Why do support mains feel entitled to Echo?

I mean look at the roster alone, its not just support players but tank players too.

LOOK AT OUR HERO SELECTION!

DPS have a plethora of characters while we have set main healers and set off healers.

1 Like

Is brig not an off healer?

Believe me I get it before I became a Doomfist main I was all Ana.

Probably because of the community citing tank and support selection scarcity for years now.

Who cares Echo is a DPS,if her destiny is to be a DPS give us a proper support hero.

On the contrary, I’ve been here since day one and participated in some of those threads arguing against 222, and remember well whom I was arguing against. Moreover, as a tank main for every season from 1 to 21, I can tell you that tank and support players were not en masse for role lock. We were highly respected and sought after in that clown fiesta time, because the alternative was a DPS player, who was not fast enough to lock his hero and halfassed it on a role he felt forced to fill. The same DPS player that afterwards came to these forums to complain about it and ask for role queue.

1 Like

I think, and I didn’t read the entire thread, so forgive me if I’m repeating what others have said, what’s rankling the most is that it’s been clear that people thought Echo was a support. (Abundantly clear) It would have given nothing away for devs to come on 6 months ago and say “echo isn’t a support”, people would have just accepted it and moved on instead of getting prepared to play her as a support. I think the silence kind of made it feel like she was a support. Even I was hoping she might be a good swap from Mercy . I’m not mad she’s a dps, but the numbers are rather disproportional.

good thing we have hero bans and 222 now to stop anything like that

It mostly comes from bias and wish fulfillment. HOTS players have to deal with this sort of thing all the time.

The funny part is people are ignoring the fact that Echo might actually be an answer to a few balance problems with her ability to transform into other characters. It’s not a perfect solution, mind you, but it could help. Or completely break the game. With Blizzard it’s a 50/50.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, a whole 7 days with decent Q times. Yippy…

What does that have to do with this discussion, as a whole?

Oh, but we can’t bring that up, because that doesn’t fit “Blizz only caters to DPS (players)” narrative.

That is fair, but a lot of people aren’t acting like you are. There are people on here screeching at the top of their lungs about Echo not being a Support.

Hell, there were already Echo DPS hate threads before we even knew what role she was.

basically, the very idea of adding another damage hero to this game, makes some people lose their minds.

Yup, you’re correct, even your own comment got flagged. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Right?

Yeah, And there have been a bunch of hate threads towards flankers and widow and such, by tank and support players. What’s your point?

So they just don’t add another damage character for years? Until the other two catch up? That doesn’t exactly seem fair either.

I mean, come on, it’s been about a year and a half since the damage role got a Hero.

I don’t think it’s exactly unreasonable to add another one

On this forum? With this game? unlikely. You would have a better chance of asking a magical genie for a unicorn.

Yeah, and then throw some Tank Mains hating on DPS as well, and you got a party.

Then, you have people like myself, who try to see it from all sides, and then just get crapped on by every “camp” in this game (except maybe old flex players that share my mentality).

But, yeah, always fun. People treat OW like a war. Tank and Support against DPS and all three of them against people who don’t wont to take a side/try to keep the peace/see things from all angles. Throw in some hate for the developers and one tricks, and you pretty much have the Overwatch forums, in a nutshell.

2 Likes

It has nothing got to do with the overwatch community the entire young generation and college students are entitled. They over priverillaged.

And they need to get working just to have some sort appreciation for what they got

So because 7 supports, Echo absolutely had to be a support? Yeah no, that’s not rational. If they realeased another hero as a support and Echo still came out as a DPS later, people would have reacted the same way.

1 Like

You should of known better. You literally made the title argumentative and probably knew it would cause resentment and provoke people.

1 Like

just like to point out we waited 9 months from hero 31 to 32. and with only 7 months left til blizzcon i highly doubt we’re getting any more heroes til OW 2. i could be wrong but I did call out for the last 2 months hero 32 would be dps following their trends and they still havn’t changed them despite their claims.

We’ll see but lets be realistic, it’s blizz.

1 Like

So that means that they can only release support heroes? Got it.

