Why are people happy lootboxes are getting banned?

holy … you said what i said in other posts but a million times better.

1 Like

Oh, thank you xD

Maybe I somehow linked with your brain and you psychically sent it to me?

Honestly, out of all the games out there that have Mico-Transactions, Overwatch is by far the one that least shoves it in your face. The game gives more than enough time for the average player to EARN them to get a few nice skins. And its not like you don’t know when the events are coming they have been the same for years, just save your credits between events. And they are JUST cosmetics.

Loot boxes are, quite simply, an unethical gambling practice designed to make more money by selling people skins they don’t want in the process of getting the one they do. If, instead of being the sole means of purchasing skins, they were offered as a supplement to direct sale - say each legendary skin costs $15 and on average you get them for $5-10 each via lootboxes at the expense of not getting to choose the one you want - I would see them more favorably.

ha, no that’s silly supernatural hogwash.

we just seem to know that regulation can be heavy handed or not effective. ala the pokemon thing removing minigames … that had no real money involved.

then again Loot boxes and some monitization practices are down right… preditory. … or at least anti consumer. that’s not nice either.

i mean how can one regulate athing with out infringing on someone’s liberty to do a thing even if it’s “not in their own best interest”…? I’m sure that there’s a good way for all people to be well informed while also respecting their autonomy.

i hope… :frowning:

What you seem to miss is that most people have busy work schedules, disabilities and other health issues that may not even allow them to play the game long enough to grind up that currency they want (I would know, I have spine problems so I can’t play long at all) It’s tough because you aren’t even guaranteed "in game currency"every time you level up because again, it’s up to chance to see if you even get it leaving us to buy lootboxes.

true but even with those changes you’d still have the gambling aspect.
and you don’t even get money back with this kind of gambling.

that said, if there’s a ban. then i fear the problem could get worse. when countries ban ciggerettes and alcohol problem and use of them SKYROCKETS.

you do realize games and gambling subconsciously entices people to buy stuff right? even colors affect people to make them more likely to buy or do something. They even try to maximize this effect to further get people to buy stuff. A/B testing is a big one for it.

Little kids are even less likely to understand this and spend more money on it. Fortnite is worse for this than OW but OW still does it. If it was a rated M game and little kids wouldnt play it sure go for it.

So dont baby proof anything bc babies should understand not to get hurt?
Don’t put warning labels or instructions for medication or equipment bc people should inherently understand everything?
Let companies manipulate people bc people should understand neuroscience completely and realize that the company is trying to change how they think?

For starters I said it was a trend for all game companies. As in, all game companies have had their stocks drop a bit.

As for Activision Blizzard it has been falling since October. A full month before Blizzcon.

h ttps://media.ycharts.com/charts/7ec36df9701898f5b991ac189c0ae637.png

As you can see they were dropping before Blizzcon as that is just the month of October. Did Blizzcon help? Nope but they weren’t exactly breaking through the ceiling in terms of their stock prices.

Because, gotta find something to demonize in this day and age, even if it makes absolutely no sense, has no point, and just makes the overall end product worse. Apparently for Overwatch it’s not having LGBT enough characters for the snowflakes and somehow encouraging gambling through a simple game mechanic because people have no impulse control.

You’re absolutely right. Companies aggressive use of microtransactions have been terrible as we’ve seen game devs purposely make their games more grindy and generally unfun to play to push gamble boxes. Devs have been purposely making the end product worse to sell the fix.

blizzard/activision are a business first…remember that…

they will NOT lost money over this lootbox thing…be careful what you wish for

I mean that makes sense in games where the lootbox products actually tangibly give you an edge in the game like in CoD where anymore there are just outright better guns in them, but it makes zero sense in games where the product is entirely cosmetic or something like an XP booster.

Anybody taking issue with something like that is someone who hasn’t fully mentally developed to take a second and think about their actions before they try to throw money at them, and I think there are bigger concerns they should address than trying to say it’s the companies fault that they’re an incompetent manchild.

Perhaps the mobile game bubble will burst altogether. I have to say I wouldn’t complain. A lot of these shady practices began in the mobile market (and frankly should have stayed there, though it was inevitable that console and PC publishers would want to chase that golden goose themselves).

You would be right if you weren’t wrong honestly. We’ve already seen on this forum complaints from people from Belgium complaining about how grindy the game feels without lootboxes. Even if it’s “just cosmetics” the developers actively make the progression worse to entice you to buy lootboxes.

