Why does Blizzard force losses?

What do they gain that’s worth more than the sanity of their players? It’s obviously money fueling this, but how? Or is there something else that makes them force losses?

8 Likes

Or… crazy idea: they don’t.

Think about it. They gain NOTHING from it. Maybe, just maybe they don’t do it. Instead you stay where you belong and win 50/50 with SR gains relatively constant.

21 Likes

I mean it’s so obvious they force losses… That’s undeniable. There has to be a reason behind it…

2 Likes

But they don’t…

What makes you think they do? That you win/lose roughlg equally? Like +- 50%? That’s because you’re where you belong on the ladder. If you were better ie won more: you’d climb! If you lose more ie were worse; you’d decay! It’s as simple as this honestly. There’s no conspiracy forcing losse. Players have inflated ideas of their skill level and feel time in = climb. It does not. You have to work to climb.

10 Likes

I get close to gold or higher and then I fall all the way back down to bronze/silver. How is it my fault I get put on a team with 5 DPS that can’t kill anything?

4 Likes

Yes - blame the teammates :smiley: There is always a constant in your games and it’s you. Blizzard’s matchmaking isn’t the best, but it most definitely isn’t forced. I have two accounts this season steadily climbing at the same rank playing the same heroes…I started in silver and took the initiative to realize some of my losses were because of me once I started reaching my peak. SR is just a number…focus on improving yourself and not relying on teammates to carry you and then that SR # will climb without having to try. Just my two cents.

5 Likes

You’re delusional… its forced man. And they hide stats and do not provide a scoreboard for this reason.

Starcraft II never had this forced loss issue.
Sure, occasionally you got trash teammates in 2v2 or 3v3 ladder. However, as I improved and learned the fundamental basics of the game like build order, counter units, and timing… it was a cruise to GM and more competitive games; which is what players want… balanced competition. What determined who was better and who won the game was who micro’d their units better.

Further, they actually publicly display your MMR and provide you a full suite of performance stats for ALL teammates/enemies. Why not Overwatch?? What makes Overwatch so special?? It’s Activision’s corporate influence trying to impose their player psychology (addiction) algorithms… seriously…

4 Likes

I think I have the right to blame my teammates when it’s literally their fault I lost… It’s a team game you realize…

2 Likes

Or the fact that MMR translates to a long, nonsensical stream of letters/numbers we couldn’t make hide or hair of anyway…

3 Likes

How is it not your fault you cannot win? As you climb your opponents improve; you need to too. Then when people hit their ceiling they get tilted and play worse until they eventually quit. It’s all easily explainable.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t bother ranting here. The replies you will get are to improve and to try and win even if you have 5 people on your team AFK. Because matchmaking is 100% correctly working

3 Likes

You have to realize the other team has the exact same odds as you and if you really are out performing everyone else then that means your own team will be at an advantage. You basically have (1) player on your team that excels better than everyone else making the odds worse for them…that is in YOUR hands. If you’re losing more than 50% of your games, I can promise the reason is not your teammates all of the time. Yes, you will get bad ones…but not to lose every single game. The game isn’t out to get you that bad…lol

3 Likes

Starcraft manages to display their MMR numbers with clear transparency for their playerbase… OW can too. They don’t for a reason and that reason is corrupt otherwise it would be public by now.

I’m sure they can get sued if they publish it.
Their algorithms can lead to depression, mental anguish, addiction, insomnia, … all with liability on Activision/Blizzard if they make it public.

5 Likes

And others here think they are amazing and held back by (insert excuse) which they fixate on rather than their own performance. Yet none have the guts to post a VOD or similar. I wonder which camp sees results: excuses or owning your mistakes. I’ll let you choose.

4 Likes

Or maybe they feel it’s better to not? It’s not hard to figure out your rough MMR in relation to your SR.

And… you don’t know a thing about how liability works if you think anyone at Blizzard is responsible for mental ‘anguish’ (air quoted) that resulted fron their game. As someone with actual depression (on meds and in therapy) for actual reasons it’s insulting to trivialize it by saying a game caused it. It’s a game; if you’re not having fun why even play it?

1 Like

You posted VODs recently, nobody responded so you cried… and then got trolled by a few ppl saying you weren’t good but didn’t provide any positive reinforcement feedback for you.

It’s no surprise nobody wants to post VODs on this toxic forum…

3 Likes

I think the problem you want to complain about is the 50/50 win/losses. It’s that OverWatch puts players who are better or worst on your team or the enemy team.

This makes the game mathamaticaly even. Unfortunate for the community that number doesnt exist in real life.

The game could put a team together with all 6 as DPS, Healer or Tank. That is a automatic lose in any situation. But the enemy team has the same chances as your team for the same to happen.

The problem with the whole system it doesnt look to put people who play different roles on the same team. If it did that the games would feel better but the 50/50 numbers would be thrown off by that.

Blizzard doesn’t force any losses. They force you to have to carry a team to win, aka get better then the rank you are in. It’s a shotty way to do it and is unfun. But it does make sense. Try to enjoy the game get better and work harder to carry a team even if it means you need to tank, heal or dps to win.

3 Likes

Um… want to check my post history? I got a plethora of great feedback. Sure, some was less useful/harsher than I woulda liked but oh well. I got tons of great advice and am already improving my Rein play hugely while being more mindful of subtle things on Moira. This forum isn’t toxic; it has toxic elements but if you look for something you’ll find it. If you search for toxicity you’ll see it; if you search for positivity you’ll find it. Which would you rather search for?

7 Likes

You don’t study law. There are loopholes where dev corporations can get sued for in-game algorithms,and/or game design mechanisms. Loot boxes barely passed legality in a recent case. I’m sure they might be made illegal soom enough.

3 Likes

Actually I do… i’m studying for my LSATs believe it or not. And already took prelaw among others. My opinion is by no means BAR levels but it’s certainly above that of most people. I can assure you that no court would find the defendent guilty of any of the allegations. The defendent did not trick, force, coerce, or otherwise require playing which lead to such mental ‘anguish.’

So… what’s your rebuttal, eh?

3 Likes