This is why Jeff picks his words wisely as often as he can, because people take them literal.

1 Like

To be honest, though, it’s hard not to feel like that sometimes.

As someone who plays all three roles, used to flex/fill back in the day, and has tried his best to see everything from all angles/sides, I can tell you how often I get crapped on, on this forum.

If I say something like: “hey maybe Tanks/Supports are a bit overnerfed”, (some) DPS mains jump down my throat.

If I say something like: “you know, it’s not the end of the world that Echo is a DPS. I mean, it has been about a year and a half since Damage got a new Hero”, (some) of the Support Mains want to tear me limb from limb.

So, will you’re getting it from all sides, it can be hard to tell who’s friend and who’s foe and if it’s an “All the X Mains” thing or only some of them.

Honestly, the amount of hate I get on here from some people is just ridiculous.I feel like the only people that seem to have my back, outside of a couple “X Mains”, are others who do/did play multiple roles and flexed back in the day. Because, they understand a lot of what I’m saying.

But, a lot of the “X Role Mains”, I can’t seem to win with them. Basically, a lot of them treat me like crap, because I won’t take a side and their pointless little “war”.

It won’t happen, man. I’ve tried barking up this tree before. All it does is get people yelling and screaming at you.

Exactly. I agree. Nice to see someone else that gets it.

It’s just the mentality of some of these people. Yes, I agree that the game does need more tank and support heroes. But, the thing is, even if we were going by the regular schedule, it would take years for those two rosters to catch up to DPS.

So, does that mean, in the meantime, we just don’t add any more DPS? How is that okay? I mean, come on, the last damage here to be out of the game was Ashe, And that was about a year and a half ago. It’s not unreasonable to want or add another damage hero into the game after that large amount of time.

No, his analogy was more for explaining 132. Not necessarily the amount of heroes parole. The amount of players. and, by the logic of the analogy, if there is more people wanting vanilla, you should make sure there’s more vanilla to serve (have more slots for them). And, If people aren’t eating as much strawberry (playing less Tanks), you should be serving less of it (have less Tank slots).

Hence, 132.

Me, actually. I love how versatile vanilla is. It goes with almost everything. You can make it stand alone in a shake, it works great for floats, banana splits, you can pour hot fudge over it and makes sundaes, You can top it with every type of topping imaginable (marshmallow fluff, bits of candy bars, nerds, Skittles, etc). It works with everything. Chocolate or strawberry isn’t that versatile, in my opinion. And when you start getting to special flavors, like Rocky road for example, the flexibility of the ice cream decreases even more.

So I like vanilla for how versatile it can be. But, that’s just me :man_shrugging:

You’re overall post makes a good point. As far as this particular comment, yes, playing Orisa was a Tank complaint. However, people from every role complained about Double Barrier. tanks were sick of playing it, DPS were sick of shooting at it, and Supports were sick of their choice is being limited, because of the barriers.

Personally, I didn’t really dislike double barrier, But I understood the complaints. So I will say where most of your comment is a really good point, pulling out Orisa, at least during the time of double barrier, was kind of a complaint from everybody.

But I agree with your overall sentiment. People like to think that it’s “Oh, the DPS (players) dictate the game”, when that isn’t entirely true. Honestly, every role has dictated the game/meta, at some point or another. So to put it on just one role isn’t correct or okay to do.

Yeah, that would be the next logical step, but let’s be realistic here, even if Echo was a support, that wouldn’t do a whole lot for the overall problem.

I mean, when we were getting three heroes a year, it’s still mathematically would have taken years for tank and support to even out with DPS. And that’s if we never added another DPS hero to the game.

To be honest, one hero release isn’t going to change this imbalance. They’re either going to have to do many releases over a long period of time or they’re going to have to do a big drop at once.

This isn’t a problem you fix overnight. And echo being part of any role wouldn’t change that.

Pretty much. And for some of these support players, that devolved into “let’s blame the DPS role/players for everything wrong with the game” and that just isn’t okay.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand getting bummed out. If I was a support main, I would feel the same way. But there’s a difference between being disappointed and outright raging against the role that got the hero.

