What are Mercy mains thinking?

The idea of this post is to inform the people are genuinely questioning Mercy mains and don’t understand how or why they feel the way they do. I’m making this post to hopefully help explain it for everybody. Edit: I’ve made some changes in response to feedback to the thread.

Disclaimer:

I do not speak for everyone, this is a generalisation based off everything I have been reading on the forums lately. I have over 600 hours on Mercy so I have plenty of experience to draw from when it comes to discussing her strengths and weaknesses. I want to try my very best to remain unbiased, impartial, open-minded and respectful.

Let’s start with why Mercy mains are unhappy.
A reply to this thread said it better than I ever could but basically: Mercy players want to feel like their choices in a match can actually accomplish something.

Let’s move on to why some people were unhappy at the recent PTR buff.
Okay so imagine you have $100. I take $20 from you and I decide to give you back $10 later.
How does that make you feel?
I’d be surprised if you said it made you feel good. You used to have $100 now you have $90
That’s just a little example of how this buff feels because it is a partial revert to the 60hps nerf. We already know how Valkyrie with 60hp/s plays out.
Personally I’m just happy to be finally receiving a buff in any capacity although I will be disappointed if this is it. The Mercy community is afraid the devs will think “Okay Mercy is in a good spot right now” and leave her as is for months and months. They also feel this change doesn’t address any of our concerns (such as she is no longer that fun to play in this reworked state) nor is it the change we wanted or have been asking for.

If you’re thinking "Too bad it’s not what YOU wanted, it’s what the devs have decided is best for their game. Then please read this section.

Read me :)

Actually the devs have contradicted themselves with every Mercy balance change.
So much so to the point that everything they claimed this rework would do has been stripped away. The rework itself contradicts Mercy’s core design as a highly mobile “strong single-target healer”. Mercy was meant to feel engaging to play whilst Valkyrie was meant to open up a lot of play-making capabilities. I assume the devs really wanted this to be a positive change for Mercy and the rest of the game however with each iteration she became more balanced at the cost of losing this intended goal thought out for her. (And in turn this made her increasingly less fun to play). Eventually this led to Mercy losing her identity as the strongest heal throughput support just to take her out of this must-pick status that Mercy 2.0 has (and that nobody asked for). I can honestly say that I personally have not once in my entire time playing Mercy heard anyone complain that she ever healed too much (until now…). In fact she was buffed in the past to solidify her role as a strong single-target healer.

Next up!

• A lot of us hate Valkyrie and call it unfun.
    On paper this ultimate has a lot going on
Valkyrie summary

Extended range on Guardian Angel + Speed increase.
Extended range on chain beams, free flight, infinite ammo, unhindered regeneration (20hp/s) and is the longest lasting ultimate in the game (15 secs).

However none of this helps too much in keeping the team alive especially when other ultimates are involved making this a poor ult when used defencively. It’s even a poor ult when used as an initiation tool as people you are healing can still easily be damaged beyond our healing capabilities and Valkyrie incentives grouping up which the enemy team will respond with team-wiping ultimates. In that case it just feels ironic that Mercy screams out “Heroes never die” when yeah, they do, and there’s nothing we can do about it. (This includes the period in which Mercy’s Valkyrie healed at a rate of 60hp/s)

• Holding LMB (or RMB) = max potential reached. And this in particular is a problem.
  • Chain beams make this ultimate un-engaging because it removes the need for target prioritisation.
  • It is also called “unfun” because it has little visible value (unless you go battle Mercy and harass/kill some squishies including that poor helpless widowmaker).
  • It’s not that different to how Mercy is played normally either, it’s just Mercy’s kit with enhancements and increased survivability.
  • We are not saying it’s not helpful, and it’s not a useful tool but it does leave the Mercy player feeling unsatisfied. Let’s be real, most Valkyries play out exactly the same way a lot of the time. Some of us want an ultimate that can accomplish bigger and better things.

We are not saying we want to her be overpowered, a must pick, easier to play or have value handed to us on a silver platter we’re trying to explain why we don’t like this ultimate as best we can when on paper it looks really good. However I also acknowledge that some people do like Valkyrie. I have some suggestions at the bottom of this post that I think could improve it’s state.

Frequently brought up by the rest of the community.

