What is the point of PTR?

D.va missiles nerf was put on PTR weeks ago. Then out of no where with no testing we just reduce boost damage by 60%!!! I mean what is the point of PTR.

These nerfs are completely undeserved and ruining one of the most played characters in game. Dj.va already cannot tank now she cant even add damage. I understand that you want to keep the meta changing to keep viewers interested in OWL, but I honestly think there are better methods and when Brigette is available in stage 4 you already where going to see a lot less dive.

Forum Moderator Note: Inappropriate comments removed.

6 Likes

Bug-testing.

10 Likes

Bug testing. Its very rare they actually make balance changes from PTR testing.

Be honest. they are a little deserved. They were small damage nerfs. hardly game ruining.

8 Likes

To build hype or collect tears.

5 Likes

Sombra’s nerf.
Didn’t go through ptr at all and now it has wonkier los mechanics than Cree’s ult.

Ptr is a hype grab pure and simple. They never listen to community feedback and suggestions from ptr players and the ptr itself is only used as an early release for updates.

9 Likes

this change wouldve happened whether they put it on ptr or not. so whats the problem?

1 Like

IMO simple number changes like this shouldn’t even be on the ptr long if at all. No actual functionality was changed. No workflows touched. No new game mechanics. Just a change in numbers. Nothing to test. Something needed to do less damage it does less damage now. Box it up and ship it out. :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

That isn’t how code development works. Also when you go changing the numbers on multiple abilities of one character it can have a snowball effect.

1 Like

My bet, is that they want the community to try the patch and find if there are game-breaking bugs or so.

There is not other reason imo.

Just sick of balancing around public opinion.

lol DVa has been the top tank for how long? She needed nerfs. The End.

15 Likes

I know how code development works I literally work directly in the field (not video games though). It’s what I’m doing right at this moment (well supposed to be doing lol). Anyway we release simple or high priority fixes all the time with nothing but internal testing. It’s normal for the simple or mission critical stuff.

As for the snowballing that is already pre calculated. It’s just a numbers changed. We know how it snowballs. The numbers at the end are just less now. :man_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

D.Va was a top tier picks across ALL ranks. Besides, they just cut down her burst potential, it’s not too bad

4 Likes

Top picked does not = top tank. She is played alot because

1. there are only 6 tanks to choose from.
  2. She is a jack of all trades so fits in many comps.
  3. only 2 tanks in game have any mobility and in this game mobility is king
  4. Of all the tanks she has some of the most compelling gameplay

The purpose of the Preview Time Region is to give you a preview of the upcoming game changes. And give streamers something to complain/be overjoyed about.

I used to think it was to ID bugs, but the number of bugs identified that get reported but still go live have made me doubt that theory.

how does pick rate translate to anything other than pick rate?

They did not cut her burst potential they destroyed her ability to do damage. They could have reduced burst by making the abilities do less damage but have shorter CDs so over all DPS is the same. This is just a flat out decrease.

1 Like

If DPS remained roughly the same, the nerfs would have accomplished literally nothing. Her base damage was not affected, it’s not that big a deal

Hence why she’s keeping all of those while removing unreasonable extra damage where was not needed

2 Likes

Nothing grinds my gears more than this argument, you honestly believe everyone was playing D.Va because of her compelling gameplay and because there’s only six tanks? Why aren’t people playing those other tanks then? They have 6 to choose from?

You don’t think being good at EVERYTHING isn’t a problem?

You don’t think having mobility like that and being good at EVERYTHING isn’t a bad idea?

She’s so compelling because she’s overpowered, plain and simple. She is better than every other tank in almost every situation.

That’s why she’s picked more than the other tanks, because she’s better than them. And the solution isn’t to buff every tank to D.Va levels.

3 Likes

Comical list.

if there are 6 tanks, it ‘should’ be balanced between them.

She’s not a jack of all trades, shes the highest damage outside of hog, and can delete a squishy while blocking damage.

She is one of 2 tanks with the mobility and yes the maps favour mobility, so its questionably why her dmage has been so high.

‘Compelling gameplay’ lol no.

1 Like