Who is the Pompadour Yakuza?

This is a pretty left field character and all, but I still kinda wonder this (aside from Hero 31).

He’s been recycled quite a bit, and I’ve just been really curious. Mostly because I 100% endorse pompadours.

3 Likes

In Dragons he had no weapon but reached for the phone in attempt to call for help. In Lego his phone appears to show graphs. He appears to be an assistant to someone but the question is to whom?

With Genji severely injured/assumed dead and Hanzo abandoning the clan in his despair, could this “pompadour” Shimada clansman be working for a mystery Shimada leader? :thinking:

2 Likes

One thing is for certain… He either A. Doesn’t tolerate discrimination towards omnics… or B. Doesn’t tolerate people who dislike ramen.

I can stand behind a character with those convictions.

2 Likes

Man, Zarya’s a bit of a jerk isn’t she.

See, but that is immediately a good character to character dialogue.

Pompadour, “You still rude to omnics?”
Zarya, “You know only half of story.”
Pompadour, “Soh (Japanese for “Right/Yes”), over noodles…”

Hanzo Killing Pompadour:
Hanzo, “Put your phone away!”

Pretty obvious this is our next hero. Animations, comic appearances, merch, and obvious interactions. :rofl:

He was pretty much a nobody in the Dragons short. Just some guy who was the “comic relief” by running into a bell. Apparently, a lot of fans found him funny and so they made him have another appearance in the comic.

Ironically, he became quite big and like a staple NPC character for Overwatch.

I’d imagine the sweet pompadour has something to do with it.

He’s doing Elvis and Japanese Yanki proud.

However, are there any other reoccurring random characters?

Not that left field. There is a style of fashion in Japan called Yankii which is basically emulating American fashion, circa 1950s/60s. It’s the equivalent of a Rockabilly in the US.

Lol, yeah. It was the most fantastic thing to see (not super common, but not rare) when I went to Japan.

Still, I think it’s amusing that he is a reoccurring character. I’d imagine it’s a combination of fan and company favorite.

I’d really just say left field that the character shows up again for having no significance.