What happened to GTK1 servers?

What happened to GTK1 servers?

1 Like

Many low-population area servers changed in 2020 from Amazon Web Services to Google as part of a new partnership between ActivisionBlizzard and Google.

I know that. It used to be PNE1 on Amazon, and now it’s GTK1 on Google platform. But now there is no GTK1 server for some reason.
I would like to know why

Blizzard is unlikely to discuss their server infrastructure choices here.

The google servers are trash, south asians, south east asians and aussies have been getting high ping ever since they made the switch. Im playing from sri lanka and my ping on the amazon server was 70 ms and now its always 120 ms. PSE1 SG server Gone? this is the link to the forum post we made

3 Likes

Hopefully part of the agreement was to make sure the routing actually worked to the regions they’re servicing.

1 Like

had about 65ms average on PSE1, since the changeover its been 155ms average on GSG1. I have contacted my ISP, they said nothing could be done on their end. I sent a support ticket to Blizzard a week ago, after telling me to contact my ISP, they said they would look into it and to use a VPN in the meantime. Nothing has changed. This deal with Google is hurting your customers, its your job to fix it for us.

3 Likes

GTK1 servers got back online

They probably chose google servers to save costs because of “low population areas”.

2 Likes

As a corporate sysadmin Google would be the last company I would choose for Aus/NZ. Microsoft is building a datacenter in NZ, should lease some infrastructure there.

1 Like

Those ‘low population areas’ could be high population areas if they actually managed them properly. GSG1 for example literally could service 1.5 billion if its routing actually functioned.

But the player base matters right? If low number of people play in this region compared to US, which do you think will be more on their priority list and which server can be shutdown quicker?

1 Like

It’s a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy though. They kill the playerbase by breaking the routing to half the region, and then wonder why the population of the region lowers by so much.

1 Like

During and after blizzcon my ping has gotten even worse. None of my vpn’s can help.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter, there hasn’t been a game in existence that has had good latency between SEA and NZ. Just by allowing games to even take place there completely rules out the NZ player base.