What exactly ARE the Shimada Dragons?

Is there really some mystical ancient spirit that randomly blessed this mafia crime family or is there a reasonable scientific explination for all this?

Nanomachines, son! (sorry that was my best answer)

5 Likes

its hardlight
Making symm the queen of shimada clan
They worship Symmetra as their Goddess who conjure structure, beings out of light, genji hanzo and their clan are underlings of symmetra

Symmetra is actually 67 years old but she retains her youthful look thru hardlight and she faked her lore in order to avoid attention from crime lords

Doomfist is one of Symmetras trusted underlings and sombra is her daughter.

1 Like

No official explanations for now =)

Many speculate it’s creation of hard light, nano technology, bio-technology, spirits/chi, magic or other technologies.

We currently have yet no confirmed answer for this question that we seek.

Fun fact from the art book: When they were developing Pharah’s ultimate an eagle would appear behind her while using rocket barrage, but they scrapped this idea because it was too magical and didn’t fit with the theme.

Only to make two characters that summon giant glowing dragons :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Lol fail on there part, plus it would have probably confused all the Americans XD

The weird thing is that according to Hanzo, only a Shimada can control the Dragons. So if they’re simply hard light technology then why wouldn’t they be useable by anyone else?

2 Likes

The only thing we know for sure is that they aren’t magic.

They remind me of Kami. Which is usually attached to a family/clan in some stories. Anime too.

I’ve seen suggestions that this specific branch of hard light might be DNA activated and injected into a person through the tattoo. Makes sense considering the Shimada clan was powerful enough to afford something like this and that Hanzo’s dragons come from his tattoo. It also fits the idea that it’s something only a Shimada can do.

I’m a little sceptical anyway because the dragon shape is still not as extraordinary or unique to be seen as exclusively Shimada technology. Vishkar builds cities out of light; I’m sure they could manage a dragon. But it’s as good as an explanation we can get currently without more information.

1 Like

I’m on team chi… either that or Hanzo is a Pokemon Grand Master :grin:

I found these speculations interesting:

There’s no scientific explanation for the dragons tbh. If it was hard light then they wouldn’t call them “dragons”. It would just be hard light that they chose to make look like dragons.

I don’t have any official answer just guessed but maybe it’s one of those gameplay mechanics that aren’t technically canon in-universe.

like zenyatta’s orbs aren’t a canon thing he does, they’re just there as something to do in the game

But they use their dragons in their animated short :wink:

To me, it’s magic until there is some scientific explanation ^^

1 Like

https://www.online-station.net/pc-console-game/view/104033
(article is in Thai, translation by Google)

In the world of Overwatch, we see the cutting-edge evolution of the science that is used by the heroes as a fighting force. We wondered so much about Hanzo 's death as Dragonstrike, who released two dragons. Is it magic or what ?

Michael Chu & Renaud Galand : (laughs) It’s not magic.

3 Likes

I’d therorize that it’s the same nano-tattoos that Sombra has that she uses to hack.
Notice how Hanzo’s tat always glows when he uses his ultimate?

Nano tattoos? Do you mean her gloves?

She has a full back tat that runs through her upper torso into her hands that’s implanted with nano-tech.
It’s explained in a comic, if I remember correctly.
EDIT:
Found it.
It’s in the origin video. @0:52, it’s an implant, as well as a head tattoo.
I remember it specifically because Hammeh brought it up in one of his videos when he was talking about Searching.

Her augmentations? I think they are geared towards her stealth and hack, I don’t think she could produce anything with literal damage like the dragons, just images and stuff.
Honestly we are no closer to figuring out what they are then at the start.