Why do you want MMR reset

You are right about that. So reset + 20 placement games outside of normal comp games with already ranked players and adding requirement of lvl 50 for entry to comp.

Btw data collection should probably stay or you will not know what is gm and what is gold play. You will have no comparison. I think even first season started with already collected data from qp or internal sources.

You are right about that. So reset + 20 placement games outside of normal comp games with already ranked players and adding requirement of lvl 50 for entry to comp.

Btw data collection should probably stay or you will not know what is gm and what is gold play. You will have no comparison. I think even first season started with already collected data from qp or internal sources.

Btw, what you will do with all modes outside of comp? They all use only MMR to balance games.

1 Like

Well that’s the thing. Is a GM someone who wins games or are they someone with all kinds of other skills, defined by accuracy %, apm, ult generation, wombo combos, etc? In some sense all the little things are supposed to map and convert into winning. Which is partly why a ladder based on no-reset winrates has lost touch with raw skill curve pdf.

You can avoid data collection (for the sake of matchmaking) by sieving winners/losers brackets - e.g. GM means only that you win against other winners, or have racked up the best win ratio (since reset).

For OW2 timelines, you could seed initial placements based on some kind of randomized encounter somewhat like an aim trainer workshop - where you have to land shots, listen to bot callouts, group, push, combo ults, etc.

And you really only need about 4-5 discrete pools for seeding someone’s approximate calibre (throwers and sloths all the way up to cheats/scripts).

Probably just a hidden SR that is slack/loose.

Note that when most of us are talking about MMR, we really mean KSR. mmr is a kind of chase mechanism typically used in calibration matches that projects where your sr deserves to be. In most ladders it is basically your pbsr or sr gains.

When people talk about rigging through hidden mmr they really mean KSR, or knapsacking rating, which is your expected contribution to the team. It’s the KSR that really rubs people the wrong way.

Something like that would be usefull for new players.

But dude :slight_smile: players will then be saying that there is hidden SR in comp too what is rigging games, dont you think? :slight_smile:

If you are placed as 1700 MMR player in match, you are expected to provide 1700 MMR game play. Even if team average MMR is lower or higher.that is your expected contribution.

Thats why is MMR more important than SR. SR is not your skill. Its visible rating which tend to be close to it but it is not that accurate.

Lets say you 2000 MMR player and your SR is too 2000 right? Your KSR is obviously 2000 too as you are expected to provide value as 2000 player.

Now we can agree that leaving games do not change your gaming skill right?

Ok, if you leave two games in current MMR system, MMR is not affected. It has no effect on your MMR. Only your SR is changed. So you will still be placed in games as 2000 MMR player.

If you would use only SR and remove MMR, leaving two games is - 100 SR. So you would be placed into games as 1900 player with KSR 1900. But thats wrong, your expected contributing should not be 1900 because your skill didnt change by leaving two games. Thats why system with SR without MMR would result in more unbalanced games.

1 Like

How would it be easier? And can you please give some examples?

There are allready swings in SR as it is, but it is mostly kept silent because profiles are locked by default (another transparency fault by blizzard - it should be open by default and then closed by whoever wants it). If you matched by SR only it seems that the middle ranks would have less swing due to the inability of blizzard to put out of place players into the mix for whatever unsporting reason they want. Higher ranks alreasdy have SR limits in place to mediate this.

I already did above in smaller scale.

You can leave 10 games and lower your sr by 500 points easily in few days. But your skill didnt change at all. Thats impossible in current system.

I don’t want MMR reset. I want MMR GONE.

4 Likes

Already explained why having only SR isnt a good idea.

Also I dont understand why do you reply with link to relic topic about handicapping when handicapping as the author is reffering doesnt in reality exist. And he wants games to be chaotic with all ranks in ii together :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Please outline it again. I didn’t take much away from “people wouldn’t like it”.

MMR has no place in fair matchmaking. You can rank and score by SR, you can ship matches by tight SR band, you can have SR for arcades. MMR offers nothing but rigged matches and longer queues in order to solve additional constraints. Cut out the fat and abolish it.

1 Like

You can leave 10 games and lower your sr by 500 points easily in few days in only SR system. But your skill didnt change at all. Basicly anyone who left game or dropped out would have not been accurately placed. And it can be easily abused. Thats impossible in current system where leaving doesnt impact MMR.

