What is the story team doing?

And they presented players with quite a few stories. They’ve recently hired a new writer and it seems to me that they underestimated the demand for the lore and are probably working on creating something worthy… which takes time. Probably even more so if you’re one of the writers and read complaints of retcon etc.

Animated shorts require animators and novel-esque projects take a relatively long time. Just gotta be patient my dude!

Seriously. If a person really loves something, he or she will be doing it. I mean i love to draw, and i will be doing what i love, even if i have a test, i will find time. What im trying to say it that if ow cared about the lore it would have been out, at least a hits about it.

4 Likes

So you don’t think the writers(s) are creating backstories for the 4 heroes in development, trying to figure out their place amongst the already existing heroes? Outlining their possible shorts and intros? Taking all of the ideas and concepts and then working with or waiting on other departments to turn it into something special?

Ok.

So, were is lore for the heroes that already been released? I get you point, the new heroes have their place and some bit of lore. But the original heroes did also get lore when they were created? So where is that lore? Im sorry but i wont change my opinion.

4 Likes

I still stand by my pre-BlizzCon statement that there’s a larger story feature—e.g. in-game, movie, book—underway that won’t be revealed for a while.

There’s a significant amount of writing that goes into the 7 releases per year (3 characters, 3 cinematics, 1 Archives), but it’s not likely enough to occupy a writer full-time for a year, and the Overwatch team has hired more writing staff over time. They didn’t just fall into a black hole. They’re working on something “top secret.”

2 Likes

Overwatch is 24/7… they keep making content. I could see how if you were a writer for release, and I think they only had 1(??) you could’ve been way behind because, well, that’s a lot of work to figure out who these heroes are, create some shorts for several of the heroes pre release, wait for the art team and voice actors to breathe life into them which inturn likely inspires the writers.

I think they’re working on something a little bigger in scope as clearly the drip feeding of animated shorts and a few comic strips are not satiating the thirsty playerbase. They’re always working on something, trying to exceed expectations. Always. And there’s always cynicism from the player base regardless. Just gotta be patient.

It’s really not near enough to take up thier time for a year. If I really could be bothered too. I could create in day 3 characters with a small background for each of thier place in the overwatch world. With descriptions of personalities and how they act, and the story to be used to make a archive a event. And then another day dedicated to each of the cinematics scripts. I focused it. I could do all the current level of depth in a week. I really hope they have something big planned… and soon

Best I can offer is that they’ve had to seriously up their game & need things properly set in place before they move forward…or they feel the need to prolong our connection to the characters as we understand them for now because change could provoke backlash.
I also feel that far more could’ve been done at this point, especially in the realm of comics; but I’d like to assume that the lack of lore is coming from a business decision, rather than a lack of ideas or the ability to make those ideas cohesive with the greater whole.
A guy can hope anyway. xD

2 Likes

Writers, if you’re reading this, I could help with Zen. If you don’t know what to do. I’ve spent the last year and a half coming up with backstories for him.
Just so you know…
Jumps out the window and runs off
Callllllllllll meeeeeeeeeeee…

2 Likes

Probably coming up with enough retcons to fix this mess…

“Oh well Ashe isn’t the founder of the Deadlock Gang because that would make her over 100 years old but she is the founder of the DeadIock Gang which is different because it’s spelled with a capital I instead of a lowercase L.”

WHAM, Solved it…

It must be hard fetching Jeff’s bagels, because he obviously doesn’t do much writing for a head writer.

1 Like

Eh… the lore team probably doesn’t exist anymore, got cut away because they needed more resources for their ESports crap.

2 Likes

The developers are just doing sort of their own thing at the moment due to the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays.

They’re busy retconning the existing lore.

Actually, it’s a common misconception that Hammond is a hamster. He’s a gerbil mouse animatronic robot nevermind, he’s a hamster.

1 Like

Well he would write more, but Jeff wants his lambo waxed everyday, and that task falls to the lore team.

1 Like

Even in the midst of a “big lore story” the devs could mention it’s going to be a ‘big lore surprise’.

The lore section of the staff needs to touch base with us that they’re doing something big lore wise or not. Right now, we’re all just frustrated.

2 Likes

They make few cinematic shorts with a lot of easter eggs but no story progress… It’s kind of like just eating bread crumbs. They love easter eggs too much and have to realize that we’re getting sick of bread crumbs.

1 Like

This game won’t die, I am sure. ^^

I bet whatever is going on, there is a reason for that. It is your right to question what they are doing after such a long time but I think we also have to appreciate what they are giving us at the moment. I am sure they are planning something and I am sure things will go uphill 2019 again. We just have to get accostumed to a new pace and perhaps be gratefull for what we alreadyhave/had.

I’m sure it’s that the writers are lazy and elect to not do their jobs but still somehow keep them.