What’s the difference between a Shogun and a Samurai?

Just asking for one of my future concepts, I want to make sure I’ve got my facts straight

Shogun is the boss, Samurai were minions.

To be more specific, the Shogun was the most powerful man in Japan for a long time, being the actual ruler of the nation while the Emperor was just a figurehead. He tended to be either the strongest warlord of the realm, or his son if he inherited it.

Samurai were the personal guards of lords (so they technically weren’t nobility themselves). They tended to be armed with a variety of weapons, including katanas (long swords), yari (spears), and naginata (halberds), and always with a shorter sword/dagger (I forget the name).

And as a bonus fun fact, Ashigaru were peasants who served the lords and were conscripted to fight for a period of time, typically outside the times of harvest, though this was basically true for most medieval societies.

6 Likes

Depends on the era your looking at.
But then a gain i am not so good in Japanese history. If you have any questions regarding german history just say somthing.

Part of a history lesson.

(honestly trust the ninja’s, not the untrust-worthy samurais)

2 Likes

The Shogun is basically the person in charge of the Samurai and the other Japanese forces. Even though the emperor was still there, at the time these roles were common, the emperor was more of a figurehead. Basically, a shogun is a Japanese military general

Meanwhile, a Samurai was a type of soldier. 'nuff said

Wouldn’t it be accurate to say that Samurai weren’t royalty rather than nobility? As the Samurai served as the equivalent of nobility, but as with ever strata, had their own tiers. (With lesser Samurai serving greater ones, akin to a knight to their feudal lord)

Samurais were back stabbing each other all the time in the beginning.

Well no because noble families existed, with actual titles and clans and such, the only royalty would have been the Emperor and his family. Not even the Shogun was considered royalty. But he was nobility. It’s a fine line.

The line is downright weird because if I recall correctly, pretty much everyone who wasn’t a peasant or royalty (save for those times in history where peasants were allowed to go Samurai, again, weird line) was considered Samurai.

Well, those outside of the palace anyway, because that was an entirely different ecosystem, purely reliant on the rest of Japan to even eat.

Ah, I’m not overly familiar with the caste system they used, I’ve been more focused on the military side of it.

Wakizashi?

Would it be fair to say the Emperor is king (albeit without any real power) and the shogun Dukes which owned large amounts of land and personal armies, with Samurai being knights (high ranking warriors with expensive resources poured into them like metal armour and decent weapons)?

1 Like

A shogun is a commander. A samurai is the shogun’s soldier.

Samurai were hired as a job. Shoguns ruled over others

A shotgun is a gun, it’s nothing like a Samurai… /s

I did actually think the title said shotgun for a second though!

Basically yeah. And yeah that’s the name of it.