What is GOATS comp and when should I use it?

On LFG I sometimes see goats comp and I have no Idea what it is. What is it and is it good enough for me to use in my games?

1 Like

Three tanks, three supports.

Brigitte, Moira, Lucio, Reinhardt, Winston/Zarya/Roadhog, D.Va.

You use it when it yo either take the first point quickly in a 2CP, or Hyrbid map. You can also use it to take a KotH point very quickly.

However, this composition was made as a direct counter to dive. If the enemy isn’t running dive than this composition is silly.

It’s also really easy to kill with a Pharah, Junkrat, Hanzo, Roadhog or Reaper. So it’s weal to massive burst damage. This is why on payload maps this composition has tended to be weak.

6 Likes

Better question is why is it called goats?

6 Likes

The compositions being run for payloads and point B of 2CP are variations of the following:

Genji, Doomfist, Wrecking Ball/Winston, D.Va, Ana/Moira, Lucio/Brigitte/Zenyatta.

It hasn’t settled on an explicit comp yet, but the point of the comp is to insta kill the supports through shields and through defense matrix.

There was a Korean team called Goats that ran 2 tanks and three supports. They weren’t the first, but for some reason it got labeled as theirs.

Goats is already out.
Do unshieldable.

Wierd… thanks…,…20c

Goats is the proto to the unshiedable. Goats was mostly concerned with defense matrix, but I still consider it superior to unshieldable because Genji and Tracer can’t duel anyone on Goats effectively. The thing that sucks about Goats is it has no stamina. If you can’t get a pick within the first 15 seconds then usually the enemy will reposition and wipe you out with superior damage. .

3 Likes

GOATs is not a korean team, they were an american team who ran 3 tanks and 3 supports and dominated with it

3 Likes

It was not a korean team. It was a contenders team in north america made up of ex-xbox players, some of which got banned. They were extremely aggressive with tank play and the team comp worked well for them, but pharah is a massive counter.

1 Like

Didn’t it used to be called deathball?

It’s not inherently a dive counter even if it works well for that; it was designed to rush in and destroy the tanks and frontline on the objective before the backline can react. If a Pharah can kill stuff it means they took too long on the engage.

1 Like

Basically this.

Most of the time you can run this whenever you’re team is put on attack side. If you have top notch coordinated team, you’ll snowball a lot as this comp is easy to run and very hard to counter because the enemy has to play specific heroes like Mei, Pharah, Hanzo, Widow, etc. better. If the enemy team is not prepared, you almost guaranteed to snowball the map. Even in my level Plat, it’s still hard to counter. I have won most of my games with this comp in my experience.

in a general deathball comp you dont run winston, that is a throw.

not even close, not even close to the truth.

Well there’s a factual error if ever I saw one. Goats are an NA team, very talented but toxic group.

GOATS is a deathball comp, due to the general playstyle (sticking together and closing distance quickly), but not all deathball comps are GOATS. There are variants on deathball that aren’t GOATS.

If you don’t like calling it Goats, you can also call it Big Beef, as coined by OWL Caster Semmler

You run 3 tanks and 3 supports and press W and M1.
A bit oversimplyfied but thats the gist of it.

3 Likes