Why am I being penalized for DC in comp?

Make it skill based like in any other esport. Anyone can make it to GM purely by getting matched with the right people.

they are not able to tell the difference when somebody leaves a game or DCs

Unfortunately your internet connection is not in the hands of Blizzardā€™s hands either, so from their perspective they have to set a policy that is going to benefit the majority of the community.

All disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. In other words they canā€™t tell when a player does this:

You can learn about this policy here:

Jeff Kaplan has specifically stated:

Source: Overwatch Forums

To clarify on this, remember if you see the message, ā€œLost Connection to the Serverā€ in the title screen or the message ā€œFailed to Connect to Serverā€ in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that donā€™t disconnect your computer from the Internet. Only the message ā€œServer Closed due to an unexpected errorā€ is a crash on the server end and should result in no penalty or loss of SR (and usually restarts the match with all players on a different map).

Blizzard does not know your specific story though. Besides this is why the penalty is only 10 minutes long and the SR is easily recovered through consistent play once your disconnection issues are resolved.

Exactly. We are all responsible for our choices.

To conclude, I do wish to point out that even in a situation of playing in a college/university network (which I STRONGLY do not recommend in general), you can often find out where an why a disconnection is occuring by running a WinMTR test. The information from that test can often pinpoint common issues.

That being said, a large-scale local area network such as that of College Dormitories are very subjected to high amount of high network traffic, interference, security firewalls, and other factors common to cause disconnections. I often recommend if possible, see if a LAN cafe is available in your area or visit back home (if you live in the same town locally) to play when you have free time.

I got pulled out of RANk because a LARGE majority of DCā€™ers from 2 seasons ago. TBH it doesnā€™t feel too good to drop that fast. I was just on the edge of Gold, slightly above and played in there for most of my seasons. I never thought I would see what Silverā€™s ELO ā€œhellā€ was. until I was put into it from DCā€™ers. crawling out of that mess is NOT something fun and I am still working my way OUT of the DCā€™ers and rage-quits from Competitive play in Silver.

I kinda wish Blizzard would take the initiative for an OFFICIAL message screen that displays for anyone chosing the mode, NOT to play on Wifi :wink: .

I also blame windows 10 forced updates for alot of what causes Dcā€™s too. So yeahā€¦ Its a rough dealā€¦