Why Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Competitive Play

I think it’s fair to have a handicap system in Quick Play, because people want to have casual fun there. But in Competitive, the MMR/handicap/winrate system only makes it so that you swing up and down in SR according to your stats.

I think when it comes to Competitive, certain hard rules must be applied without second thought, or it becomes a toxic wasteland.

1 - Pre-pick heroes before queuing. Pick as many heroes as you like, game will put you with your selected hero into a match, pre-locked. If you pick just one hero, you’ll have longer queue time but will definitely get the hero you want in a pre-determined comp. If you pick multiple heroes, you might get any of the heroes you picked but you get less queue time.

2 - I think it’s ok to let the MMR do the initial placements, but after that, the handicaping system should stop trying to get “50% win chance” matches, instead, it should just put similar skill tier players with and against each other in a relaxed way. As players play more and more matches, their true rank will be decided by natural selection.

3 - Don’t be afraid to ban people from competitive. This mode must have more strict thresholds for banning unacceptable behavior.

6 Likes

God here we go. Another thread Cuth? Really? You’re proven you have no idea what you are talking about, using no actual data to backup your issues, and then have complete disregard for the repercussions if they removed an MMR based system.

How many times… LITERALLY EVERY COMPETITIVE GAME IN THE WORLD USES AN MMR BASED TIER SYSTEM.

Do you think your English degree trumps Actuarials or something? Literally all of these posts attacking an MMR system as a whole (it’s fine to have issues with certain parts) show complete lack of knowledge and understanding as to why they use this system.

You realise that is exactly what MMR does right? Sure it tries to balance the teams out, but all it does from there is it “puts similar skill tier players with and against each other” that is EXACTLY what it does. Just because your SR doesn’t necessarily match, doesn’t mean your skill doesn’t. I don’t understand the issue with “50% win chance” all it does is balance the teams out…

I also still think people need to learn what a Handicap is…

6 Likes

Cuthbert, just re-read the first post since you posted here. The analogies are on point. Keep up the good work.

6 Likes

GM’s can only play within 250 SR of their rating… I call BS on your claims.

The motivation is so you get better with those characters and stop dropping in rank when you’re in a situation where you can’t play Pharah. One tricking works when the map, team and enemy comp, and flow of team fights benefits you. What happens when you can’t play Pharah?

One thing to help is play other projectile heroes as the mechanical aiming can transfer over in some places.

If you’re falling because you’re pushed onto even other DPS characters you’re not good at, who is to blame?

Edit: I’ll add on that my last sentence isn’t a dig at you. Do you believe it’s Blizzard duty to make sure each team you are matched with needs a Pharah player? Some compromises must be had.

2 Likes

I really don’t like the new forum. I’m just now discovering I can’t link anything.

2 Likes

Group up within 250 you mean?

Smurfs don’t have that limitation. Boosting is very real but not solvable without potential false positive accusations and it’s better to let it happen than ban people unfairly.

Actuaries are pretty much for the financial market and insurance companies, and while I get some of the statistical skills involved match up there is no way someone in blizzard thought “you know, we need a financial planner to make our mmr system. I wonder how many can write code too…”

Next I’m sure you’ll start talking about climbing.

2 Likes

Because Smurfs are such a big issue? Yeah nah.

Some people say Smurfs are a huge issue. But more importantly, Smurfs would not exist at all without Match Making Rating (MMR). It is the handicapping system that Smurfs are trying to circumvent by buying new user accounts.

4 Likes

Wat? Wat did i just read?

4 Likes

This sounds more a isseu with performance based sr than the actual MMR system.

The MMR system on its own is fine. The adjustmnet they do based on performance is where I have problems with and if that is your isseu I can agree with you.
If not I can’t agree

1 Like

“Wat? Wat did i just read?”

There are three stages of a discussion with Cuthbert:

1. Oh. He’s just uninformed. I’ll explain things for him, he’ll realize his mistake.
  2. Hmm. Not working. He seems to have some ground-in problematic premises that need to be worked out.
  3. What? How can he possibly think that? Is this his first day on the forums / playing the game? No? Oh Well. I guess this is hopeless.
13 Likes

Thank you! I like to analogize.

2 Likes

One question do you have 2 accounts?

I do and I can say you this. Smurfs are not a problem.
Only for 1 or 2 games do they have an unfair advantage. After that they get placed closser to their real rank. The MMR system does a very good job placing people were they should be placed.

1 Like

You good sir made me laugh :joy:

1 Like

They threw games from GM. Their rating in those games was 1500-1600. But their season 2 or 3 rating was GM. Every season after was diamond peak (prob bc of decay…and they only used that account to boost on.). So for the boosting seasons…they had seasom highs if low diamond and season ENDS if 1500…Does that sound right to you?

The only other explanation is that THEY were a boosted account that fell…except I was playing with them a their aim was godly and gamesense was quite amazing. So they were clearly boosting that other account that never left bronze for 5 seasons.

1 Like

Ok I see what you mean.
But it is irrelevant to the discussion of this thread.
Boosting has nothing to do with how good or bad the MMR system works.
It is also against the rules so reporting these people is the best thing you can do.

1 Like

That’s a well-presented point and advice, thank you for not being a cynical ar$e :slight_smile:

So my only motivation to flex is my own, I get it. Short term it means dropping in SR, long term it means more skill, right?

2 Likes

It gives you more opportunities to win using team composition. So you hope that in flexing a role, the team composition makes up for the fact you may not be able to play that role as well as your main… At the end of the day a win is the most important.

Well we’re back at the English Olympics, you can say anything with zero evidence or logic and it becomes true.

Still can’t believe people have the same mentality of Curthbert who hasn’t played in 3 months, was stuck in Silver with over 700 levels, and went from blaming his teammates to blaming MMR.

Let a guy that doesn’t know what MMR, SR, or PBSR is, be your champion. The guy that doesn’t know how to add 2+2, let that guy be your champion for rationality.

I wish Blizzard would respond to you brain dead kids.

5 Likes