What do you think is the core problem in OW right now?

One of main issues with moving into FPS, is that damage becomes most decisive factor. And that’s kind of dumbing down strategy to “whoever shoots more/harder wins”.

1 Like

Meanwhile, I play OW because I like characters like Pharah, Genji, Moira…

I get people hate on those, and it’s not that I think FPS is boring or bad, it’s just, I already have a bunch of FPS games, and I like MMO’s too, and I found this game so interesting when I started at launch (and I still do).

I don’t really mind, I just wanted a unique game to play among all the others in my library…

But I am also pretty easy to please… I’m playing Anthem right now for crying out loud…

I do like me a dmg boosted Winston though…

• Damage way is too high.
  • There’s too much reliance on instagibs and kill combos to make heroes competitive, rather than scaling back instagibs so everyone’s competitive without them.
  • Projectiles have too few advantages over hitscan to make sure there’s meaningful tradeoffs for choosing either one.
  • Hyper-mobility is an ongoing issue which is only solved by having extreme stuns/cc and burst damage to knock those characters back to spawn before they can react and get away.
  • Characters keep getting added without any meaningful thought put into what sort of niche they fill, and even if such a niche needs to be filled in the first place.
  • Characters have kits that no longer mesh well with the design of the game and aren’t getting updated kits to keep them relevant. OR. The core game design is now so far removed from what it used to be that it’s alienating OG heroes and that is the part that needs addressed.
2 Likes

esports. The game should have never been so focused on competition at the expense of fun.

3 Likes

Matchmaking. The huge influx of new players and the rapid degradation in match quality is proof.

(1) Ranked matchmaking basing off of hidden MMR and manipulating players into playing longer rather than MM based entirely on SR and allowing free movement of rank. QP is always there as a fall back for optimizing player retention and playtime, but doing that in ranked arguably invalidates the competitive aspect of the mode and creates widespread distrust in the system.

(2) Balancing the GM/OWL with buffs readily exploitable by other ranks as well. The game is routinely imbalanced for 99% of the playerbase, because they give a flat buff to help viability in the highest ranks/OWL (like a flat damage increase, for example) that throws it way off in every other rank. Then later they have to compensate with a nerf that upsets GM/OWL again anyways. If the problem is viability at the highest ranks, buff a strategy/maneuver that the other ranks can’t pull off to isolate the change to where its needed.

(Order is when I thought of them, not how important they are)

The real core problems of this game:

1. Horrible matchmaking everywhere. Comp games have mixed players of legit low tier masters and T500 players. Now that’s very bad for competitive, but then when you remove the competitive part out of it, it gets way worse. Mixing and matching legit gold players with T500 players in gamemodes like QP, even though players have properly adjusted MMRs from consistent gameplay, just drains any and all enjoyment from the gamemode entirely. The gamemode is essentially unenjoyable unless you play during midnight during which there are so few players that they’re forced to their respective brackets, but when you play during daytime it’s a horrendous stuffshow because the matchmaking is desperately trying to find games fast, even if said games would be horribly unbalanced. In fact it’s so horrible that players are now actively “smurfing” in QP to get a favorable matchmaking experience that they can’t get on their main accounts
  2. Player attitude is just horrible. A lot of players throw games and outright refuse to play the game properly for a win. Even comp games near GM is littered with alt account players that never join voice channels, never change anything that they’re doing even though they know it costs their team the game and nobody simply cares about winning. When there are players who don’t give a heck about the gameplay, blast music while tunneling forwards and are then toxic towards everyone, it just ruins the gameplay experience for everyone else in the game. Players not giving a heck about the game are abundant everywhere and quite frankly I can’t even understand why are they still playing the game when they don’t care about it??
2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: They DO listen to forum people? :scream: Since when? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Wow! :wink:

Playing for win means losing last droplets of fun this game still has.

Lack of vision. This is not the game that launched in 2016.

The game for the last few years has been balanced around the current meta rather than leaving the game in some quasibalanced state. A lot of “we’re tired of seeing this or playing against that, so change it.” This revolving door of what is viable now and what is oppressive doesn’t seem to be something part of the playerbase enjoy. But others that want a refreshing meta experience do, they just want it handled better.

I think part of it is that the company is Blizzard which comes from the history of StarCraft that pretty much revolutionized asymmetrical balance and esports. So now they have this expectation above their heads and the game wasn’t really designed for that.

But then, what’s the point? Like I’m not saying you need to necessarily tryhard and go full 100% in, but players should at least have winning as their main priority. Like they should at least play the game properly by avoiding mistakes and whatever. It’s pretty much the only concrete goal this game has to offer. Even if you’re trying to get better at the game, you’re essentially trying to get better at winning.

Having fun is main priority. Not winning.

Overwatch made us choose between fun and winning, so don’t be surprised, if someone chooses fun. If players find it fun to charge into enemy team and die repeatedly, it’s on them. May as well grab popcorn, take a seat and enjoy such show.

I mean if someone wants to do this we can’t physically stop them then and there. Having fun at the expense of others is never not scummy though and quite frankly is often against the ToS of the game.

In my sincerest opinion if you’re choosing between these two and aren’t having fun when both of these are on the table, I’d recommend switching games. Not because of myself or others, but for the sake of the player because you’re probably not enjoying the game that much anyways.

Add a “Toxic community” to this and it sums up the whole thread.

1 Like

Hit scan dominance, its making many heroes obsolete including every single none hit scan dps.

Pretty much sums up the relationship this game has with healing, its actually pretty toxic how necessary healing is to do ANYTHING in this game. Honestly the reason tanking feels so bad is because healers are expected to keep tanks alive instead of them just being tanky.

3 Likes

The core problem?

In my opinion it is the balancing of this game. They keep buffing easy heroes like McCree and Hanzo but nerf Tracer, Zen, Ashe.

Overwatch has 2 fundamental problems right now that are somewhat linked to each other

1. The baseline for ‘power’ is too high
    This is due to Blizzard’s incorrect attitude towards balancing. More often than not, if a hero was overpowered, they would buff said hero’s counters instead of simply nerfing the overpowered hero. So they were actually moving the problem and not fixing it. This created an environment where the centre of the game’s balance was never consistent, but always increasing after every meta.
  2. The pace of the game is too fast.
    Too much power is placed in burst damage. Too much power is placed in burst healing. Too much of the game comes down to split-second decisions and reaction times.
2 Likes

Blizzard. The balance team is just straight up incompetent.

IMO, the game relies too much on spam damage. People seems to be just firing both their ammo and abilities since there’s no restriction, the only thing I see being not spammed is Ults.

I think if there wasn’t as much damage being thrown around all the time the healing and shield nerfs wouldn’t feel as oppressive.

Idk how to fix this though. I think maybe if only when healing/damage connects you get Ult charge with maybe a nerf to abilities cooldown in general could help reduce this overwhelming spam damage.

1 Like