What was your reaction when you realized you can't play OW2?

I finally got on to find out what this phone problem was and realized my phone was already on the account and had to do nothing. Wasn’t much of one.

1 Like

This is a common suggestion but it is against TOS. You have to use a number that belongs to you.

didnt believe it assumed it was like any 2fa and there would be options so came to forums to discover the truth.
i was only really excited for the pve im too old for competitive shooters i was just going to have a quick look anyway so im not overly sad.

but now we have learnt a bit more i think we can work out why this is being done and what it means going forward.

the phone number going forward is what is going to have primarcy in proof of ownership, that why land lines and temp pre paid numbers no good each number change is a possible accoutn loss so supports going to need to verify quite strongly so they want to limit that to as few instances as possible.

all that would only be done if they saw the furure a certain way

I have boost mobile, no contract, unlimited everything, and my phone number works.

I highly doubt it’s cheaper than $25 a month lol

Think our lines are like $30 a month or something like that. Very comparable pricing.

Betrayed.

Bought the first game close to launch. Bought lootboxes. Watched the OW league. Spent hours in all different game modes. Watched all of the cinematics and trailers and tried to keep up with news the best I could. They spent all this time touting how inclusive OW2 would be since it’d be free to play. I didn’t mind needing to connect my phone to my account and yet here we are and they wont let me do the one thing they require me to do in order to play their damn game.

What’s worse? I can’t even play OW1. The game I spent time and actual money on. I was fine not being able to play OW1 anymore back when I thought I would have OW2 as the replacement. Now I just don’t get to play anything at all. Period.

Kinda defeats the purpose of the game being ‘FREE TO PLAY’ if I have to go out and pay for a potentially more expensive phone plan. And no, buying trash phones is not gonna fly either. They advertised a free-to-play game, i expect to play the damn game for free.

4 Likes

Not really?

For me it was cheaper.

I pay for gig speeds and there was a bundle bundle that essentially made my phone bill $10 a month with unlimited everything.

2 Likes

I still don’t know whether I will be able to.

I have a cheap prepaid phone (but not Cricket), and I haven’t tried to link it yet. I don’t really want to give Bliz my phone number (even if it does work), so I’m not going to try until they absolutely force it to launch the game, because I’m still sort of hoping they won’t require it (even though I know they will).

If, when I launch OW2 for the first time, they force me to link my phone, I will try then…and then I will find out whether my prepaid number will let me play OW2…

1 Like

There are also a lot of people that simply have an old phone number on their account and can’t change it without sending in a ticket, which takes ages. This should have been mentioned months ago, so people can actually get in game

1 Like

I will not buy any products from Overwatch League sponsors in the future if I am subjected to this kind of betrayal.

1 Like

Firstly I think its just for sharing accounts, not phone numbers

And if it was, how on earth would they be able to enforce it

The same thing I thought when CSGO added it to help with smurfs and cheaters.

Thank god.

Annoyed mostly, especially because my friends were excited to group up and play together. I really can’t do anything about it now and just accepted it at this point.

4 Likes

Heartbroken, disappointed, angry and sad.

I literally am going through the 5 stages of grief for a game this game I played 6 years ago, putting my time and love into. i got almost every skin, had over 50,000 credits saved, have over 9,000 BP (I was gonna get 3 golden guns) and i have rare legendary skins i bought with my money as well. i played this game a lot and the fact that i can’t enjoy this because i need to change my service provider sickens me. it really sickness me.

the first day i posted on here i wa so upset. i literally felt like crying, despite how dumb it sounds, that’s how much ow does mean to me. i was so livid. i have NEVER encountered such a thing and now my game is updating knowing i can’t play anymore. This isn’t a sequel, it’s a literal update that requires you to play. It is NOT free to play because i payed for the game ITS UPDATING ON. Sorry, but that is so messed up its not even remotely sane.

2 Likes

If you’re able, download the Talkatone app and pay a minimum of 0.99 cents to get verification texts from blizzard. You can use it for OW2.

3 Likes

i really REALLY want to, like i thought about it and im currently thinking about it now, but im scared because ive seen people warn me about numbers like this that are temporary. to know i might risk my account im gonna spend thousands of hours in and buy cosmetics on in ow2 for this app to stop providing me the number would be very painful. i have trust issues with apps THAT cheap because nothing is that cheap without a catch. it can’t be.

2 Likes

Bummed. Bought Splatoon 3 to take my mind off of it. Still illogically downloading every version of Overwatch I can on every console I own as if one of them will somehow magically forget it needs authentication.

If you put a decent amount of money into the game why not just switch plans? Since you can afford it.
Pick the cheapest one (that is a bang for ur buck as well) and you can switch pretty fast.

1 Like

ill be frank with you, i had befallen unfortunate financial circumstances not too long ago that needed me to not afford things as much as i could. it all changed within a moment and everything i knew fell apart. it happens these things. they come out of the blue and then you need to try to figure it out from there. it sucks because id give anything just to play this game… but the one thing i can’t give is a new plan atm. i have enough but not enough in a weird way.

2 Likes