Why do Some Support Mains feel like Supports should always Overpower DPS?

This has been a recurring theme on the Overwatch forums for a while now: A group of support mains (mostly Mercy/Moira/Brigitte mains) are pushing this agenda that supports need to be able to completely overpower and have the advantage over any given DPS at any given time.

Before Moira’s release, supports had an interesting dynamic with their counters (flankers or dive tanks) where they either had to fight or flee. If you chose to fight, as most Ana and Zen players must, it would be a test of your mechanical skill, as you had to land the majority of your shots (And/Or sleep dart for Ana) if you wanted to survive. Fleeing was the better option for Lucio and Mercy, but a Lucio could also choose to fight with them as well, depending on who it was. Of course, the flankers and dive tanks always had a distinct advantage (as counters are supposed to), but supports were never really “helpless” as most support mains claim they were.

When Moira came out, people were like, “Oh, finally! A support that can defend herself~!”, even though Zenyatta and Ana (pre gutting) could already do that if they could land shots. She was pretty much the only support in the game who straight up killed you if you didn’t land at least 90% of your shots in a 1v1 with her. Now Brigitte’s in the game and she’s quickly become the best 1v1er.

Now, this wouldn’t be so bad if the player had to work a little to do it, but there are two distinct problems here.

1. Brigitte and Moira do it for practically no effort. It’s. so. easy. to 1v1 someone as them that it’s almost sad, and I’ve seen a lot of players using them as a crutch to get to higher elos.
  2. They’re supports. Supports as heroes should never hold an easy, distinct advantage over the DPS heroes, especially supports as easy as these two are.

Now, for better or worse this is a dynamic that Blizzard wants for their game, one that I don’t particularly agree with. But the number of people who defend them just to use them as a crutch to get to higher elos is just ridiculous to me, because it’s essentially the equivalent of corner camping in COD: It’s a Cheap and lazy way of gaining an advantage over players who are better than they are. (Yes, support mains, I know you LOVE the COD analogy).

This leads into another topic I’m drafting right now about lazy supporting in Overwatch, but that’s a Titanium sized post that is in its early stages as I want to see what the next round of balance changes brings in.

Signed
An Ana/Zen main who is getting fed up with the other support mains.

TL;DR: The title.

302 Likes

“Because DPS mains are bullies and I wanna get back at them…Effortlessly!!!”

That only applies to some of the more overzealous, insane Support mains. Generally only see them here and a few on Reddit.

87 Likes

I believe that supports should overpower dumb DPS who want to treat Overwatch like it’s COD. I don’t believe that flankers should just be able to freely pick off supports with minimal effort. I want them to work for it.

260 Likes

The free kill meme is still alive. :+1:

38 Likes

Because there’s an extreme bias and this forum is practically run by Mercy Mains who believe Supports should be OPAF (if they’re not, they’re ‘boring’ to play) and define the meta by themselves, even though they already do.

110 Likes

It’s actually pretty crazy the differences in opinions between the millions of people in game and the couple thousand on the forums.

All the Mercy mains I know and play with think she’s great, and they all think Moira and Brigitte are busted. Crazy how different these two worlds are.

19 Likes

Tanks can do it, why not supports?

5 Likes

So you think supports should just be able to freely pick off DPS then?

Flankers are supposed to counter supports the same way Brigitte currently counter’s Brigitte.

21 Likes

But a support that murders flankers with minimal effort is a-ok because…?

87 Likes

I genuinely think that the introduction of Moira and Brigitte was a step into the wrong direction. Rock, paper scissors balancing is boring. It doesn’t help much that they’re both super, super easy to play either.

Pharah can play duckhunt with Widow and Soldier…
Widow can still one shot Tracer…
Roadhog can hook Reaper.
Genji can deflect McCree’s flashbang.
Ana could Sleepdart Dragonblade.

These hero interactions allowed heroes to be playable in all circumstances if mastered. But now there’s no point in landing a sleepdart on Dragonblade, because you can kite and auto aim him to death as Moira, or shieldbash him with Brigitte’s [delete Genji] button.

58 Likes

It sounds like OP wants a Support to be a free kill. A lot of people will play Support because they aren’t very good at aiming, so Brig/Moira is there to appeal to people who like to heal, who can’t aim, but need to protect themselves.

49 Likes

So requiring aim = free kill?

:thinking:

29 Likes

Ayy, the first one to comment without reading the post.

Supports have never been “free kills”, and no, I don’t want them to be. I LOVE the feeling of sleeping and killing a Genji or Tracer who’s been dancing around me. I just don’t want it to be as easy as it’s been for Moira and Brigitte.

28 Likes

Dumb DPS who treat Overwatch like it’s COD.
You know, the kind who think they’re gods gift to the earth and think their aim is so godly that they don’t need to worry about teamwork. The kind who abandon their team in favour of racking up kills.

53 Likes

There it is!

:joy:

Anyway, no one should ever want ANY character period to be a “free kill” regardless of the class they play. If you’ve ever considered yourself a “free kill” to anyone, that’s an internal issue, not an external one. All Supports have always had the tools to either escape or fight off/outplay their attackers, some require actual effort to do so, others don’t, that’s what OP is getting at.

19 Likes

This. I don’t like impossible matchup. Counters giving some advantage is fine, but straight up slaughtering other characters (especially with the easy bash combo) just feels wrong. On any character

32 Likes

No, I read it. I was referring to this:

That’s a big if for people who play Support because they can’t land shots consistently.

8 Likes

God forbid you actually have to be a better player than the attacker to kill them.

77 Likes

Imo if you can’t land shots you deserve to be defeated. But this isn’t a regular fps so w/e

40 Likes

Exactly. This game appeals to people of all skill levels. A support like Brig being able to easily defend themselves is good, and she can also be countered easily by Junk/Pharah.

People complaining about Supports protecting themselves need to stop.

But why should tracer/genji mains adapt when they can take to the forums and complain?

33 Likes