• 1 ) Mercy has never been fun to begin with.
    Fun is subjective and obviously there are things a lot of us still do like about Mercy. That doesn’t mean we are satisfied with her state as a whole.
  • 2 ) Other ultimates aren’t that fun to use either?
Point 2 answer

Maybe so but they do however provide the player with the tools to make an impact on the fight overall and often differ from the capabilities of the hero’s regular kit. We’re simply saying Valkyrie is lackluster and falls short of doing this. Holding LMB (or RMB) = Max potential reached, and you can often do this while peeking behind a corner.

• 3 ) Just play another hero there are 28 for a reason.
Point 3 answer

Lots of us enjoy Mercy’s concept as a pacifist “healer only” support. We love her mobility which allows us to be self sufficient and rely on our team less for help. We even love her aesthetically, being a beautiful and angelic figure is a lot of fun. She is unique. No other support comes close to being as fun in comparison (for most of us).

• 4 ) Mercy mains are bad.
Point 4 answer

Please don’t consider "Mercy mains are mechanically unskilled" or can’t aim as an argument because it’s not the case for everyone. Plus don’t forget there are different heroes that require no aim or forgiving aim anyway. Not all of us choose to play her for her mechanical simplicity.

Community ideas: I’ll give this its own section because it will be sort of long.

Read me :)

There have been lots of ideas but they do tend to pose either balance issues or focus heavily on an ultimate revert for Mercy instead of thinking outside the box to improve what we already have. Let me say this before people get upset at me. I acknowledge there are great ideas out there. Some of which are supporting a mass resurrect rework (which I am on board with). But at the same time not many people have presented ideas for helping Mercy 2.0 that sound healthy for the game and my own have been met with discontent due to people being closed off to those ideas. (I’m not saying my ideas were perfect either)

Mercy is meant to be an entry level hero (1 star difficulty) with simple and easy to use mechanics. You have to consider how any changes will play out across the board in every skill tier. And how her simple to use mechanics translate into the rest of the game.
It’s a problem when bronze and grand-master players use mechanics in the exact same way and gain equal value. Resurrect being instant cast is an example of this.

Finally, if you’re interested. Here are my ideas for tweaking Valkyrie. (I’d love to see Mass res come back in a reworked form but in case it doesn’t here are my suggestions)

Mercy 2.0 Valkyrie

The values proposed are subject to change.

• Mercy
  • Resurrect can now be cancelled manually. (But incurs a penalty cooldown of 10 seconds)
  • Valkyrie:
  • Healing increased to 70hp/s.
  • Chain healing reduced to 35hp/s (was 70hp/s)
  • Resurrect cast time reduced to 1.5 seconds (down from 1.75)

Notes: Cancel res is a solution that allows res to be a part of Mercy’s kit and flow better with her high mobility design.
Valkyrie: These changes are designed to subtract power from places it’s not needed and add them to places that are. So the single target heal is increased whilst chain beams are being reduced, this should give Mercy back the “engaged” feeling by having to choose your targets again while giving you a hefty heal increase to respond to heavy bursts of damage. However it also still provides additional group healing at a reduced rate. 70hps should be strong enough as I believe any higher and you’re getting dangerously close to rendering your pocket unkillable. (Due to the nature of Mercy’s heal being a consistent uninterrupted healing beam)
Res cast time is adjusted slightly so that it flows better with Valkyrie but it’s not too drastic that you would pop Valkyrie just to res.

72 Likes

Mercy doesn’t belong to you. It’s not your property.

Fun is subjective, has nothing to do with balance.

And it actually does have a lot going on for it.

It looks good in reality as well.

Glad you bring that up as well. So we can safely eliminate fun out of the equation since you are also willing to point that out and it’s not an actual legitimate point.

Conclusion: Mercy is fine balance-wise and she certainly will be even better with the latest buff. Fun is subjective, a lot of people find Mercy fun myself included. Mass rez was unhealthy for the game hence why it was taken out.

PS. The correct analogy is that they gave you 50$ (mass rez SR abuse) and then they gave you another 100$ (OP Valkyrie) and then they took away 20$ (tuning Mercy to make other supports playable) and gave you back 10$ (buffing her again).

39 Likes

It’s a metaphor for the partial revert. I never said she belonged to me. You obviously misunderstood me.

20 Likes

Oh boy another one, all my Christmases come at once.

4 Likes

Clearly the wrong metaphor used then.

10 Likes

Really? We have Mercy that can heal 60hps, and in valk heals 60hps. Mercys ult charges 15% faster with 60hps. The ptr buff is a partial revert. Hence me “giving” 10 dollars back when I took 20.

