When you bought this game 3 years ago

Used to be great. Then they started balncing around gender and stuff. Like get rid of Sombra, Brig, Widow

I thought I’d be in for a good ride and some exciting things, not an abusive relationship. :smirk:

3 Likes

I’m honestly torn on this subject. On the one hand, I expected more content than what we have. I was hoping to see a new hero closer to every 2-3 months rather than the 4 month rotation we have now.

On the other hand, having played WoW since Vanilla up until about two months after BfA release… The content and balancing debacle in OW is pretty much par for Blizzard. While I’ve loved Blizzard immensely since discovering the original Diablo in a garage sale then learning of Diablo 2 a year later, they are honestly a terrible company.

WoW has been plagued with poor balancing decisions since the earliest days. Diablo 3 was a complete and utter mess and wasn’t even remotely fixed until Reaper of Souls released. HoTs was mismanaged from day one.

OW is pretty much a standard game for Blizzard at this point. The balance patches come slow and very rarely actually hit the actual issues. Almost every new hero has been released in a broken state, whether that was bugs or sheer power.

I still play OW for a bit every month or so, and as long as I keep reminding myself that it’s a standard Blizzard game I don’t get too disappointed… but IMO Blizzard is still trying to ride of the success stories of D2, Warcraft 3 and the initial peak of WoW. It feels like they think that their reputation is enough to make a game good.

Maybe Activision has a lot to do with the decline of Blizzard in recent years. I never really paid attention to when the acquisition happened but the Blizzard of old, making amazing games that could be enjoyed over a decade later, is dead.

Now we have the Blizzard of mediocrity that is little more than a pale shadow of the gaming behemoth it once was.

no not really it was pretty much clear i bought a multiplayer only game with 3-4 hero releases a year and the occasional maps

i didn’t even expect any events until the summer games hit the first time

i did expect analysis tools to come faster though, proper replays and spectator modes, post game stats etc.

I expected a lot more heroes and maps on the year 2.
I expected a lot more balance patch at the start of year 1.

We will begin year 3 soon and this game seems like in autopilot and a waste of time has a main FPS.

For me now it’s :

• install the game,
  • do 10 placements games when new season about whatever mode pops out
  • uninstall and never touch the game again until next season.

I don’t even care about events since at least a year.

In the 2 hours you take to do all 10 matchs, you see the one new map and/or one new hero that was released.
Since Blizz don’t want to make more complex heroes(i said complex not high skill not the same) there is no motivation to stay and play the game anymore.

Making the game less motivating to play decrease the overall level in the game wich give even less motivation to stay.

If they remove comp points i will not even bother install the game anymore since the added content take WAY TOO MUCH time to be added since the only things that can be added worth your time, is new heroes with gameplay you like.

I loved the open beta so I bought it and absolutely got my money’s worth. Getting entertained for hundreds of hours for this price is a very good deal even if I don’t really like the games current state. If they make another game where even at an early stage I can already enjoy it, I will buy it. If I feel like it is not compelted I will hold off on it and see where it goes. Buying something with expectations that it will get better in the future is silly in my opinion.

I really didn’t have a proper gaming PC since the BF3 rig, by then i was playing games at highest quality at only 720p, and only upgraded when games started coming out where even 720p was hiccuping. So by the time i upgraded and got Overwatch as my first game for it (Hence, it was dubbed, the Overwatch Rig) it had already been a year since it launched and the hype had died down. So i never really experienced the fanfare.

The rest of my clan had gone to World of Tanks so i’m here by myself.

Expectations? I was really hoping there would be a clan system so i can establish a clan branch and build up members here too.

I kept wanting to like Overwatch. I really did. I returned constantly and played frequently to show that I care. I talk crap about it but only in love. Not anymore though. I expected more. I felt that by the third year we’d have twice the number of heroes since launch. That is not the case whatsoever. Content is dry and nonexistent. I tried my best to address my issues with this game with the community but I’ve been met with _git gud_™ and was buried under less constructive posts. Ironically, everything I said that would happen has happened and now everyone is wallowing in this filth.

How did I feel about Overwatch? It was cool and fun because it was new but as players learned how to play the game and terrible balance decisions are made all the cracks and holes begin to show. I’ll go ahead and say that I think the game is fundamentally flawed right from the start.
Healing is far too accessible. That is a result of tanks being too fat. Tanks being too fat in conjuncture with healing being too accessible made DPS worthless. If DPS get buffed then a power creep will over take the game as Reaper apparently has. So how would Blizzard respond to that? Honestly I don’t know. I haven’t followed this game’s statistics lately because quite frankly I don’t care anymore, but I’m sure you understand what I’m saying. If it’s not one thing it’s another. The design and balance philosophy is just pure garbage or nonexistent. Probably the latter. For a game designed around counters, there’s a lot of counterplay elements missing.

What infuriates me the most is that since launch, Overwatch has ruined gaming for the following two years. Quite a number of phenomenal games were released in 2016 and 2017 but were overshadowed by Overwatch, one of the most shallow and badly designed games I’ve had the displeasure of playing. Gigantic, LawBreakers, and a few others whose names don’t come to mind… A lot of these fixed many issues that exist in Overwatch, and unfortunately these games met an unjustified demise because oVeRwAtCh ClOnE™ and this community’s moronic meme culture.

TL;DR: This game aged badly, is badly designed, and I hate it. I wish other games that died because of Overwatch still existed.

Lastly, I want to say a couple things for people to think about. Accessibility is overrated. Just because it’s in the game doesn’t mean it’s well designed. Player expression is more important than what developers envisioned.

I expected way more lore, as other’s had said. And way more PVE modes, more events occurring in the game to help weave the story along.

They were good with it at first, but the lack of updates staggered, and the same content rehashed. I loved the side story of Junkenstein, but when it was pushed back out with little change it was like a slap in the face.

That’s where my disappointment came from. The whole appeal to Overwatch was that it’s not only a game, but it’s an ongoing story you can be apart of.

in 3 years I expected far more characters so that we didn’t have to rely on a single pick in order to fight against an entire meta.

Sounds a lot like my first marriage.

I will say that I’ve definitely gotten my money out of it. I’m nearing 1000 hours. I can’t say I’ve put that much time into other games.

I don’t think about games too much (or at least their new features) when I’m not on. I just play what’s in front of me and enjoy it (and if I don’t, i log off).

It’s Blizzard, and especially with it being on consoles, I expected loooong, sloooow updates, and unfortunately thanks to Blizzard’s update record before Overwatch I also expected pretty little updates when they did eventually come

And hey that’s what happened

I was hoping there would be more interesting updates to the game beyond recycled events and skins. I knew it being an fps and not a moba meant they wouldn’t churn out maps and characters that fast but I didn’t think it would be as slow as about 3 hero’s and maps a year. It seems like all the money that should be going to actual game development is just being shoveled into OWL

I was excited to see all the new diverse heroes, yet here we are getting plain heroes like brig and ashe once a year.

When I bought the game 3 years ago, I didn’t care too much about future content. I thought the game was perfect as is. I had so many heroes to try that I wasn’t too concerned about new ones.

Obviously now I want more, but I still think the game is just as amazing as I did 3 years ago.

I assumed there would be a ton more lore and media. They released so much around launch that I expected it to stay at that rate or a little slower.

The disappointment started in March 2016. I was at the Coca Cola / Overwatch Launch Event and it was just awful and kicked out money. Even that far back they promised things that never came true. But i was too hyped back then to resent them.

Looks like Geoff answered your claims.

Turns out you’re full of it.