What rank is considered above average?

Nope. I’m assuming that “in general, alts traverse towards equal to or lower SR than their mains” (A).

That is a very conservative and reasonable statement. Alts by their very nature are more disposable so they trend towards lower SR aka “rank”.

The other assumption, which I didn’t invoke for this argument, but you could make the case for it: “the ratio of alts-to-mains for a player is >= 1”. (B)

Degeneration of the normal pdf symmetry (and statements about average rank etc) follow from A and B. We haven’t included C and D and all the other stuff as well (rigging, no-resets, etc).

1 Like

Existence of alts and rigging and no-reset ladder conditions is FOUNDATIONAL to the question. (mmr as a possible definition of rank instead of sr, alts vs. mains as defining the distribution)

A discussion about “rank averages” needs to look at what rank means and what the ladder represents.

1 Like

that only makes sense for people who’s mains are higher than what they’ll place at on a freshie. given that alts place roughly in the middle of the ladder, and given how difficult you make it out to be to actually move your accounts rating in any meaningful way on a regular basis due to forced 50/50, it’s gonna require some serious playtime to push that alt account down to the point where it can fall below the mains sr.

i will just take the subtle hint that you do actually believe it’s not hard to move your accounts sr, that’s the logical conclusion
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

ill stop spamming the thread now as well :x

3 Likes

Rank is defined by an SR number, which every account has that participates in Competitive to the amount where a number is issued and is unrelated to MMR and matchmaking, as you’ve repeatedly claimed. Or are you calling yourself a liar?

3 Likes

But at first you said:

Which is why I clarified:

And to help elucidate the idea further I went into detail for the benefit of all (not just the OP, but nonetheless on topic).

It’s still hard to move. But it’s less effort to lower your SR than raise it. Which is why (A) holds. Main accounts, in general, are assumed to present less disposable gameplay and peak higher. It’s “easier” to move your alt lower. Overall this drifts the distribution into the shape I outlined earlier.

Any other questions for the prof before i go back to <500 queues?

1 Like

Yes, do you just normally try and bafflegab your way through discussions, or do you present hard data?

2 Likes

You mean data like this that is years and years old and doesn’t account for alts or rigging or no-resets?

No1 in the community-at-large has good data. So I prefer to reason it out on structural grounds. The idea the pdf is lognormal, positive skew, or multi-modal degen is just an informed guess, using mild assumptions.

1 Like

So you have no data, only theories. Interesting.

EDIT - An honest discussion works better if you don’t keep modifying your posts after publishing them without disclosing your edits.

2 Likes

It’s a direct byproduct of the assumptions (A) and (B) which I carefully outlined. Players have more alts than mains (A) and alts are easier to derank than uprank (B). Do you disagree with (A) and (B) do you have mathematical basis to refute them?

1 Like

I disagree with both, but since I’m not the one making the claim, it’s on the claimant to provide the mathematical basis for his claim.

2 Likes

Depends what you are playing on, console it is Diamond, on PC it is Plat. You are welcome.

1 Like

Suspend your arbitrary disbelief about about the mathematical result (C). i.e. the claim of asymetrical or multi-modal pdf disparity.

On what grounds do you disagree with the assumptions (A) and (B)?

If A and B were true, why would C be false?
You need to show something to disprove it.
Show something that explains why you claim it’s false.

1 Like

I disagree with A because we have no data showing how many people own alt accounts and with current systems, we cannot possibly know.

With B, I disagree because we have no proof which alt accounts are higher than main accounts and which are lower, and anecdotes are not data. It’s unknowable with the data collection systems we have.

Now, where’s your proof?

EDIT - changed the autocorrection “unprovoked” to “unknowable” for clarity.

2 Likes

Of course there is no data. There was declared when I said “I don’t”.

This is why everyone here has to use assumptions. Mine are extremely basic and conservative.

I repeat: if a player has an alt, that player will contribute >=1 alts:main ratio. That’s (A). For (B): Alts are by definition more disposable and less serious, so they will naturally drift to lower SR (in general) compared to the main. Higher skill is less frequent and maintainable than lower skill (effort based skill sieving). You will own or occupy more lower SR than higher SR for you as an account-holder than you as a player (if you have more than 1 account). The edge case: since we know at least one person has more than 1 account, we know this must be true.

A booster with 18 accounts all in GM we count the highest placed account as the “main” and the others as lower alts which again sour the distribution (case for multi-modal). A plat with 2-3 accounts less than plat again affects the skew.

These “assumptions” are more like primitive facts which are data-free.
And their direct result (C) is the normal pdf for player % by SR goes away and instead you have a degenerate looking pdf for number of accounts by “SR”.

So again, explain why you refute A and/or B. Now that I think of it, you might only need A to hold for C to be technically true. The existence of a single alt somewhere already disrupts the “players by % skill” statement.

Finally, assuming A,B, explain using math why C is not reachable. Thanks.

1 Like

Nah, you admitted you have no data, which is all I wanted. You’ve now shown the thread that you’re offering nothing useful to the argument and I’ll take my leave, since I don’t feel like trying to mathematically disprove an argument you’ve made on feelings.

Have a good night!

Right since you are both idiots as I said before in my other post ask me anything regarding ranking…I have been through the ringer on this…just stop fighting please…this is enough on this.

But you don’t have data either? Your “data” is for player% not accounts% and it is years out-of-date (and you didn’t even post the reference/source).

I’m using existence proofs. we don’t need data just the fact that alts are a thing.

that is a MUCH stronger and data-heavy statement to make, yet you haven’t provided anything recent or w.r.t. accounts not players.

my claim is based on distribution structure, your claim is based on raw data about a distribution that isn’t valid.

1 Like

Usually above average is diamond and good at the game is masters

1 Like

We don’t have newer data, and I don’t feel like pulling guesses from my fundament, so I’ll simply state that this is the last official data we have:

…and unlike other people, I don’t feel like making uneducated guesses based on feelings. And since again, you keep providing nothing relevant in the way of data, I’ll again wish you a good night and end this lack of discussion.

1 Like

The data you provided is years out-of-date and based on player% not accounts%. It’s not valid in fact it’s misleading.

What isn’t misleading: If a single alt exists the way I have defined it (A and B) then C is true. It’s a data-free argument based on existence proof.

You can’t talk about “playerbase” distribution when speaking about SR, and you can’t really talk about SR when speaking about skill (mmr).

Alts exist, corruption exists, and no-reset deteriorations exist. In the base case for n=1 we already know the noise effects on the pdf. Scale that out to whatever N you want, you already lose your claim about the pdf.

Data-free will always beat data-driven nonsense using the wrong metrics and out-of-date sources. We’re literally inducting for the set of any/all data.

1 Like