Why are alt accounts allowed again?

Resetting your rank, so you could potentially show up as a Gold or below, and curbstomp people on your way back to whatever rank you’re sad in = The biggest problem in this game, that is completely detrimental. Your logic = I get to buy a game a 2nd time, because I’m sad in X rank. Your logic isn’t logic, it’s based on feelings, which can’t be logic, since you can’t hang in your own rank.

If I have to deal with lvl 25s curb stomping me and my team because they did what I described above, I become affected by it, which gives me authority to have an opinion on it.

1 Like

Of course I can, thats usualy not a reason for creating smurfs. You obviously dont know why people smurf. I explained you that your logic was wrong as you cannot compare different games. Look at similar games with ranks as Overwatch is, people do buy alt accounts there too.

Not this guy! This guy is fiscally responsible! :wink:

I doubt the OP is still around. 2 year old thread. 10 month necro.

Either way, there’s more current threads on this topic. Nothing’s changed.

Still relevant today. And now I’m curious to see how many more posts we can add to it.

1 Like

This has destroyed competitive play in Overwatch. Thanks for nothing Blizzard, F your OW2, battlefield has more integrity than this. You can literally tell when the game is on sale by all the inordinately unbalanced matches all of a sudden.

The funniest bit is if you manage to turn the tide on these idiots they leave, all together - lol

1 Like

Hmmm, what was I doing in 2018 when this was posted…definitely not playing Overwatch.

I think it would interest the author to know that all ranked competitive Overwatch matches are handicapped with Match Making Rating. This is the primary driver of Smurfing behaviour (buying alt accounts), which Blizzard tacitly encourages for revenue generation.

More information:

1 Like

Let me my thousand hour mercy otp self play mcree in diamond and I bet my team would beg to differ…yes I know rein is about to shatter, yes I know u have grav, yes I see you phara, yes I know the mercy wants to rez, but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna roll or do well in the dps spot of anything…im pretty sure I’m like a bronze to silver dps. And if I play anything other than mercy in the support role im probably like low to mid gold.

Necrod a useless thread.

Alts are not smurfs

Alts do not necessarily derank.

Alts are fine

Get over it

1 Like

Theres no way to stop it really, that’s why… You can REDUCE it by making people pay for the game… Wait till OW2 comes out and PVP goes F2P, then you’ll know what real smurfing is haha.

Don’t have to wait til OW2 if you play on console since smurf/alt/whatever you want to call them accounts are already free to make there.

I moved to PC a couple weeks ago, I do not regret this decision. Not because of smurfs just… Everything :smiley: Got to admit though I didn’t have a noticeable smurf problem when I was there…

1 Like

A high-integrity competitive system would not have alts.
You can play with friends or practice new stuff in non-comp modes.

There are zero valid reasons to allow alts into comp, except for money.
And there are zero integrity-driven arguments to having alts.
Alts monotonically decrease ladder integrity. They throw off the count and distribution of players % by skill.

Another redundant feature, just like MMR. Zero reason for MMR unless to handicap players by rigging their matches.

1 Like

They have nothing to do with each other

Nope.

You can be willfully ignorant of the reasons people buy alts, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

I wont bother, though, since you’re so obviously willfully ignorant

1 Like

The motives for alt accounts don’t matter. The ranking system pays out by % players by skill. The multi-count/existence of multiple accounts per player (alts) degrades the integrity of this pdf. You end up with the wrong/incorrect mapping (accounts by rank not players by skill).

The more alts exist, the less SR matters.
This should have been easy math, even for you.

I started playing OW last season and got middle silver in placements matches for basically all roles. As a newbie, I played comps lot and started to drop to bronze. For example, in DPS I played Pharah a lot as it reminds me those good old rocket launcher days in Quake (and yes, I am an old fart too :smiley: ) but without Mercy and lack of good flying skills, didn’t do too much damage or at least not enough to win games. Ended up to bronze…

In this season, I am around SR 1000 and, as a solo player most of the time, feels like I could play better but it is really hard to climb up as the game level varies so much in this poorest bronze level. I just bought an alt to see if I really suck that much or if I can get silver or something again after 25 level. Then I can try to stay there with my better knowledge of the game, like play Pharah better or use Soldier/Reaper/Bastion with maps better suitable for those roles.

So what is the game browser for?

Tell me? I don’t get what you mean so most likely I don’t know :smiley:

Its called unranked to GM educational for streamers (Account boosting for money in my opinion). Just watch Samito or Shock or other streamers on Twitch.

I think what will probably (and unfortunately) happen is, if they are serious about the Competitive aspect of the game they will either have to set an account hours threshold that is much greater (at 200 hours minimum) or Request for a State Issued ID when it comes to Competitive play. Which could even require a competitive play account.

I don’t like this AT ALL. But with the way people ABUSE the system so much. It is unreal.

I don’t take Quickplay serious. But when it comes down to Competitive. I work at it, I take it serious and I work for the win. I help the team and work for the goal of WINNING. Yet so many people enter the mode just to TROLL and disrupt the game, all for some attempts of Youtube footage and at the expense of others time and efforts.

Yesterday I had this MEI just CONSTANTLY icewalling us into spawn and that is what they kept doing. That account had 26-30 HOURS of gameplay. That was it. And that wasn’t even the last of them that was low hours accounts GRIEFING their own team.