1 Like

Then you make it so leaving doesn’t drop that much SR. And it just locks you out of comp for a long time. Anyone doing egregious deranking would get flagged so doing it on multiple accounts every time there is a reset just makes it unproductive. Another reason you want more periodic resets - to encourage maining an account and make maintaining a bunch of burners a huge risk/chore.

In current system mmr is never far away from sr. You have said so yourself, that it’s impossible to have a 600sr player with 1400mmr. Now, if you’re talking about KSR then that might be different. The only reason a KSR wouldn’t budge is because of rigging. And you said so yourself there is no rigging.

In a no-mmr (ksr) system, your rank is your payout. If you’re low SR, you go with/against people who don’t win. If you stomp them, you shoot up with more pbsr. But you’re never expected to contribute more/less then your 16% share of the team. In fact, no bets are placed on your contribution. You play the odds against a random backdrop for your rank.

There is no reason to be scored, matched, ranked, paid-out and/or analyzed on anything but the final number you see: SR.

1 Like

I want an MMR reset so all the hard-stuck’s will end up hard-stuck (again) and have nothing left to blame except accepting the fact that they just aren’t as good as they think they are…

9 Likes

I don’t want an MMR reset and I don’t think it would change anything.
Although I do think it would be hilarious to see the chaos when people from bronze all the way to GM would be in same games at the beginning of each season if they did seasonal resets.

Top comment upvote!!

3 Likes

But that’s how you get handicapped matches…

2500 player leaves 10 games and drops to 2000 (notwithstanding he’d be banned by that point…)

With mmr handicapping he gets given 1500 mmr player on his team to “even it out”.

Either he loses and stats lower than he should, or the 1500 mmr player gets Boosted.

Big reason why comp is such a crap show.

Seen this first hand duo with my gm friend on gold smurf. We either faced other smurfs or got bronze tier dead weight team mates to drag us down.

He told me his gm games were less sweaty than trying to carry his gold games.

Not right.

1 Like

Leaving doesnt affect the MMR.

3 Likes

That’s not how it works. In that situation he wouldn’t be give a lower mmr player to “even it out”. They’d be put in a lobby with other players at or as near as possible to their MMR.

The only time there will be players drastically off of the MMR average of the lobby is when there are people grouped together who are drastically apart of each other.

3 Likes

Sorry, meant 2000 sr. He then gets a 1500 mmr, 2000 sr player to drag him down.

Also, see my gm friend example above.

One gold game he got 95 elims. He told me he lost that one. Handicapped matchmaker dragging him down.

End if the day leads to an utter crap show.

Eg, I see a bronze Hog using cover, corner peeking, landing great hooks, etc.

I see a gold Hog just feed constantly.

There’s even Stylosa and Your Overwatch saying sr is meaningless right now.

(not really true. I know I’d get murdered in a plat+ game. But I also see bronzes as gold and golds as bronzes).

1 Like

Exactly right, it has to be removed. “Resetting” MMR would have practically no effect whatsoever. Within the first few matches for each player, MMR would have all the data it needs to handicap subsequent matches. Removing the MMR system, making competitive play solo-queue only, and resetting SR is what we need.

1 Like

See my gm example.

We either faced another smurf, or got wood tier team mates.

There’s an issue when my gm friend finds gold matches harder than gm.

(not that it matters to him. He got fed up with ow bull crap and left for Apex ages ago).

1 Like

Or your gm friend can’t stand losing in gold or dying to anything other than another smurf so they justify it to make themselves feel better.

Not saying that they never faced another smurf or got a bad teammate but I doubt it was as frequent as they thought.

People have games where they have a bad performance and underperform their rating. People have games where they have a great performance and over-perform their rating. It happens. People like your friend often have the attitude of not respecting their opponent’s ability to punish their mistakes unless they’re a smurf because “I’m the smurf on my team”. They have the attitude of expecting their random teammates to follow and play around what they do no matter what because “I’m the smurf do what I say”, if they’re that good they should be able to play around what their team does without playing the dictator for the team. After all, how often do you hear “pocket me I’m gm on my main” or “it’s not my fault we lost I’m gm on my main” 90% of the time it’s just a lie to divert blame from themselves for sake of their ego.

2 Likes