Why does the shooting have to feel so awful?

After playing for a very long time for the last two seasons, I’ve stepped away and have been playing other shooters. I’ve realised shooting in other games feels so very satisfying. I’ve been particularly enjoying using rifles and bows in Destiny 2 PvP.

I returned to give Ashe and Hanzo a go in OW2 as I was feeling nostalgic, and wow… why on earth does the shooting feel so bad in Overwatch? The weapons feel limp and unresponsive, and shots I swear I hit just do not connect.

Similarly, heroes in OW2 can just turn on a dime, bobbing back and forth and becoming purely luck based on whether you actually hit them. Why isn’t there momentum? Turning and changing direction should involve slow down then speed back up. Its very unrealistic and not at all enjoyable for either player.

It’s all so extremely unsatisfying and I’ve left once again.

I’d say for all the complaints going against it, the shooting and movement is one of Overwatch’s biggest strengths.

5 Likes

Huh?

Overwatch is one of the most responsive games out there with some of the most satisfying gunplay. There are plenty of complaints you can make, but this is a tough one. Maybe it’s a thing with the bigger health pools? That I could understand maybe.

Because having no inertia feels more responsive, ironically enough.

4 Likes

Each to their own, certainly.

I find shooting at a rapidly bobbing / staffing soldier very frustrating. I guess I don’t mind getting punished for poor directional choices in other games as a trade off.

Beyond a certain distance hitting things with Hanzo feels awful. Arrows are so slow and there is such a luck element.

because thats overwatch not one of those generic shooters with this awful movement acceleration that sucks the fun out of the game.

i wanna play a super hero not a sumo wrestler clocking in at least 800 kg.

1 Like

I am going to yes but here.
Yes, but it wouldn’t hurt to have some heroes not move 90% of their body when changing directions. Have the animation be a bit less extreme for some of them would not really be a bad thing overall. Might also allow you to tune down some of the projectile sizes.

I could play any other game but only overwatch satisfies my desire to not walk on ice. or having to worry about recoil. All useless realism stuff other games already do.

People tell about better things in other games, while others play overwatch for what makes it unique and impossible to find in a different game.

I do agree to a extend, that it could help but I would even gonas far and say it should be again pre s9 changes.

some of the models do shift quite a lot when switching between left and right. as long as the feeling isn’t altered for movement i see no huge issue.

1 Like

It’s always going to come down to opinion, but something that doesn’t help OW compared to other shooters is the thin frontal silhouettes quite a few heroes (especially females) present to the shooter. It makes AD strafing more powerful than in other shooters even before factoring the lack of momentum.

1 Like

also weapons in OW2 eat 25% of screen. it causes additional discomfort in aiming

I just personally feel that in this game the best way to win a duel is to kill them before they notice you are shooting at them. If they go into A - D spam, I feel it is more luck than skill.

I suspect this is why I played Ana for so long, as she feels actually consistent to land shots with practice, and you are not forced to try and get those sorts of headshots.

Before the S9 changes, I would have said aim wasn’t mandatory to climb the elo ladder. Excellent gamesense, cooldown management, and ult usage could carry you out of metal ranks.

I have seen plenty of Masters players back in the day (before S9 basically) whose aim wasnt great, but their gamesense was phenomenal and they were very difficult to eliminate. That was enough for them to be at that elo.

Its different now. The hitbox/projectile changes implemented in S9 and beyond have changed the landscape. Landing shots is easier than ever before.

Imo, you do need positive value aim if you want to climb out of metal ranks now. Everyone can hit their shots easier.

Its like the rising tide, you drown or rise with it. Thats the way it goes.

1 Like

OW is MEANT to feel fast. Momentum isn’t in the game because the vast majority of the playerbase does not want it.

Do British lesbians teleport irl? Oh, what about gorillas being genius scientists?

Hell, I’ll EXTEND this to another fps. Do people only take one bullet to die if they’re shot in the head? Because Siege isn’t one shot to the body; people have health pools.

Video games are not realistic. This isn’t an argument and it NEVER will be

Landing shots has become significantly easier so if you’re having trouble it’s probably destiny 2 hitboxes being even more generous

including asian games, where barely adult female handle weapons that even if they where made out if plastic they couldn’t wield them.

Or monster hunter with weapons bigger and heavier than the person using it, you couldn’t even physically take it out, over looking the fact that the weapon flips 180 degrees when putting it on your back.
nobody cares about realism, Pepople wanna fight huge monsters with sick huge hammer and swords.

realistic video games would be the biggest pile of poop. Got shot? you cannot shoot anymore for a few months. until your arm has recovered if it doesn’t need to be out right removed.

1 Like

Its personal, like all "feelings "

Exactly.

“Realism” mofos would look at this and call it realistic. It’s wild how many times I’ve heard “realistic” to describe this video

1 Like