What Makes Up MMR?

[Here my observations, I have several accounts / partly distributed on different computers]

MMR only plays a role in matchmaking as long as other criteria are met. Among other things, this includes a strong player base for a region, within the rank in which a player is placed.

I believe that a cross-account control system is used to determine a trust score for a player, similar to Valve’s Anti-Cheating system. ( - YouTube )

With the Blizzard system, it seems that other criteria are also used to separate players. So you should never deliberately try to lose or do things you can be reported for.

For matchmaking it is only important that the values of team SR are near each other. Everything else can change considerably depending on the waiting time.

yes, a great deal. if middle brackets are clogged with high MMR players it matters a lot.

I was several times on alt accounts having expectionaly good stats. And I was still placed into normal games, with people who did belong in same SR as I had. 90% games was like this even when I dominated a lot of them. If I was on account with SR 1500, games felt like 1500 games, players dint have higher skill(based on their gameplay) as me, so how is that possible?

Again, I am deeply conviced that player cant have SR and MMR too far from each other. With exception of how decay worked above diamond before. But it was onjly like that because account already had set MMR before SR was going down.

this goes against Jeff’s words about the bronze to GM streamer. Within 15 games they knew what his actual MMR was. You’re suggesting his MMR was that of his current lower SR rank when Jeff’s words suggest it was near his main GM account. Why else would he word it “we knew what his actual MMR was” if his MMR on that account was in line with his SR position at the time?

When this happened exactly, was it before they removed big SR bonus for winning streaks? Where was he in game 15, which SR.

Do you have link? I know it was seagul, but i cant find it.

Any link where jeff is saying that?

the forum post link is dead.

https: //www. mmogames .com/gamenews/jeff-kaplan-outlines-stance-overwatch-smurfing/

No mention of SR, only that within 15 games his MMR matched his main account.

Yes but where was he on SR after 15 games? probably GM too :slight_smile:

when has that ever been the case? even with the old boosters for win streaks 15 games from let’s say 2800 after 10 games of placement.

you’re suggesting within 5 games he went from placement SR to GM?

yeah that sounds much more likely than the far more obvious, that MMR can be much higher than current SR.

Its just strange thats not my personal experience :slight_smile: And its hard to talk about something what happened like 2 years ago as we dont know many details about the case now.

EDIT: I actualy found the video. The stream, I was mistaken, it wasnt seagull, it was IDDQD. I watched his results and took some notes. So Jeff kaplan said they his alt matched his main acc MMR in 15 games? Not really :smiley:

After game 15 he was still at 1177 SR, so he had 1177 SR and GM MMR? How? when his next few games his opponents had ± same ranks as his team. It would be clearly visible every game that enemy team has a lot better people than his team. It would not be possible for smurfs to climb that fast if game trully would balance MMR for them on both sides.

so Jeff is lying then? or his MMR was in fact as good as his main account? which is it? if Jeff is telling the truth then MMR has zero to do with SR and, if this is true, you can have a high MMR and in fact be stuck at the moment in a much lower SR than you’re capable of playing in.

so which is it. is Jeff lying or does he know more than you do and you can in fact have a higher MMR than your SR?

I dont have original Jeff video about this so I cant tell more. I am not saying he was lying, he certainly know more about in games system than players, you and me, but it can be matter of wording really. Again, try to find the video where he is speaking about it is possible.

so they have a giant room full of MIT statisticians and a big lottery wheel drum, can’t really say much more, but I always try my best every game

it wasn’t a video, it was a forum post originally about smurfing being a problem.

you find it, i already found and linked to an article with his quote in it.

Hm it seems there was no video, right, it was only bn post wrote by keff kaplan and he indded said this:

We were able to watch his MMR internally and compare it against his “main” account. Within 15 games, the MMR’s were equal. I know there is a very bad perception of Smurfing. But the reality is, skilled players are moved rapidly out of lower skill situations.

But I dont udnerstand why he said that. His last sentence doesnt make sense as IDDQD was still in bronze after 15 games., playing with and against bronze and silver players.

so he had high MMR but it virtualy didnt do anything?

yes, exactly. MMR means nothing and here in this case which is an extreme example you’ve got a pro with a bronze Sr and a GM MMR.

Because Jeff’s post was NOT referring to IDDQD. That infamous Bronze-to-GM run that IDDQD tried to be educational about and then turned it into a meme just a few games in was halted because Blizzard told him to stop.

Also, Jeff’s post didn’t even say Bronze-to-GM. That would make no sense. Fresh-unranked-to-GM makes a lot more sense, and it only made sense back then because of the win-streak bonuses, which were nerfed to almost nothing now.

There has never been and will never be a Bronze SR but GM MMR because the ranking system and matchmaking never worked that way. The most divergence possible was Diamond SR (precisely at 3000) but GM MMR and that was strictly due to inactivity decay, and since matchmaking is solely done on MMR and not SR at all, decayed players would be playing in the exact same games with and against the same people had they not been decayed, and the MMR gains and losses for all 12 players in the game would have gone the usual.

1 Like

Kephrii going 10-0 on a fresh placement in season 3, SR 3901

Shadder2k going 9-0-1 (drawing the very first placement game), SR 3806

It wasn’t hard for GM players at the time to go from Unranked to GM in 15 games because of those winstreak bonuses. Now it takes much longer because those streak bonuses were heavily nerfed.

1 Like

why did they tell him to stop? if their system works as well as they claimed why wouldn’t he be in bronze facing off with GMs? if as you claim, a diamond 3000 SR which is decayed can still have a GM MMR than why can’t that extend lower? you have evidence that your statement is 100% factually true or are you just making stuff up?

Also, lets use your example which allows for 1000SR differential between SR and MMR. So a 2505 player could fall to 1505 and still have a 2505 MMR.

also, outside of tanking and the low number of players in that queue, how often do you see diamond players in GM games?

Because their system is working well. Just not in situation when someone throw down to bronze 500 on purpose.

and only in that case … right? but wait, supposedly the system accounts for that and since only MMR is used to make matches, why wasn’t this person put into proper games for his MMR?

if it is happening here, its happening in a LOT more places.