Why does the community hate Mercy mains?

I really want to know.

She has been hated since the very beginning of the game. At first she was a troll pick, then she was OPAF, then all Mercy players were boosted, then all Mercy players were girls that for some reason needed to be verbally abused.

Then when Mercy finally gets a rework she is still popular and gets even more hate that has continued to this day when she gets nerf after nerf.

I really want to know.

Is it because she didn’t require alot of ‘skill’? She was the only support that could put out consistent healing considering we had 3 healers(people would use Lucio+Zen because discord and Lucio AoE, up until Ana)

I just finished a game on Kings Row and at the end (we won) our Moira is talking about how trash our Mercy was and throwing around sexual insults.

“No aim no brain Mercy main”

34 Likes

“Mercy mains brought this upon themselves”

So your telling me that they deserve to be hated on?

20 Likes

No. I am saying that, if they lament their suffering at the hand of haters, they should realize that they played a huge factor in this.

Or just look at Youtube. There are hundreds of videos that make fun of those Mercy one tricks who are screaming and flaming at each other because they were on the same team, and so one of them couldn’t get to pick Mercy.

10 Likes

Back when Ana was meta and too good NOT to pick. She was still played a lot at lower levels.

Near 100% pickrate Mercywatch, yep.

A lot were (and still are) as a result of her OP iterations and her previous “hide and rez” SR exploit…

First of all, harassment isn’t cool, no matter who it’s towards.
Second of all, a good chunk of Mercy mains are girls (though not all are. Barcode/Geguri are pretty good examples of female players who AREN’T Mercy mains).

This is mainly because she’s been the go to main healer for over a year and a half. A lot of people are sick of seeing her every single game. On top of that, her skill floor/ceiling is quite low but she has a lot of utility and is incredibly impactful.

You should have (and probably did) reported this person.

29 Likes

So what you are saying is that it is their fault and because of them that they get insulted?

I can’t understand this mentality at all.

They are infamously known for opening several self-entitled threads on all social medias in which they utterly denigrate their teammates and obliviously praise themselves.

I can point out many people who do this.

Many of them have this notion that without them their teammates couldn’t even walk out of the spawn room.

Who is this ‘they’ and where are you getting all of this from?

They have this notion that they cannot make any mistake, and that if they die, it is obviously the friendly Damage Dealer’s fault.

That can go for anyone who plays support, and I’ve definitely seen a ton of damage dealers who blame supports for not keeping them up or will say “where are the tanks” when they overextend.

You haven’t actually explained anything and come off bias.

4 Likes

Let this thread be in of itself, a reason why the community hates mercy mains

26 Likes

But wouldn’t Blizzard be more to blame because they didn’t fix this?

The other supports are just now getting buffs when they could’ve used them long ago. That would’ve lessened the impact of Mercy, even if only a little.

I still don’t see why this is a ‘justification’ for hating on people. It is a video game character but it is directed to those who enjoy her? Makes no sense to me.

I completely understand why people hate Mercy though.

6 Likes

Once again, you failed to understand what I wrote.

I am saying that it is mainly their fault, not only their fault. And yes, if perhaps there were fewer self-entitled Mercy one tricks who trash all over their teammates, this hero wouldn’t be so despised. You don’t see many DPS mains opening threads like “Thank your DPS teammate”, do you? No, but there are so many threads praising Mercy and utterly bashing Genji and Tracer mains that I have honestly lost count.

Who is this ‘they’ and where are you getting all of this from?

The Search bar is at the top right of the screen.

That can go for anyone who plays support,

No, Lucio, Zenyatta and Ana mains are not nearly as self-righteous as that.

You haven’t actually explained anything and come off bias.

The pot calling the kettle black. I suppose that you aren’t biased?

21 Likes

Well, we Mercy players never asked for a rework. It was people whining about their precious Q kills being undone that lead to it. :/ Do you think we ENJOY this soulless, boring, OP moth? We hate her more than you ever could. I’d pay money to have trash-tier Mercy back, rather than this stupid must-pick Blizzard created.

34 Likes

Sorry but i’ve seen a bunch of support players come off as ‘self-righteous’. That can go for alot of people in every category not just Support.

I’ve seen alot of people that are just oblivious and have tunnel vission. They can’t see what is going on and the team gets the blame

(Tank/Support = Why isn’t DPS killing anything.)
(Tank/DPS = Where are the heals)
(DPS/Support = Where are the tanks)

DPS players getting trashed on is a different problem in itself. I specifically was asking about the hate on Mercy mains.

6 Likes

The vast majority of the community don’t hate Mercy mains. Like most others, they just play the game and have fun. The people who “hate” Mercy mains are a vocal minority and aren’t representative of the community as a whole.

8 Likes

i don’t think community hates mercy mains, just things they say, such as lack of objectivity when it comes to their fave hero.

3 Likes

Maybe, but Mercy mains weren’t doing themselves any favors by defending her throughout all her OP iterations.

You asked why people hated on Mercy mains. I’m not saying one way or the other whether or not they’re justified.

It’s like when people use really cheap, easy, but effective playstyles in other FPS games. COD for example always has a certain group of people that take advantage of the easiest but most effective playstyles. Corner camping, using certain OP guns or perks, etc. Mercy (and other supports) are kind of OW version of that. And the people who use them are kind of looked down upon for it.

6 Likes

Its simple mercy is the only pure healer with vertical movement, thus she gets hate.

mercy is the community scapegoat, thus she gets hate.

mercy players discuss their disdain for current mercy, thus she gets hate.

:man_shrugging:

I just want this op boring mercy to done with.

8 Likes

I think the only Mercy mains who are “hated” are the vocal minority who have become more and more toxic on these forums the longer they don’t get the answer or action they want regarding Mercy and her current state (and more importantly, her LONG PAST state tyvm) It’s not just what they are doing, it’s how they are going about doing it.

I’m a Mercy main who doesn’t share their views but I also don’t get hate or put in that same basket.

Edit: And if you’re talking about in-game, yeah, it is mostly because people don’t view her as a “skill-based” hero but if you ask me, that’s a THEM problem and not a ME problem. I always get mad love as a Mercy player in game. Anything from the enemy team is pure salt because they lost.

8 Likes

umm… wtf?

we only QQ when
ppl wont tank (w/o tank healers are under extreme pressure ndget b*tched at when ppl die…)

when ppl absued her and made her in a bad limelight

devs for makign her a hated monster

devs refusing to fix her when obviously nerf, after nerf, after nerf over and over still have issues.

Community hate is NOT out fault. It is the community hating Mercy from what players have done and the devs have done.,

NOTHING was mercy lovers fault.

1 Like

As a matter of fact, Thank you for further proving my point that Mercy mains blame everyone but themselves.

16 Likes

so defending us from your (just you) lie is blamign everyone but us?

i bet your just FUN at parties.

3 Likes

There are a few Mercy mains who will be VERY vocal about things and the things they say are very unreasonable. But Majority of the Mercy Mains are willing to adapt to her changes and are willing to branch out to other heroes.

3 Likes

Alright so its a small subset but we are all being blamed for said small subset?

hows that fair?

5 Likes