Why does Bliz just not care about Bastion?

WHY IS THIS SO TRUE?!?!

Allow me to Explain.
If the Enemy Hanzo is stupid enough to continue corner peeking Multiple times at a Sentry Bastion, From ten OR LESS Meters away, The Hanzo should die.

Right now with current Bastion you have two options:

Take the beating so you can Respawn as a Different hero.

Or try to get up, And get headshot by the hanzo.

You literally cannot do Enough concentrated damage to kill someone who is LITERALLY FIVE METERS AWAY FROM YOU.
as long as they Corner peek, they are unkillable.

3 Likes

Before the Bastion rework, the Sentry gun was an effective counter to corner peeking. With headshots, a lower maximum spread, and a drastically lower minimum spread, Bastion could effectively snipe out to a maximum of 30 meters. Hanzo could still corner peek a Bastion at 30 meters with only minimal healing back then or simply back up a few more meters to take advantage of Bastionā€™s extreme damage falloff past that range.

Nowadays, Bastion canā€™t even effectively cover the open ground of the objective on maps like Nepal: Sanctum from the surrounding platforms because of how severely limited his Sentry gunā€™s range and damage is. He has to be literally on top of the objective to be effective, where he will die instantly.

I donā€™t think enough people realize how astronomically huge of a nerf the Bastion rework was to his damage output.

1 Like

They really donā€™t realize. ;-;

And yea, I played since the Official Releaseā€¦ Bastion was what originally brought me to this game.

THIS is possibly my biggest problem with all of it.
(Besides the ability to hit headshots being removed)

You see, One of my all time Favorite places to set up when playing on Defense, Is the left highground on the Control point of Numbani.
(And the Trees, But thatā€™s a whole other discussion.)

But NOW If you set up on that highground, the Enemy can literally just out damage you, Forcing you to relocateā€¦ Simply by taking the Right highground.
(the one that the Enemies can Easily Access without much direct counterplay.)

Bastion is no longer a Defensive hero, And can no longer Deny Areas.

This is the Problem.

1 Like

No, they were more concerned about how durable he was with healing.

The problem with the rework is that it empowered Bastion against his flanker counters, which was a problem. That is what percentile damage reduction does. What a forward shield would not have caused.

35% Ironclad massively improves the effective healing he gets, it nearly makes Mercyā€™s healing 50% better. Throw in the support of an Ana and wellā€¦ it took truly massive firepower to take him down and he could shrug of most ults like they were almost nothing thanks to that.

A Forward shield would of been a completely different scenario. Specifically there were counters to it. Sombra could just EMP to negate Bastion, hack him from a flank. Once Moira got put in she could use a D.Va supported Reinhardt as a shield in order to Coalescence the Bastion to death. Force it to heal and need a healer to help keep it up. This would allow people to get into position to pop him. Such as a Tracer moving in to pulse bomb.

There was far more counter play in a forward shield. There was no counter play to straight always on percentile damage resistance.

And in light of that, Ironclad was nerfed. And that would be fine, if Bastion had gotten some damage back as compensation. As it is right now, Bastionā€™s Sentry gun could be entirely reverted to its pre-rework state while keeping all of the other changes, and then he might actually be a consistently useful hero.

3 Likes

But can we also talk about how it feels to play AS Bastion, not just against one? :thinking:

Everyone always defaults to:
ā€œBut how would i be able to kill that with the least amount of Button presses?ā€

And no offence to you Specifically, But it kinda Triggers Me a Bit. ;-;

Also, Bastion was only able to really Survive most ults when Nano Boosted Not on his own during the time of the Ironclad buff.

Not only Sentry, Tank Mode too. Right now Tank Mode is a liability. Its long transformation time coupled with its overall nerfed effective health makes it difficult to apply. You can often times die before you can be effective.

Funny enough it was because of Ironclad that damage resistance got capped at 50%.

Me I did not get to play that version of Bastion, with the 35% Ironclad. I did see it as a problem and tried to argue against it but people just shouted me down for pointing out that it was going to wind up being a big nerf to Bastionā€¦

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a good Comparison of Old Bastion, VS The Ironclad BUFF Bastion.

This^ Is the Original version of Bastion.
(And yes, that is my Favorite tree strategy from back then. :3)

And This^ Is right after the ā€œReworkā€ With the Insane spread, And Ironclad.
It makes ZERO Sense when compared, in my honest opinion. O-o

I would take the Bastion featured in the First video above, ANY DAY Compared to what they Tried and Failed to do.

Funny enough, Bastion can actually live through pulse bomb again now that Tracer has been nerfed. However, he still gets completely destroyed by all the other projectiles aimed at him while stationary with the nerfed Ironclad.

I think the two videos would have shown a more obvious difference if you had the reticleā€™s spread indicator turned on, but at least it did show some quick kills at mid-long range with ammo management in the first video to compare against the hold-down-the-trigger-and-pray gameplay in the second video.

