What do Tanks need to be more appealing?

That’s the only reason I’d play D.Va unironically.

Can Reinhardt be a Leopard II?

This is making me want to attempt comp more, just to see how soul sucking it truly is…

Nothing. A new Tank hero in S8 and Hogs rework in S7 will be enough.

People complained 10 months ago saying no one wants to play support (even though they were mostly fine) here we are 2 new support heroes back to back later and they’re the most played role.

Not having a shiny new toy is a guaranteed way to make people less likely to queue a role

Make tanks raid bosses and reduce healing across the board.

For me, its that these Tanks don’t look or feel like Tanks.

Orisa, Reinhart meet this criteria as they are imposing, can survive loads of punishment and have the fire power to discourage most approaches. Maybe Ball as well because of his Mecha design.
The rest don’t look like or feel like tanks . Sure they have rotund, Muscular figures and D.va has a mech…but they feel very fragile and seem to have attacks that don’t scare off any attackers. Fat DPS as many would call them.
Then there’s the fact some are still designed with their “off-tank” kit. Sure you buff some numbers but they still function like an off tank.

They should just go all out on making each one an Anchor Tank.

None of the tanks aren’t fun to play or are ineffective at present(excluding Roadhog because rework) so they don’t really need changes aside from top tanks being brought down some so they aren’t holding others back too hard.

It is their counters that need to change, and more specifically it’s Ana and Sombra that need changes the most. We’ve got Sombra so now we need Ana to change.

Beyond that, Ana, Kiriko, and Baptiste are just holding back the game in general because they’re all too effective for how much effort is required to be that effective.

As I’ve said in my original post, I’m afraid that if we make tank counters too weak, then the tanks will have to be nerfed again and we’ll be left in a state worse than where we started. Just once, I want to see buffs tried before we peel a little more skin off of this apple.

Especially since buffing tanks will mostly help the tanks, but if we nerf Ana or other tank counters, that’s an indirect buff to more heroes than just targeted buffs to tanks.

Role passive that negates CC effects outside ultimate abilities to a certain extent unless a few of the dive tanks need to get reworked for that to be possible

There shouldn’t be “tank counters”

No character should counter an entire role. Ana counters two entire roles. She needs to change.

The biggest reason Ana is the most played character and has been for years now is because she’s a cureall. Tanks being a big issue? Sleep em. Supports making things hard on you? Anti em. Bonus points, she’s a sniper and can deal with any damage character not trying to flank her as a result. Is she super easy to play? No, but she covers too many bases for the difficulty level of the character.

Ana is Overwatch’s number 1 issue, and, again, has been for years

1 Like

They need to be able to actually kill stuff again lol. DPS struggle to confirm kills sometimes. What hope does a tank have other than to just play defensive 24/7 :rofl:

Most tanks have really fun kits in OW2. The problem is they can’t use them the way they want because there is only one tank and taking any risk = team kill.

#bring_back_6v6

1 Like

6v6 only had two tanks for 3 years, and those 3 years were the bad years of the game

Your fond memories are shrouded in misguided perceptions

And Blizz reworked tanks into being brawlers, so they are all a lot more fun to play, just not in 5v5 role queue as the lone tank.

Notice how there is no tank shortage in every other game mode? 3v3, 4v4, open queue, mayhem etc?

The tank heroes are not the issue. The game mode is. 5v5 role lock makes tanking SUCK.

3 Likes

They’re way more fun than being the lone tank in 6v6 was, and I’ll take one tank over double shield, meathead Rein Zarya comp, or Ball Hog any day of the year

Just get rid off/nerf biggest tank counters and they are completely fine. Sombra hack vs Doom/Ball, Ana nade vs pretty much anyone, sleep dart still too good and immortal supports like Kiriko should be looked upon so tanks can actually punish people for staying in their range.

Too much value comes from easy swaps. Matchups between tanks are not close and some counters like Ana bring way too much value for how easy they are to hit. To be honest most of my problems when I play tank come from being perma naded whenever I play a tank without shield. It’s just aids. Nerf Ana, fix tank vs tank matchups (so no more D.Va vs Zarya, Orisa vs Hog/Rein) and tanks are fun. I think mostly hard counters needs to be looked upon. Being alone tank is fine, I just hate it how easy it is to just counterpick you into oblivion and how much value it brings since useless tank = gg go next.

I said they could lower discord orb to 20% on tanks and see how that goes. It’d be fine probably.

When the meta is switch to hard counter the tank at all times, you NEED to make tanks the hardest role in the game to counter. Like honestly when do you see someone switch to counter a support or a dps? It just doesn’t happen outside a phara swap. Countering is used solely on the tank right now.

During the OW2 beta, I said “Anti tank heroes and abillites need to go. If they aren’t dealt with, we will have an anti tank meta where everyone just counters the tank and throws everything they got at him then cleans up the rest of the team.” And look where we are now…damn blizzard is foolish for not hiring me as head of the balance team :laughing:

They will never do what I suggest though, it’s too much work, but that’s what needs to be done to make the tank role tolerable. There’s just no other way out of it. It’s bad because it’s so easy to counter, and it’s miserable because you’re forced to constantly switch every minute.

Immediately cue the legions of DPS mains whining about it being unfair how that they can no longer 1v1 and dominate the enemy tank.

“Raid bosses” simply don’t work. They’re not allowed to.

2 Likes

First off, I don’t agree. You guys keep saying this like its true, but in reality you’ll find that some characters need counters. If tanks are allowed to press W without counters, you WILL grow to hate it.

Oh, I can see you’re unwilling to have a rational conversation about this. You sound like the people who thought 5v5 would save Overwatch…until they got it.

Bro, your opinion isn’t the only valid one. What makes you think you can go around saying “You’re wrong because I didn’t like it”?

Delete Ana from the game and/or evolve the format into 6v6