Why I Stopped Loving Multiplayer Games

I’m 24 and I think they’re way different. They’ve been changing at an alarming pace in the wrong direction.

2 Likes

Agree so much. This game basically becomes a job if you buy a battle pass (which I got because I thought you would earn premium currency instead of credits).

Grassroots E-sports is amazing and I will cherish OW E-sports pre-OWL.

OWL is what created a horrible balance philosophy. Why would you ever balance around like the top 0.00001% of players?

Balancing around GM is perfect because every hero should be statistically viable in GM, and keep in mind that ladder competitive on all ranks has horrible coordination compared to OWL… so balancing around GM is fine since all ranks share that poor level of coordination that doesn’t break team utility.

I have so many games to recommend to you that don’t require teamwork

Progression is why people keep playing. And what better way than to show progress than through your cosmetics and in-game items you can show to the world? People enjoy feeling rewarded for their accomplishments. People LIKE having a unique identity. Nobody normal likes being just an average joe.

4 Likes

To be fair, 5v5 is lowering that a lot.

But yeah, my usual reply to these “I’m burnt out by the gameplay/toxicity.”

2 Likes

I literally just installed that game.

And I’ve been obsessed with Warframe for the past few weeks.

But are they multiplayer shooters?

1 Like

Just be aware, if the difficulty seems low. You can adjust the difficulty when you pick/join a map.

Hazard 2 is the default, with Hazard 1 being nearly AFK. Where as Hazard 5 with Robots modifier can get pretty crazy.

team-based shooters? I’m sure there are tons that don’t require teamwork

I absolutely love Co-op games. I now realize that Co-op is basically my favorite genre.

Deep Rock Galactic looks good… is it easy to form an online party with randoms?

1 Like

I’ve played so many multiplayer shooters in the past. Anything released around Overwatch’s time and after have always had an over-reliance on team-play due to trying to emulate their sport as much as possible…Esports in general became the downfall of multiplayer games in general.

Esports should remain a community-driven thing. Whenever the developers get involved, it suddenly becomes an incentive to turn EVERY match into an esports-level game.

They just need to play their damn game.

4 Likes

“Teamwork shouldn’t be a thing in small team-based games”

3 Likes

COD and other shooters have Free-For-All modes

There’s a difference between having teamwork and NEEDING teamwork. Fun should always come first in video games, and being nothing but a cog in a machine isn’t fun for anybody who doesn’t have a codependency issue of some kind. There should ALWAYS be a good amount of carry potential in team-based games. If I’m better than the enemy team, but my teammates are garbage, I should be able to carry them to victory if I play my butt off.

2 Likes

Yup, but with solos they give you a helper bot.

I started the game with about a hundred hours of solos because I thought I’d need to have every Class leveled before multiplayer. But I wish I did multiplayer sooner.

For reference, I have 1,800 hours in that game, and only encountered 5 toxic players, and the procedural cave generation still feels fresh.

4 Likes

Good luck for Overwatch 2 Pve to fight this masterpiece.

ROCK AND STONE !!!

4 Likes

Installing it now.

I am pretty sure that Hero missions will be pay2win because IIRC, they said you can get gear/equipment. Campaign should be a fun experience hopefully.

I have no idea what this means

I find lots of carry potential in OW2. Sometimes you can’t carry. You shouldn’t be able to always carry them to victory.

I don’t really see why it’s a bad thing to want to be really good at something and try hard at it. Also being good and trying at something doesn’t make you any more or less toxic than anyone else.

1 Like

Only four rules:

1. You must press the “Rock and Stone” button, or people don’t trust you.
  2. Type “R?” or “Ready?” in chat before pressing buttons to begin objectives. With replies of “R” to confirm.
  3. If somebody pings a chunk of Gold or Mushroom, you need to also ping spam it, and spam the “Rock and Stone” button.
  4. In a 4 player group. Never take two chunks of ammo from a resupply, without asking/receiving permission to do it.

Generally tapping the Ctrl button a lot helps. Shows teammates/objectives through walls for a few sec. Shows teammate ammo on bottom left. And “Nitra” mineral amount on top right.

Ctrl+E puts a semi-permanent waypoint you can see with Ctrl or the Map with Tab.

Holding tab, move mouse, then press spacebar rotates your dwarf to the direction your map is pointed.

Holding E can grab a zipline or do a repair/revive, without having to time it perfectly.

2 Likes

Thanks for the etiquette primer. I’m brand spanken new, so I will be a liability for awhile.

1 Like