What do you think is the core problem in OW right now?

The core problem in Overwatch is the same that it’s been since 2017:

I love it too much.

3 Likes

I think core problem is deeper than any balance issue.

For me, a core problem is that players have gotten better than the current structure allows and it disincentivizes the fun play that a game should have.

We needed 222 , role lock and open universal heroes on launch. Now, it’s just awkward and feels clunky. In particular comp and qp in addition to where the devs stand on niches.

Imo you either need to eliminate roles entirely or emphasize role and hero niches rigidly at this point.

And comp needs to go. We need more of a tournament style form of ranking so that smurfs and balance isn’t as much of an issue.

12 Likes

i mean they were nerfed but even then
having stuns that you can use while a shield is up
(no one else can do this)
self peel (kinetic grasp for sig
brig can self heal while shield is up and has whipshot to knock you away)

and damage brig was nerfed in this respect
but sig can dish out plenty of damage two

they built characters that have no inherent
weaknesses and then engineered some when
they realized that wasn’t fair

also bap is another character that belongs on the list

I am actually happy with the game.

waits to be yelled at

1 Like

Well yeah cherry picking every good thing about a hero is ofc gonna make them sound overloaded.

I could say for example mercy is the only hero that can bring someone back from the dead.

6 Likes

The problem is that tanks deal too much damage.

High damage overall (thanks to Sigma) -> Barriers. Sigma and Orisa were the problem and solution at the same time.

Nerfing barriers instead of damage -> Snipers and heroes with high mobility to stay out of their range because the damage is still too high and can’t be blocked anymore.

-> close range heroes with low mobility are bad

My prediction: Damage won’t be nerfed anytime soon so the sniper meta will continue.

What could’ve been:
Damage of tanks gets nerfed -> No need to play double barrier anymore -> no barrier nerfs -> no sniper meta

1 Like

Devs not being interactive and open

For one the community would be more tolerating and would even enjoy the devs presence. Second of all, it would harshly decrease the mob mentality presented in the community.

16 Likes

mercy can’t heal and do damage at the same time
she can’t rez while healing or doing damage
she moves slower while using rez
and can’t move to far away or it stops

if she is the last one alive on a point she usually just dies
with no real way to escape

regardless she is strong because of ashe and echo

brig doesn’t have alot mobility and her
self healing and hp is now low enough that you can kill her
(still has a shield)
she can’t do consistent damage at range but
she has ranged 70 damage lucio boop on the same cooldown
as lucio boop

i think that’s all brigs weaknesses

sig sense the shield nerf is balanced
the reason he’s still meta is because
damage and stuns means rein and winston die
before they even get in
but shields are still usfull so you play sig
who can sheild and do damage and not just shield

shields were nerfed because they never broke
nerfing tank damage just means they even more just don’t
break and moira doom stay hard meta because
they can do stuff through shields
sombra offf meta because she can counter doom
by just looking at the air and holding down
hack and doing nothing else

they buffed tracer because of brig
and mccree because of ashe

zen wasn’t meta during goats
he was meta for brig zen dive but then they
buffed bap so that strategy was droped…

the problem is dlc!

Matchmaking: 45%
Leavers: 45%
General Balance: 10%

1 Like

the core problem would be that new characters get added which wreck balance for old characters.

Like, McCree and Widow were both just fine. Ashe got added and ended doing the job of both, but generally better.
So let’s buff McCree so he does it better.
Now McCree is better than Soldier basically always. Let’s fix Soldier… well, now Pharah has too many counters…

and that cycle just lead to a ton of problems. And I don’t mean JUST because of Ashe, that was just an easy example to explain.

14 Likes

wow where should i start?
in summary:
tanks are trash
some dps are SO SO busted and annoying, they make me stop playing for weeks just being killed by them aka ( tracer, doom hanzo…)
healers are trash, the only busted thing is ana antiheals, it shouldnt be a 100% antiheal, but a 70% antiheal or something like that. but in general, playing tank and heals is living in misery.

content? what is that? is something for phones?
being banned for defending yourself
playing solo with a 5 premade on your team being false reported 15 times and again, getting baned

blizzard support is THE WORST

LITERALLY

THE

WORST

5 Likes

No. Barriers got nerfed over and over again. Is the game better than before? I don’t think so.

Even before Sigma it was possible to run 2 barriers. So if shields were overpowered and never broke why wasn’t Orisa/Rein or Orisa/Winston meta?

Because Orisa wants to stay away from the enemies while Winston and Rein wants to get close. Play at distance? Winston and Rein would deal zero damage. Play close? Orisa wouldn’t be able to catch up.

But with Sigma everything changed. We now have two tanks with high damage AND high range. Double barrier was the symptom.

3 Likes

I would say the lack of attention and updates in general. What ever staff is working on this game just keeps getting reduced to work on other projects or laid off/fired. Add to that who ever is working on the game are pretty bad at making meaningful and lasting changes.

Instead we get “Busy work” balance patches that rarely ever fix anything and often over written or undone a few patches later. There has been a yo-yo match going on with tanks and support for ages.

Just a vicious nerf/buff cycle that hasn’t achieved anything. Even launch day hero’s aren’t properly balanced, let alone anything new…

9 Likes

rain has to get close to the enemy to do damage
and all the characters he likes to play with
can’t do damage through shields (zarya dva lucio)

wintons has the same problem but more prounounced
because he was worst stats (less armour and damage)

sigma and orisa could stand far away from you shoot you untell you
die and then push the payload
unless you both run double shield in which case no one takes
damage unless their is a doom or
an ulting Moira

(i personally enjoy this version of double shield
because plat players were too stupid to
play it right)

Sadly this really doesn’t work in OW. I think it’s one of the main problems. Matches are too fast, rely too much on close quarters combat. You can’t be a mid range tank in OW or no one pushes forward to take objectives. In general you can’t kill people fast enough without Ult’s to ever clear the points to do such a thing.

If you hang back off the objective as Orisa you will only kill the enemy in a trickle, never making progress. A minute or two of fighting to wipe the enemy out, to push maybe 30 seconds before they are back?

Of 34-ish heroes, you can only play ~10 otherwise you risk dragging your team down and/or risking getting banned for uncooperative play since your team will negatively report you under “gameplay sabotage” for not using said 10 usable heroes.

11 Likes

i’m talking about the past when
this was the meta with doom as the only
player doing damage
other than that you had mei as an extra tank
or sombra to counter doom

if the enemy doesn’t also play this comp
their resources eventually run out and they die
keep in mind sigma still had a 200 damage combo
off of rock so halt plus rock = death

You can pretty much pick up anything from this game and there will be a huge problem with it.

4 Likes