What goes into a balance patch?

I mean that’s really the question every dev has to ask. For example, soldier. His pickrates are godawful, but because they’re so low, his winrates fluctuate between 40% and upwards of 60%. Then you’ve got heroes like moira with huge pickrates and fairly tame winrates. I would be surprised if they only balanced around stats because they’re so easy to misinterperet.

It’s kind of arbitrary but the OWL does this a lot. They’ll say things like “___ wins ___ percent of fights when ____ happens first” or something along those lines. It’s usually just to point out weird things with teams playstyles though, like how vancouver would win almost every fight as long as Bumper died first lol. I don’t remember how they determine what’s a teamfight based on the stats for the OWL. Like there will always be weird edgecases that don’t make sense but it seemed decent enough.

I dont think its ever been revealed if the OW devs do this too though. From what I understand, the people who work in the stat department for the OWL are completely seperate from the OW team. I dunno if they watch for things like “Players are 80% more likely to win if ____ does ___ first” that would be interesting to hear from them on. Maybe they have a machine learning tool to look at trends? “a disproportionate amount of teamfights are decided by who casts ____” that would be kinda cool.

That would shift the study from emotions to numbers. And until its done, its effectiveness is questionable.

Also, the criteria is a lot of grey areas

That’s what every tool does though, they’re purpose made to boil everything down to easily digestible trends. The important part is responsibly balancing artistic vision vs what’s fun vs what’s reality.

I think Blizz get a lot of negative feedback because people think they either care too much about their vision or too little about what’s fun for more than just a small percentage of players.

If anything I give them negative feedback becuase it always feels like the current patch is being balanced for a patch that we won’t get for months. :confounded:

Could be foresight.

But why would a future proof patch work in the present where the future patch doesn’t even come online.

Also, feedback can be questionable.

For Meta’s we could have them look for different data. Like TTK, Health pool and DPS effect on it. Point capture time of GOATS vs GOATS and then others.

Its like CSI: OWL but with 8Head computers and miles of excel sheets

Ya that’s true. I wonder how much they have to consider their slow patch cycle too. They get a lot of hate for having metas that last for months because they patch the game so slowly, but do they embrace it? Pretty much since the game’s launch we’ve seen metas that last for at least an entire competitive season, if not more. I’m sure it forces them to try and theorycraft about what might happen a lot more… this might just be hindsight but it seems like they miss a lot of obvious stuff lol and it makes me think they do embrace their slow patch cycle rather than fear it.

But sometimes to me it feels like they are waiting, seeing if any new trends emerge themselves without the devs having to step in, watching for patterns. And when the graph goes flat, they put a new balance patch in motion

I wonder what their waiting period is. I remember at the pro level at least, for a DPS comp to be viable enough to win the grand prize, it took 3 full stages of the OWL along with however many months teams were playing moira goats in contendors. Yet that was called a success. I dunno if I’d call that a success just because it happened eventually

It would be nice if they would at least drop some more hints. Like for example, halt hook was an extremely solid meta for quite a while. Even if players didn’t organically figure out a “counter” playstyle (using dva or mei to deny the combo) they probably would have still chosen not to nerf hog or orisa because they knew Sigma was coming, who would likely force a new meta. It just bothers me because it leaves people guessing if something’s actually going to change or not.

Blizzard has what they call, the triangle, its composed of 3 points

The community
The developers
The stats

If 2 or more of these agree on something that something will be changed

So, no data whatsoever?

Statistics doesn’t lie you know

They’ve talked about this type of stuff before you know…

I believe Josh Noh’s most recent response was on this subject (it should be one of the most recent comments up in the dev tracker)

Also Wyoming was kind enough to catalog dev responses/comments both in and out of forums for everyone…there’s a section on balance here

(Not sure how to link the specific subsection…click the whole link)

I imagine it looks something like this.

Okay I might give south park a watch now

I take it you mean there are situations whrre changes occur regardless of what the stats say, and yes, if the devs and the playerbase agree on something changes will occur to it, case in point every Sombra nerf ever

Yes they dont lie but they arent the only factor that should be considered, for instance the game still has to be enjoyable to play and if a character who is statistically fine is actively harming the enjoyment of others they will most likely receive changes to reduce the power of their unfun abilities, they may receive changes at the same time to compensate it or later on in a different patch

why does this sound like Brig’s balancing thinks

QFT

Well if that’s true they should really add a tester who actually plays Sym, Sombra and Brig.

1)See who sheds the most tears on forums

2)Balance

They throw darts at a board of hero’s then use dice to choose what to change

You take a big ol’ dart board, gather around some random suggestions from dev team, then toss a dart and see what it lands on

Or, thats how chaotic the balance feels currently tbh…

along with some gin and tonic to make the game wee bit more fun eh lads?

Because a good chunk of her changes are