A. Nothing about what you said makes anything I said wrong. B. Making the game a grind does not equate to encouraging gambling. C. The game really isn’t even that much of a grind considering the scope of the content available. The game is a “grind” because it’s intended to be playable for years and still have something to still go for because their development cycle is really slow but they’re still continuing to support the game. What would there be to play for if you could get max level and every time in the game in a couple months? What’s to keep you coming back in the content drought between events/character releases?

None of these are some practice to demonize. It’s a plan for the longevity of the game.

You have to see the big picture. This goes beyond Overwatch.

You may be too young, but I remember when everything in the game was actually unlocked via game-play progression.

Saying “You don’t have to buy them. No negative impact” ignores the people these practices prey on. There are people addicted to buying lootboxes or people who are willing to keep buying them until they get their desired cosmetic. This practice is harmful as a whole. You have to see that.

These are harmful for the industry and I welcome the day lootboxes are completely banned. I have never bought one and I play enough to have every cosmetic I want, but, despite this, I understand how terrible lootboxes really are.

You’re completely blind if you actually think this

The game is grind lol. You’re so removed from the truth it hurts.

You immediately contradict yourself. Wow

This may be a foreign concept to you, if it is I’m sorry, but people usually come back to games because they are fun to play. If you need to hold cosmetic content hostage just to get people to play your game, then you need to look in the mirror and consider that your game may not be that good.

… the longevity of the game necessarily depends on exploiting the tendencies of some of their customers…
And you are defending it

Do you work in the industry? Is your well-being necessarily dependent on exploiting people? I cannot see how you can hold this position, honestly.

If a game is more grindy and there is an option to skip it the very fact that someone can save time and just get the reward is incentive enough for a very large number of players to spend money be it for cosmetics or gameplay buffs.

The game is a grind because they do want you playing for a long time yes but its not untrue that the grind serves more than one purpose having a carrot to chase is great for people who want to chase it but taking into account people having different amounts of time to play any games landscape changes some people get items through grinding and people who don’t want to wait just spend till they have them or spend to get em day one.

Honestly what keeps people coming back is the gameplay I can’t say that with too much authority but in the scope I get to see daily the new content isn’t why I keep coming back or friends or pubs it the core game of objective shooter.

People demonize Lootboxes because for every person who has the ability to not spend loads of cash on em there is someone who will. The documented manipulation of peoples brain to addict them to spending cash isn’t great in the eyes of many call em weak willed or whatever but its a problem to try and take advantage of people.

No you’re just the type to find meaning that isn’t there in simple actions and try to blame your problems on someone else instead of taking any responsiblity for them.

It’s really not. Take a look at what max level is supposed to be. We’re only just now getting Diamond borders but they’re still supporting this level of progression, meaning it’s fully intended. The game’s content is not meant to be burnt through immediately.

Didn’t at all, but sure just make something up. Having a lot of content =/= the game is a grind. Nothing about the game forces you to unlock everything, that’s purely your own objective. Can I say that Skyrim “is such a grind” because I have to play it multiple times if I want to get every achievement? That’s literally the same thing you’re saying here, you’re imposing a long-term goal on yourself and expecting it immediately and saying it’s the game developer’s fault for making it take so long.

People come back to games because they’re fun for a couple months. Then they pick up something new that has come out instead. Cosmetics and other progressions are what keep people coming back.

It really doesn’t, at all. Again, enforcing your own meaning that isn’t even there. If they were trying to exploit you, they wouldn’t offer cosmetics for anything but paid routes.

Do you “work” on Twitter making SJW tweets about how the world is so against you and everything anyone does that doesn’t directly benefit you is evil and malicious? Any negative impact someones’ actions may have were clearly completely intentional and what they wanted from the start?

Give yourself a history lesson and brush up on this thing called the butterfly effect. I’m pretty sure you’ll think the butterfly is a cold-hearted villain.

And that’s a choice to pay for the saved time. Not the game company saying “GAMBLE!” If you can’t control yourself that’s your own problem, not theirs. You remember being a kid and things would have to be babyproofed around the house because you were too stupid not to hurt yourself? But then eventually when you got a little smarter they took the babyproofing off? Yeah. You’re just asking to keep your entire life babyproofed. You just want to stay stupid instead of ever developing a functioning psyche.

Yep. And that’s a choice you can make. Why SHOULD you get all the items in less time than someone who actually invests the time? Why is it more important that you get your “carrot” than to be fair to everyone else who just played along and got it from their own hard work?

To some degree, yes. I’d argue it’s partially because we haven’t had anything else that was actually good to fill the same sort of niche Overwatch does. Heck, Destiny 2 was given out for free because it was doing so poorly.

Except again, no manipulation. This is about as much “manipulation” as if I put a loaded handgun on a table, didn’t say anything, and you just shot yourself.