Why do projectiles still disappear on death?

If that actually happens, it must be an uncommon bug.

Yea, same thing happens to Mei

1 Like

i wish STUNS didn’t cancel projectiles mid flight.
Mei is probably the worst victim of this, because her ult has a cast time and then travel time.
If she gets cc’d any time before snowball actually starts creating the blizzard he disappears.

Tracer and Zarya also can have this happen. With tracer it’s semi-common because she has to be real close to get pulse bomb off, zarya it’s very rare cause she’s usually out of cc and there are more important cc targets usually.

1 Like

True, the issue isn’t really there for Hanzo or Ana’s primary, but definitely Pharah, Pulse Bomb and Ana’s abilities (including Nano). I don’t really play other Projectiles, so I’m wondering which other hero is effected. Also, while we’re at it, please fix hook’s hitbox.

Happened a lot like a year and a half ago to me when I still regularly played Pharah, it still happens to me with Tracer and Ana.

Meanwhile it was before the nerf/bug that 'caused it.

Don’t forget about projectile ults that disappear when CC’d.

Freeze! Don’t–flashbang noise

u w0t m8

They never did there are some projectile abilities just have a cast time like mei and tracer’s ult:
All cancable ultcasttimes (live)

If killed withhin that casttime the ult disappears because it never really was a projectile till after the cast.

Everything after the cast is at max a latency issue.

don’t hammonds mines just disappear in mid air too?

these things are always depressing :roll_eyes:

But if this is true why does the ult-charge disappear and skills go on cooldown?

Mei’s ult disappearing when she’s killed/stunned/frozen/slept has never made sense to me. She’s the only hero with a deployable, mechanical ult/ability that disappears when she’s killed/stunned/frozen/slept. Junkrat’s Riptire, Ana’s Bob, Baptiste’s inmortality field, Torbjorn’s turret, Sombra’s translocator (except death), Wrecking Ball’s mines, etc… I think the only exception would be Tracer’s pulse bomb but the deployment of that is so fast that it’s almost never an issue.

I’ve had Mei’s ult disappear when I’ve thrown it at my feet. Projectiles shouldn’t disappear on death. I think it might make sense if you or the mechanical projectile gets hacked, but disappearing?? That makes less sense than a Cyborg Ninja deflecting a tank shell 180 degrees back at the tank using a sword.

1 Like

It’s not a latency problem. Do extended testing if you really think it is. It even happens against training bots.

I find the latter difficult to believe, especially playing any iteration of online Halo.

It’s latency for sure, but it’s a problem very unique to Overwatch ant nowhere else.

If it was latency, then why does it happen in OWL games with zero ping?

I mean I could be wrong, but either way… It’s a huge problem in ladder and it is fixable, because other games have addressed the issue. I don’t see why Blizzard can’t do the same.

Does it? I haven’t noticed, but then again I haven’t paid attention

I’ll try to find a clip of it, but it may take a while to find a good example.

1 Like

The fact that it happens with regular shots is bad, with abilities really bad but the fact that it happens with ULTIMATES is way worse.
Like you throw Pulse or Blizzard, get stunned and killed and welp, you lost it.

2 Likes

It’s probably been said, but there’s a lot of posts here, sorry if I’m repeating someone else.

One reason why you might see things happening that end up ‘magically vanishing’ is due to network latency. On your screen you fired a rocket, then you died. However on, let’s say, Widow’s screen she killed you before your rocket was fired. The server sees both of these actions, determines which event happened first and quickly corrects what happened on your screen.

The only way I could think of to fix this issue is if everyone had a identical internet connect with the same latency, but that’s just not possible.

Bots in the training range also work the same way as players do. If you fire a rocket, but they kill you then the server still needs to determine what happened first.

There’s no such thing as zero ping, but it is incredibly, incredibly low. It can still happen, but the effect should be very rare.

If Mei throws Blizzard, it takes two seconds to fly to its destination and hit the ground, but after one second you are stunned by Brigitte or headshot by Widowmaker, your ult disappears one second after being cast and one second before deploying. There’s no argument for latency there, and trust me, people who play Mei know not to throw her ult long range for this reason, unless you know you’re 100% safe and there’s no DVa to eat it.

It’s just another poor gameplay feature, bug or not, that has clearly been left on purpose as a form of balance for heroes. I imagine Blizz feels that if they allowed bugs like Mei not being able to go into her cryo-freeze while she’s actively firing her primary that it would make her harder to kill and thus feel even more oppressive (and raged about on forums).

That’s a cast time that should probably be fixed. The rocket disappearing because Pharah died right after is latency and there’s nothing that can really be done about it.

1 Like