an above 50% winrate are all over it talking about how the system is flawed. Why is this? Well it’s because the players who are playing to improve aren’t looking to the community to fix a flawed system and gain free sr, they don’t care about what the community has to say about them they know that if they improve they will climb sr so that’s what they spend their time on. Strangely coincidental?

1 Like

Then the game is as good as dead with that mindset, because a game’s community is a huge factor in the health of a game, and actively ignoring it continues the downward spiral. The only people that would complain are those who never deserved to be up in the high ranks in the first place because they were hard boosted. It’s a tough pill to understand that you don’t deserve to be in the rank that you are in, especially if you were boosted better than you.

The game is in dire straits, the truth is spelled out right in front of you. Not my fault that you can’t understand that Blizzard is 100% at fault for saying that smurfing is encouraged and taking a lax approach towards anything but the OWL that they are desperately trying to keep above water.

2 Likes

I’m not saying that the system isn’t flawed but it’s far from dead. Look at the forum threads, you see the same names over and over and you think this is a representation of the entire community?

1 Like