Why are quiet enemy footsteps still a thing? 2017-2020, Fix this already

In deathmatch I can see that happening… The game’s audio wasn’t designed for FFA at all and they don’t turn their system off for anything. Which is especially bad for the pros since they can’t truly train their ears to what is dangerous because the game is changing it around.

If Ana nanoboosts herself by you in DM you won’t hear the hog behind you… Silly stuff.

Yea and what’s wrong with that sentence?

His footsteps are LOUD, normally. Your own footsteps as Reaper are super loud. Yet the sound is bugged and most of the time you cannot hear anything approaching you before he’s already shooting at you and this happens every time with Reaper. If you don’t believe me, that’s ofc your prerogative.

He doesn’t have the loudest footstep sounds in the game I admit, it’s exaggerating but definitely not quiet since he’s not a light footed flanker like genji and tracer.

3 Likes

No attempt to hijack what-so-ever.

Have you (OP) or anyone else noticed a similar issue when it come to Ulting? I swear the audio cues have been borked for a few weeks now.

1 Like

Reaper is a flanker, if you are that inept that turning around to check every few seconds is so complicated, don’t blame the game.

And also, if it is that hard for you, counter pick.

2 Likes

Instantly after you respawn, sometimes the voicelines of a hero have a distorted crack, had that happens while playing Roadhog and Ana. Used to have it like months ago but it stopped and now it started to happen again :o

1 Like

Yep, I and others have said elsewhere in this thread that sometimes ults aren’t even getting announced, I died to Hanzos dragon the other day because of this issue.

1 Like

Reaper’s footsteps are the most loud and recognizable in the game, and it’s not a thing that you hear only within 5 meters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhZ7edbxZE

1 Like

This isn’t a “nerf reaper too op gg” thread, this is a “there’s something seriously borked in the audio system right now” thread.

2 Likes

Oh there is? Are you sure it’s not an intended buff for Reaper?

Ah thanks you two.

Going to keep an eye out for footsteps now.

1 Like

My own symmetra ulti sound actually cuts off here mid-sentence for no reason at all. And sometimes I’ve had some quiet ultis where I could swear I had not heard any ultimate voiceline, but I haven’t gotten those on tape so I don’t recall specific scenarios.

Me inept at turning around?

You don’t see my spider senses tingling when I don’t hear a single thing aside from zen volley yet I anticipate a Mei on my side trying to get me? And after that I did the same for roadhog?

But then again if you never see or hear reaper going for a flank despite that you’ve watched the surroundings with hawk eyes, then you probably would not anticipate a flank either when you’re also busy trying to help your teammates push the objective. But I guess when for one moment I stop looking at behind me is when I need to be punished for being bad when volley sfx drowns out footsteps sounds. =p

Reaper is also supposedly too loud to be a flanker unlike his light footed counterparts tracer and genji. There’s a reason they toned down his “REAPERSITIONING” voiceline. It was too loud even for reaper lol.

Other than the suprise flanks, reaper is not that hard hero to deal with.

4 Likes

Oh my bad I thought I saw people talking something about hidden buffs to these heroes before and I thought it was an actual thing, not a sound volume problem kind of thing that you see in the video.

PS: I still think Reaper should get quieter footsteps once this problem is resolved.

Id like more dev attention to this issue, I even went to the lengths of purchasing a sound card thinking that my headphones werent having enough juice. But the issue persists, Ive noticed this against reaper as well

2 Likes

I don’t know if that’s what Blizzard is doing as some kind of balance thing, but I and others have been experiencing issues where the footsteps of deadly enemies are deprioritized such that you can’t hear them at all or only barely, while others are loud and clear as day. I posted a video where I’m in a quiet Petra corridor alone and I’m surprise flashbang killed by McCree, but minutes later I hear a Widow clear as day from the same direction and can react immediately to it. I posted another where I’m a Widow and get surprise freeze killed by Mei, no footsteps at all and I only know she’s right next to me when I suddenly start getting frozen. Then I had a clip where I walk into and trip a Widow venom mine, but it makes no sound effect, and I only know I tripped it because of the character coughing. Other players like myself have also experienced ultimates not being announced with their audio cues, like Hanzos dragon or McCrees deadeye, leading to unexpected death. And other videos. There’s major issues in the sound system it seems.

Oh, if that’s an issue I hope it gets resolved as soon as possible.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a pretty big issue from a gameplay perspective. Blizzard said in their original GDC presentation about the OW sound design that they were intentionally trying to avoid this EXACT situation. It’s funny because they said that before Reapers would come up from behind unannounced and kill you out of nowhere with no chance to do anything about it because you couldn’t hear them coming, but that their new audio prioritization system fixed that issue by ranking sounds according to importance and adjusting volumes /filtering accordingly… but here we are players are getting surprise killed out of nowhere because the audio system isn’t working as intended.

3 Likes

I get the feeling it has something to do with prioritising your own character sfx compared to that of your enemies, which would mean everytime I use Zen volley, I’m becoming deaf to flankers which is not very nice. I kinda notice it often on Zen since Zen is weak to flankers and volley sound is pretty loud.

Perhaps the sound effects from your own character abilities could also be toned down, so you can hear whatever sfx happens around you better. Or maybe have a slider for your own and other sound effects.

4 Likes

That might have something to do with it, when I got surprise killed by McCree even though the corridor was empty I had just gone “on fire” and hanzo was saying it moments before the flashbang… Maybe other less important sounds are getting deemed high priority and accidentally kicking others into a low priority as a result.

2 Likes

I feel like with the large amount of audio noise in Overwatch, they’ve not been paying attention to the individual noises in a while. So many times I have been fighting with someone around a Sym turret or with Moira’s dmg beam on me and heard nothing, but the person that I’m mainly fighting.

2 Likes

Now that I think about it, has anybody else been having the issue where Symmetras turrets are shooting their lasers at you, but you don’t hear them making the laser sound? Or where Symmetra is shooting her beam at you, buy it doesn’t make any sound either? That’s been happening to me a LOT lately and I haven’t thought to upload anything for it, but it’s probably related.