When did Overwatch become more frustrating for you and less fun?

Overwatch is not in a good state right now. I think it’s been on a downward trend for a while, but the big breaking point is Brigitte’s release. She had way too much of a negative impact on the game, so that spoiled things for quite a while.

And then the Symm deletion came and my favourite character was tossed in the trash can, which just… Well…

Game’s just in an awful state, really. Devs are flailing about without a clue.

1 Like

It went really south when the pro gaming league (OWL) took focus. So many bad balance changes stem from that thing.

3 Likes

i just asked the questions for the people who felt like this ^^ if it doesnt applies, then the questions werent necessarily meant for you. it wasnt stated as a fact, but as an opinion and you’re entitled to your own opinion as well! im very happy that you still find the game to be fun!! that’s great and i hope i will enjoy it as much as i used to again sometime soon. have a lovely day!

I’m right there with you man, I’d say it started being genuinely frustrating close to a solid 80% of the time for at least the last 6 months, if not more. The game is constantly going on sale so there’s just no attachment to accounts, people do literally whatever they want all the time- no one is even attempting to really play the game anymore, and when you’re lucky enough to get a team that is trying there’s a smurf on the enemy team to stomp all over you or the players in your group are just not at the same level and not as like an insulting way but as in a ‘wow I remember when I used to play at that choke there back when I was learning the game, I wonder why three of my teammates are up there. Oh, because that’s where they usually play, because that’s the level they’re still at’ way. And those are big gaps, like, standing past the bridge on Eichenvald first point. So either my matchmaker is regularly putting me with tons of trolls, or there aren’t enough players to consistently give me players that are at ‘similar levels’ of gameplay experience. I have no idea what the matchmaker is doing lately, if they tweaked it or what, but it has been horrible lately. I don’t want to blame players who are better or worse than I am, I just want to play with people who are roughly at my level, that’s it! I don’t think that’s asking for the sun and the moon here.

2 Likes

It really does feel like there’s no more ‘carry edge’. I remember there was a time when I definitely was not smurfing, but if I worked really hard and got into a good groove I could hard carry with Tracer or Symmetra. They were just characters I played really really well for windows of time (yay autism hyperfocus activate!) but these days no matter how good I am at any character, if I have even just a mediocre team it honestly doesn’t matter. No amount of me doing amazing seems to matter because ultimately the enemy can swap to hard counters or all tanks and overwhelm me.

2 Likes

Removal of mass rez resulted in a loss of a very specific check of balance against most heroes and ult combos.

Ever since that, the problems began and got worse.

5 Likes

Definitely when Brigitte was introduced. Moira gave me a headache but so long as you don’t 1v1 the crazed scientist it got better. Brig was just bad decision after bad decision in game design and balance (ffs she doesn’t even DO the job she was originally designed for; countering flankers).

The real p!ss in my cheerios and calling it milk moment was putting hack interrupt on Sombra when she had finally been buffed into being decent. This is an FPS. You’re gonna tell me that, apart from Doomfist, people are going to be wrecked by Sombra when you sneeze on her and she dies or has to translocate out? When her gun does so little damage it’s basically a pea shooter? Might as well just make her a support already.

And then I found out that nerf was because the OWL cried to Daddy Jeff about her being too OP when their players were finally being decently countered.

This game being catered to pros and top500, I have some shocking news for you: not everyone can BE pros or top500,
so why exactly is the rest of the playerbase being made to suffer because of the balancing around them?

1 Like

Season 6. That bad season, just after even worse one, the 5th, where the toxicity skyrocketed that everyone was whining about it on socials and when majority of people left the game.