Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

Sigh

History is repeating itself.

Mercy gets changes that fundamentally break her, Mercy mains complain about lowered fun factor and try to explain why the changes are hero-breaking, and are resolutely ignored by both the devs and the rest of the playerbase.

Then a bunch of experienced Mercy players quit over the changes/the Dev’s refusal to revert them, and the rest of the playerbase becomes confused and angry over their match quality going down. “Why is it so much harder to find a decent healer now?”, they ask with a Surprised Pikachu Face.

5 Likes

who, exactly?

Long time no see Silwatsi, been years.

To be fair we werent ignored… support heroes like Moira, Brigitte, Baptise, Kirito and even Echo have features of our suggested element.

With Overwatch 2, i think Mercy is a problem because with two support, her mobility and her general healing powers, she able to pocket and carry a team where he presence alone can carry match if left unchecked. It can take a while to make progress until she dies. Most of the other supports cant keep up the same level of consistent pocket heals as Mercy

Except we want Mercy to have those features, not other hero.

With GA nerfs, she is much easier to eliminate. She can’t even keep up with heroes like Genji, when it comes to mobility, so she is going down, if there is Genji on her tail.

Moira

• Damage Beam because we suggested her dmg boost deals damage
  • Beam Merging ult where her two beam is mercy to empower and heal one target and super boosting it
  • ricochet bullet, her pistol is able to rebound off walls so she can damage deal and maybe kill targets like Scatter Arrow so Mercy can kill without Aim

More or less Moira entire kit is based off the aggressive Mercy idea

Brigitte

• throwable heals as a skill so whilst we are healing we can chuck heals at people who need it
  • Changing her alt to a AoE burst heal and adding additional health, this was changed to heal over time and applies armor or additional health

Baptise

• Vertical jumping power so we had independant escape and activate Valkyrie to glide, this became his jump power
  • immortality field, rather than a aoe res we apply a temporary invincibility

Echo

• pretty much the mini Valkyrie idea where valkyrie…

then i think we had ideas for shield generation with her beam but i think Echo went from support to DPS cause not enough of the idea would work for her

Kiriko

• the clense idea, the ability to aoe heal/burst heal and clense allies of debuff effects
  • Her through the wall Teleportation sounds like our suggested idea for Mercy to independently escape via GA but since we could go through walls the idea was to have a vertical jump, glide or mini valk and then GA to target with increase range… her escape feels very Mercy like

Also to be fair… guardian angel relies on team mates we are screwed when our team mates abandon us and we lose a target to escape to, as for Kiriko, this is even worse lol

1 Like

Summary on Mercy’s Changes after Feb 7 - General Discussion - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

hey there

Hi. Hand waves and stuff.

Hi there :wave:

So?

The possibility of Mercy being able to carry “if left unchecked” isn’t a problem. ANY hero can carry if left unchecked, because “unchecked” means that no one’s actually trying to stop them.

If Mercy is physically incapable of carrying a match even when the enemy completely ignores her, then she’s in a very bad spot indeed.

6 Likes

It turns out that OW2, which has been playing for so long, still doesn’t know that it can crash into the angel break and resurrect? I advise you to delete the game!

I’m glad this thread stuck around because it’s always nice to reflect during a time where things were worth having such huge threads about the game because they had desires and hopes.

5 Likes

Popular thread of all time since OW 1 and still no response from Blizzard yeesh.

3 Likes

Have the same feeling, I remember when I religiously went on the forums and looked through this and the other threads. I haven’t logged back on here since 2020 but the recent news definitely made me get back on. Have never stopped reminiscing what mercy could’ve been! Good (but sad) times! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

the fact that there still, to this day , isn’t a dev reply on the most popular, most upvoted, and quite possibly longest thread on the site is crazy

5 Likes

nope, that’d be here: The official Mei fanclub (v. 2.0) - #17065 by Akaras-1659

Actually, that would be here:

20.9k replies.

Edit: Wait, scratch that too. This thread also exists:

21.2k replies

3 Likes

This place is like museum of Mercy at this point.

1 Like

titanium!!! hello!! ik you might not recognize me bc i’m on an alt (can’t log into my main for some reason) but it’s so nice to see you around the forums still! love reading your posts fr <3

i was wondering what your opinion on the entire blizzard fiasco was? i’m sure you’ve probably shared it already but if not, i’d be interested in hearing your thoughts!

2 Likes

Hello, who dis?

Which one? The one where they cut most of what they promised from the PvE?

4 Likes

yes exactly!!

and my main changes names pretty frequently. SZA, Doctor, OJ are a few i’ve had just off the top of my head.

i’m curious because i think that there’s a lot to be said about it. i’ve always been the type to remain optimistic in blizzard’s decision making, but to learn that the reason OW’s quality decreased so sharply over the years was purposeful bc they couldn’t let go of the Project Titan idea that failed already was such a devastating blow to my morale.

the fact that they new it was going to be canceled before OW2 even released also puts a sour taste in my mouth, but i haven’t found a source for that.

2 Likes

I recognize the last one.

As for my overall opinion on the cancellation… Meh. Not surprised. It’s the continuation of a pattern on part of the OW Team. Overpromise, underdeliver. I wouldn’t have bet money on it happening, but I wouldn’t have bet against it either.

Does it suck? Sure. Just not for me. I haven’t played OW since October of 2021 (I ended my hiatus to prove a point, made that point, and then got bored because the reasons for me making that point were still relevant), and a lot of the changes to the PvP of OW2 looked like a flat downgrade to me. I wasn’t really interested in the PvE to begin with (despite me really enjoying Uprising in 2017) because the core of what I enjoyed in the game just wasn’t there anymore, so to me the announcement makes no difference.

Supposedly it came from the Gamespot interview. If true… Again, not surprised. I personally have reason to believe it because I have a friend with Connections™ who subtly hinted at support for the PvE being cut a while back.

Is it scummy? Yes. But that’s par for the course with these people.

2 Likes