What Iā€™d really like is a video of old Bastion dropping down behind an attacking team as the payload goes under the first bridge in Watchpoint: Gibraltar. High, risk, high reward maneuvers are what make the game fun, and that sort of play from a Bastion absolutely took the cake! Too bad he wouldnā€™t actually kill anything these daysā€¦ theyā€™d have time to take cover before then even if they couldnā€™t fire back.

1 Like

Yeaā€¦ X3 sorry for the Lack of good Reference vids, Those are just a couple i had from way back whenā€¦ I have a TON More on my Xbox, But currently no way to reliably move themā€¦ ;-;

But yea, I get what you meanā€¦ That ā€œSpray and Prayā€ Playstyle gets on my nerves.

Bastion really did used to be about high risk high reward plays.
It took aim, and positioning to make those plays happen.

Nowadays if the Enemy can see you, Youā€™re dead.

Also, people have complained that the First video up there shows a ā€œSniperā€ Bastionā€¦ But my point of using that one Specifically is that a Soldier 76/Mccree or even a Sombra Does better damage at rangeā€¦ So are they Snipers too now?:thinking:

Whatā€™s this Fox News crap?

Iā€™d put links but I canā€™t.

When I say ā€œnumbersā€ I mean mostly statistics. A lot goes into making statistics like population sampled, sample size, and how long data has been recorded (and others) which can end up skewing results. Also, thereā€™s the common phrase ā€œcorrelation does not mean causationā€.

Iā€™m usually skeptical when people use a few stats to make a point. Often times people can pick and choose stats which justify their views rather than looking at the information as a whole.

Honestly, I feel Homer Simpson put it best ā€œfacts shmacks, you can use facts to prove anythingā€.

Not all stats are bad, but not all stats are good either.

While you are correct that numbers do not prove anything without proper interpretation, you cannot dismiss numerical evidence solely based on the idea that it could be misinterpreted or otherwise misused. In order to disprove a claim based on numbers you must provide an alternative and equally if not more valid and contrary interpretation of the available evidence.

1 Like

They should reduce how long heā€™s stuck in animation when he uses his ult. The transformation time is too long.

Maybe increase his speed during his ult or allow him to roll slowly in sentry form. The spread in recon mode is a bit too much as well.

A few things (based a little on experiences, mostly on reading the forums; didnā€™t play much Bastion after I moved from Vs A.I.):

• Reverting the Sentry Modeā€™s weapon changes is probably a good idea (although caution will still need to be taken).
  • The frontal barrier idea some have mentionedā€¦that seems pretty cool, and would help with self-protection.
  • Although he should still be weak to flankers, he should still have some way to help himself if he ends up in that situation (say, Recon Mode having a knockback grenade).
  • Why does this ā€œTankmode on Eā€ idea keep coming up?!?! WHY DO PEOPLE FORGET WHAT HAPPENED TO MERCY?!?!?! And this is VERY likely to happen again with Symmetra! An E ability is needed (at least for Sentry; Recon may also need one), but NOT THIS!!!
  • Stats can be manipulated/changed (as someone who has studied statistics, econometrics, accounting, etc., I have experience with this). In this case, the low pickrate shows that he is niche, while the average winrate could show a few things, such as picked on both sides (so using Bastion to counter Pirate Ship) or isnā€™t the most effective in those cases.
  • Tank Mode could also use some buffs so it doesnā€™t die as much.
1 Like

The maximum spread in recon mode is fine. Itā€™s smaller than Soldierā€™s maximum spread. Recon is fine. Bastion is not meant to be played in Recon mode, Bastion is about Sentry form because that is what actually makes Bastion unique, and Bastion is bad because Sentry form is bad.

bastion is usually gone after you reach level 40-50. he is a very common pick by 10-30 ranked players though. I played bastion a lot then.

Soo agree, or fix the mentality of relying sentry mode. Honestly I like him the way he is, sure itā€™s a niche and situational, dependant upon the maps for the way you play and all that but yeah. Heā€™d be the hardest one to alter without having to fix the issues post release.

Depends on how the frontal barrier is implemented. If it is like the beta barrier then it would be on turret facing. Meaning as long as the Bastion play spun around after he realizes his back critspot is being hit he could bring the barrier to bear against the flanker. Course that can just put his critspot in LoS of the opposing team and with the barrier moved can result in him getting hooked by a roadhog.

The reason people keep suggesting Tank Mode on E is because Transformation is a big theme of Bastion. The theory would be is that he could transform to suit the situation at hand. For instance, he could use Sentry to barrier bust a Reinhardt and then swap to Tank Mode in order to lob AoE damage into the team that was clustered behind the Reinhardt. Also Tank Mode allows for Bastion to Rocket Jump, it would give him the ability to get into positions he previously would not have been able to setup in.

Combine with an ult that is a general enhancement that fits his theme, or even another transformation and he could be flexible in terms of what his body can do, even if he lacks in normal abilities like other characters.

Well I donā€™t know what to tell ya bud, immobility in a game all about mobility is horrible, case closed. Itā€™s not a coincidence that torbs turret, another immobile thing, is bad.