Some people are just taking this way too far

And, you see, that’s the other reality.

Yes, there is a reality that this game does need more tank and support options. I’m not going to argue that.

But, whether people like it or not, DPS is the most popular role. And, when you have stuff like that project A game on the horizon, it is probably best for Blizzard to add another damage character to entice DPS players to stay and play their game.

Especially, when Q times are an issue and things like that. They need something to keep the largest part of their player based around.

You also have to think, they have OverWatch 2 to consider here. If A huge chunk of their most popular role leaves now, they might not come back for the sequel. And that will hurt their bottom dollar.

I’m not saying I necessarily agree with that type of logic and business practice, but I do understand it.

That is true. And it’s also a potential loss for OverWatch 2.

As I said in my other reply to a person I quoted (Which is right above this one):

It is kind of in Blizzard’s best interest to add a damage here right now. First of all, the DPS is the largest part of their player base. And second of all, there’s going to be a lot of games on the horizon that will entice these players to move on from Overwatch. So, it probably is a good idea to add something to try and keep them around. Yes, it would also help to fix Q times, but that’s more of a long-term solution.

Honestly, with the release of Echo being a DPS, they’re probably trying to keep those damage players around, so they’re actually interested in continuing to watch owl and by the “sequel” game. And, they probably figure, by then, they’ll have some solution to the Q time problem. And then hopefully though increase the player base once again and overwatch will be doing well overall.

From a business strategy standpoint, it’s actually a pretty good idea. I’m not saying I necessarily agree with it from a customer or players standpoint, but I understand the logic and reasoning for it.

Wow, that’s quite a shift. I’m not even talking about roles, I’m talking about pure play styles. Damn.

Very true.

Honestly, with her ultimate alone, she’s one of the most flexible DPS we have.

Yeah, there was ones that always brought certain amount of utility, like Sombra and symetra and all that, but to have an ultimate that literally makes you a different character, can be quite the game changer. It’s just a matter of whether that’s a positive or a negative.

Yeah, agreed.

people seem to think that just because we have less tank and support heroes, that that’s all that should be added to the game for years and years. That just isn’t realistic.

No matter what echo would have been, the problem of lack of tanks and supports is going to be an issue. It can either be solved over a long period of time, by adding one with each release. Or, by adding multiple with a huge release (like OW2).

But, it’s still a mostly long-term problem. and adding a single DPS hero will not change that. Even if Echo was a tanker support, the main problem would still have been there. It’s not something that can be solved overnight.

2 Likes

It would be less of a problem if the hero release schedule picked up a bit. I think because we have what feels like an eternity between hero releases right now, the frustration simply builds for the players who really love the support / tank roles but are tired of the limited selection in comparison to the damage class…

I’m personally ecstatic for any new hero - but i think OW already knows they owe tank /support players some options for their hero selections and they likely gave DPS players Echo rn to hold THEM over for the impending support / tank releases we all look forward to in coming months/years - or at least I choose to think this as they said they have a number of them in testing :wink:

Yeah I guess I got tired of always going for the aim/precision weapon types. I played Halo before Overwatch so I guess with that and Ana I got my fill of precision weapons and craved that explosive Doomfist mobility, read based gameplay.

Ana’s still really unique and fun though and I still love her design a healing sniper is genius.

1 Like

No, you just choose to ignore the plethora of reasons given.

1. Jeff in an interview was asked about the disproportionate amount of tanks and supports. As a solution, he said the team was working on 6 heroes at the same time to help fix that. Logic would dictate that the answer to the question, was actually an answer to the question.

2. There was only one guaranteed hero to be released before the release of Overwatch 2, which is speculated to come out next year. In the mean time, role’s are more stale than ever given 2/2/2, with 7 supports, 8 tanks, and 16 dps. Logic would dictate you balance that out, especially with role queue now being a thing.

3. Even in Lore, Echo as a dps makes absolutely no sense. Scientist creates a bunch of crazy omnics that go on a killing spree, and is upset about it. Wants to create something to show the world that omnics can be more than just killing machines. So, she made a machine that kills even better? That doesn’t even logic.

4 Likes