What's Wrong With The Ranking System. (And How To Fix It)

Apex implements the rank protection and its…its nice…until youre trying to climb and you get rank protected scr00by d00bie dopes messing around cause they cant drop any further…

1 Like

This is actually NOT A BAD IDEA. H*ll I would go even further: no need for 5 victories. If you make it to next rank you stay there until you progress. Add option to go down to any rank chosen if wanted (this I am a bit hesitating).

True the military comparison but try to progress there when the progress is tied to group outcome of 6 randomly chosen individuals from large group for everything you do in 30 min intervals. If that is how my daily work would be built I couldn’t do jackshtake and would be mentally destroyed in 2h.

3 Likes

It’s not really though. At the end of the day, what determines how much SR you gain/lose, is your own performance. If you are preforming well, not only should you win more games, but even in losses, you’ll lose less SR. Which will lead to a climb in spite of whatever everyone else is doing.

2 Likes

It largely depends on who your opponents are. If you do well against a team you are supposed to beat, you gain less SR. The problem is the outliers with reference to team averages. If even one player is not playing up (or down) to the standard of the match, then the whole thing gets screwed up and everyone else’s SR is wrongly adjusted.

1 Like

Nope, not how it works. Your PBSR is largely calculated based off of your performance with whatever heros you play against the performance of all others players of that hero at that rank. The players on your team, and players on the enemy team, are not accounted for, and no team is ‘supposed’ to beat the other. The matchmaking system attempts to build even matches where each team has an equal chance of winning.

Not viable.

Placements are piss poor. Utter noobs get placed 2200 and drop to 700 sr, or lower, in some cases.

Those people need to drop ASAP.

But this is determined mostly by other factors. Like losing 2 games with nice performance by yourself and winning 1 game with same performance results in drop in SR that you cannot influence enough. Majority of match outcome comes from somewhere else than your own performance and same works long term.

I would guess that system somehow is calculating results not only based on your performance as raw stats, but how well you played against certain players.

I dont think so, because you as individual can influence outcome in majority of games.

Shadow :slight_smile: …once again we can agree to disagree <3

1 Like

How can you disagree with that statement when top player can maintain over 80% winrate when he is playing on alt? Hell even I can have 90% winrate from bronze to gold and i am low dia peak.

Some games are unwinnable, I know, but majority will be lost because you did mistakes or didnt carry hard enough.

Yes, I mentioned the hard carries and it is true that good players contribute more than the 17% (1/6). To that I can agree, but still the most of the match outcome when we take all the games played i.e. long term as well (if you wanna go that way) comes from other players and not a single player. These 80%+ win rate guys represent like what, 1-5% from player base?

My point was that it can be done, every player can do it. Not all of them obviously will. If you are better than others, you will incluence more games.

1 Like

That I can agree 100%

1 Like

The ranking system sucks to be honest. You can play lights out and still lose 20-30 SR.

1 Like

Well of course SR would drop. You lost 66% of the games. The point is that if you preformed well in all those games, and won the fourth playing similarly well, you’d be at a higher SR than you started. i.e. You got a 50% win rate over the 4 matches, yet you still climbed.

I hate this notion of carrying. It’s a myth. Cuz if a 5v6 is seen as an idiotic engagement doomed to failure if you don’t wait to regroup, then how can ANY one hero role be expected to 1v6 and make up for 1-5 deadweights feeding? If that’s possible, then neither the game nor that hero is balanced AT ALL. (And we can be sure a patch is soon to follow)

If you mean carrying your 1/6th share of the work, that’s best done when everyone’s actually trying to win. Whether they are GM or fresh outta bronze, if one person on your team is throwing, your attempt to climb is shot. You have to be far better that what you already are to make up for that, and that’s not who I mean. I’m talking about training up the rookie in each tier, those at the bottom who need to practice the skills to get better, but the number the game cares about most is Win Vs Loss.

Yes, smurfs care about easy wins more than a fair struggle, but I don’t hate them for the easy wins as much as I HATE the deliberate losses. Locking the bottom would remove the need for them to lose games, which is precisely antithetical to their teammates getting better. Now they would only have to win their games, which would allow more honest, hardworking players every opportunity to surf past them without being dragged down.

Plus, if you allow players the option to stay/leave a certain tier, then this would itself balance out. I’d love to see more games in top-gold where 12 3000-SR fakers all group up with each other and it ends up a fair matchup anyway. This would have the effect of filtering players into sub-tiers within the ranks; The top players desperate to win and move up, and the bottom rookies practicing the new tactics of that tier.

And if you really think “staying good as you are” is so important, this would solve that too. The worst players of each tier would only be grouped with other rock-bottom players of that tier, comparing low MMR instead of only SR. Allowing the dirt to settle would allow the talented to rise, or at least not inhibit them. Top-tier would be a bunch of tryhard experts and Smurfs who would HELP their teammates win, and the bottom would be all the new, unrefined rookies and the boosted noobs who can’t cut it and lose every game til they either figure it out or give up and stop playing their stolen pre-leveled account. Gone would be the unnecessary loss of a Smurf who COULD have helped you win but chose to shoot you all in the foot for his own whims.

2 Likes

Q: what happens when smurfs who place in bronze keep stomping over and over again but choose not to move on to silver?

A: Nobody in bronze who should be in silver will ever get to silver, because to get to silver they have to beat plats or diamonds or whatever.

If you thought it was hard to climb before, you’re consolidating a “smurf barrier” at the top of every tier that acts as a glass ceiling.

It’s good that you’re trying to figure this out, but you’re overlooking the most important fact of competitive play: that it is handicapped with matchmaking rating. Any discussion of fixing competitive play should include the removal of handicapping/MMR. For more info, please see my thread on the subject:

2 Likes