Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

Hmm, Seagull started a stir a month or two ago about “the State of Overwatch”, and one of his complaints is how powerful ultimates are. His preference for ladder/CP and QP is to de-emphasize the importance of ults – tweak it so that it becomes viable to switch heroes. Jayne challenged him on that point, stating that ult economy is an integral part of pro games, and Seagull had to concede that it wasn’t a problem in pro games, since they typically have someone who tracks ults.

If ever ults are weakened across all heroes in OW, Mercy would be in a prime place to have no changes whatsoever, since most of what she’s picked for in pro-play is e-resurrect, dmg boost, mobile heals, and her occasional ad hoc DPS role when going Valk. Not a single part of her kit counters team-wipe ults the way Lucio or Zen has it with their own respective ults. I don’t think Ana, Brigitte and the other supports (other than Zen and Lucio) should be changed either if Seagull has his way.

Personally, I don’t think ults are going to be changed anytime soon because ult economy is one of the aspects of the game that makes it complex. Who knows, though, the game has been catering to DPS casuals a lot, why not simplify it to make it appeal to all casuals across the board? :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

In that case having ultimates is more “casual” friendly than none imo.

All DPS ults feel easier to use because if it nets at least 2 kills, it’s virtually a guaranteed team fight win – it’s a single pick which feels wonky for me at low tiers because most teams don’t react quickly enough to a first pick in low gold and below.

In my experience, teams react faster to a first pick in the higher tiers, up to professional levels where first pick is a virtual team fight win, esp. in GOATS vs. GOATS fights – in comparison, it wins in 2:3 fights for 2-2-2 comps in pro levels and loses 1:3 for the team with man disadvantage, since first pick signals the team with a man disadvantage to go all in to equalize quickly, taking more high risk-high reward plays than usual (I think this is the driving factor why Blizz wants to nerf GOATS, 2-2-2 has more dramatic exciting reversals).

All I’m saying is that it is easier to figure out how to get at least 2 kills to guarantee a team fight win with DPS ults, it’s harder in general for tanks and supports to react to prevent this from happening.

Edit: corrected grammar for clarity.

4 Likes

Mercy is the source of Rez, shoot her.
Mercy’s team didn’t come back instantly and have the potential to die without any ults because many characters will be out of position unless she was using it as a tempo rez in which case she was likely performing a very safe rez which would result in success unless you immediately push in from getting the kill and can resecure the kills. Which makes it no different to now.
Adding a cast time and LOS checks would improve the situation for people.

You are given time to prepare yourself for the enemy teams return. One Mercy can be easily killed if it was a Mass Rez. In the time her team is respawing you could isolate key targets and take them out without expending another ultimate and the wipe out the other targets later.
You guys act like it is tough to deal with a Mass Rez but the ability to aim the enemy up in advance and they couldn’t move before becoming vulnerable again unlike todays rez says a lot about players incapabilities.

5 Likes

Well, it’s certainly tougher to deal with, than using tactical visor or deadeye on Valkyrie. Mainly, because it requires some thinking, instead of “look at Mercy, press Q, press M1, you won”.

2 Likes

True, but it’s not hard for a Mercy to avoid that either. Like, just hang lower to the floor for the moment or behind a wall XD

I were mostly talking about how effective battle Mercy is, if that’s what you expected to do with Valkyrie, if it’s easy to shoot one out of the sky, with some extra enemies for free.

Just killed a Widowmaker twice as Valk Mercy in an earlier QP game on my “bronziest bronze” account, so… :smiley:

With ults, not with skill. As part of Pharmercy, WIdowmaker bullets and D.va rockets flying past are common event. Winston is bigger problem to me.

And it’s gold.

I know the feeling on the other side. At my main account (not this one), I’m a Rein/Winston main. Especially if it’s Winston vs. Reinhardt, the pressure is to get a support first pick – kill Ana/Zen/Mercy. After that, the other team cleans up quite nicely.

I haven’t played comp since season 10, but I think that sort of strategy is still sound.

You better be not one of those Winstons, that jumped off map trying to get me :wink:

2 Likes

Hardly. Even if I had ult, jumping off the map would kill me. Besides, I have a soft spot for Mercy. :smiley:

1 Like

1811 likes…9.6. replies. And the developers ignore and do not even try to communicate in this topic, although the problem is extremely relevant for the community. That’s all you need to know about blizzard. They say they read every post in fact …

2 Likes

2/3 of them are from the same 20 people.

The dream is dead for now, wait 3 months and try again

1 Like

This dream will die only with Overwatch itself.

1 Like

Overwatch was dead long ago.

It’s on life support/sustained by dark magic.

1. Original PRT on Mercy Rework.
  2. Total of 9 Mega-Threads from both Old Forum (tons of Up-votes for revert) and this New Forum (where you can not Down-vote)
  3. Various Mercy threads both Forums, many on this Forum closed and transferred into Mega-Threads or flat out deleted.
  4. Over 100,000 posts about Mercy’s failed rework an how to fix it. (even with over half of them being people saying “Mercy is Fine” [before another Nerf to Mercy] and “Mass Rez isn’t supposed to be in a FPS” an such) OR people saying stuff like this:

Sorry, but even with 10 Alt accounts for each person, how can there be 1811 Likes from only 20 people? An how about the original Mega-Threads on old forum that had over 3 times that amount of Likes?

An this wonderful, well thought-out Original Post made by numerous Mercy players who want to see Mercy viable again…
But ‘THEY’ will listen to the Pros on ‘Balancing’ the game, an we see how well that is working…
People are leaving the game in droves, not just about Mercy Rework/Nerf Storm (15 total Nerfs) but other Reworks (Symmetra, Torbjorn, etc.) and “Balancing” (Tracer Pulse bomb Nerf, D.Va Nerfs, Brigitte Nerfs, etc.).

12 Likes

Look at the frequent posters for the thread and add up the messages. 2/3 are from the same people.

1 Like

Yourself included. Seems that the people that WANT Mercy viable again, who do post, are battling the same few people what want Mercy (and probably all Healers) in the state she is in or worst for other healers. Plenty of Nerf Moria, Nerf Lucio, Nerf Zenyatta, Nerf Mercy (thus 9 Nerfs have been delivered when even non-Mercy players said “Mercy’s Fine”), Nerf Ana (an she just became viable again after that year of being Nerfed to the ground), an everyone remembers the #DeleteBrigitte movement…

It would be nice if you that don’t like Mass Rez, or Rez in any form, would come into these forums with some ideas on how to HELP instead of SPAM the threads with Anti-Healer nonsense. It would be a nice change instead of constantly getting negativity from you, an people like you, who want a CS-GO experience in Overwatch.

7 Likes