14 Likes

That’s also subjective (what you say regarding a lot of players find Mercy fun), we don’t know how many players truly find Mercy fun or not fun. Pick rate doesn’t tell us the full and conclusive story either way. Some players will play a hero regardless for a variety of reasons.

As for OP, a well written thread outlining some of the current issues that regularly come up in Mercy discussions.

16 Likes

Yeah but you had more than you should have had, at least that’s devs logic… when they noticed they took too much they gave you a portion of what they took.

Your example sorta doesn’t make sense, I’m sorry.

4 Likes

It makes sense when you consider the context. I’m using this to describe why some Mercy mains are outraged with this buff. They’re giving back Valk with 60hp/s when we already know how it plays out and it was lackluster then.

7 Likes

Exactly my point. Fun is not a legitimate point in this debate - it’s subjective and it tells nothing, it’s personal.

It’s an inherently flawed analogy based on the principle that you are owed something. You are not owed anything. The hero doesn’t belong to you for them to take something from you. A buff is a buff, unless of course you have a different definition for a buff. Mercy is fine, and now she would be even better so the devs are clearly paying attention. And now Reaper, Hog and Symmetra are getting buffed as well. All is good with the world.

How does your argument hold for the time when Mercy was stupidly OP? Or the mass rez SR abuse - I guess you were given 100$ extra beforehand - so they are simply taking back what’s owed I suppose. This analogy is all kinds of wrong.

6 Likes

She was meta and still dominating picks with overall 60 hp/s… removing it entirely proved to set Mercy below other healers… so giving a portion of it back seems like the logical method to test if she’ll work out as a balanced hero.

6 Likes

So you are saying that people not having fun can never be a legitimate point because fun is subjective, and should therefore never be a reason for making changes to a game, ist that about right?

5 Likes

Again it’s just explaining the discontent for the buff. In a way that shows all they did was give us a little bit back of what they took. It’s a simple little anecdote that emulates the same emotional response. The buff itself doesn’t address any other concerns people have over Mercy’s current state. Stop trying to make it about something it’s not.

It’s not an argument and it was not intended to include the period in which Mercy was over-tuned.

You’d be valid in trying to argue Mercy mains don’t have a right to complain about a buff and we could discuss back and forth why they do or don’t. That makes more sense than trying to conjure nonsense out of a silly little example.

2 Likes

Same logic applies to OP we don’t know the number of Mercy players that compeletly don’t want valk.

Fun is subjective and cannot be accurately measured. Balance can be via multi-varied analysis. Also the idea that Mercy is not fun for all is a myth - she is plenty fun to me and a lot of other people. Why should your lack of fun trump over my fun to return the question back to you?

How does your anecdote work for when Mercy was stupidly broken or the mass rez SR abuse? In game of tit for tat where do we draw the line? Or you are just trying to elicit an emotional response to fuel your argument and make it seem more credible.

1 Like

Indeed, all we have however is this forum to really go by, except sadly half or more of the Mercy threads generally eventually turn into a warzone debate or get deliberately derailed. Some people saying she’s fine when they don’t even play her for example, some people having their own interests in not wanting Mercy buffed such as possibly nightmares about when she was OP, or because they prefer maining Ana or something.

Of course some people will genuinely feel that she’s fine and main Mercy, and I respect their opinion, but there’s obviously still quite a number of forum members on here who appear to be disgruntled with the rework to date and would like some kind of positive change (such as a rework) that addresses some of the common complaints on here as well as not making her OP again.

3 Likes

You do realise people are advocating for a change that is not only balanced but fun to play for the majority of people? So why are you complaining?

3 Likes

Well some of the advocates of reverting Mercy don’t even play the game anymore and haven’t done so by their own admission for an year now. I would advocate that they are completely out of touch and biased but that’s just my opinion. :roll_eyes:

I respect everybody and their opinion and they are entitled to it.

Haven’t seen any suggestion yet that does both of those things. And please don’t link the Titanium thread with the obligatory “read this then”.

The forums are not a majority not by a long shot. And the Mercy mains are not some homogeneous group. Also I’m not complaining about anything. I’m just having a discussion and pointing flaws in your logic. And trying to be as polite as possible that my culture would permit me (apparently I’m too direct for Americans).

2 Likes

You’re making incomplete statements and not bothering to read the post. You have completely in fact missed the point of the post which was to inform people of WHY Mercy mains think and feel the way we do.

4 Likes

Well also, would you rather just have 50 hps all together or at least have 60 hps in Valk and less of ult cost.