Welcome to Season 31 of Competitive Play

Welcome to Season 31 of Competitive Play

Season 31 of Competitive Play is here!

Unlocked at level 25, Competitive Play is designed for those players who want to put their skills to the test, and offers a more serious experience than our Quick Play or Arcade Modes.

GETTING STARTED

Before you can kick off your competitive career, every player will be required to complete five placement matches in a selected role to obtain their seasonal skill rating for that role. Within the standard Role Queue competitive mode, players will earn separate skill ratings (SR) for each role in Competitive Play, for a total of three distinct SRs. This rating will be a number between 1 and 5000, with higher values indicating a greater skill level. Players will also be assigned a tier per role based on their rating—Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, or Grandmaster – and climbing into the next tier is possible as you improve. Open Queue will utilize the same rating and tier system, but since there is no Role Queue system, you will have a separate, single SR reflective of your performance across all heroes within this game mode.

Skill ratings and tier icons will be visible at the beginning of every match. As you compete, your selected role or Open Queue skill rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match.

A detailed breakdown of the skill tiers, along with icons and information about the corresponding skill ratings can be found by pressing the “Information” button under the Competitive Play menu.

COMPETITIVE REWARDS

In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can also unlock unique rewards through Competitive Play. Anyone who completes their placement matches in any role or Open Queue during a Competitive Season will receive a special spray and player icon.

On top of that, as you complete competitive matches, you’ll earn a currency called Competitive Points. When the season concludes, you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the highest Skill Tier you obtained during the season per role to spend on golden versions of your favorite heroes’ weapons. This also applies to your highest Skill Tier reached within the Open Queue.

Here’s the Skill Rating (SR) to Competitive Point (CP) breakdown:

Per Role Open Queue Max Total
Bronze 25 65 140
Silver 50 125 275
Gold 100 250 550
Platinum 200 500 1100
Diamond 300 750 1650
Master 450 1200 2550
Grandmaster 650 1750 3700

TOP 500 LEADERBOARDS

The best of the best players compete across five separate Top 500 Leaderboards. Within Role Queue, one for each role, along with an additional combined average leaderboard. The combined Role Queue Top 500 Leaderboard will be based on the player’s average skill rating across all three roles. To be eligible for a role-specific leaderboard, players must complete at least 25 games in that role. To qualify for the combined Top 500 Leaderboard, players must be eligible for all three role-specific leaderboards. Open Queue will have its own Leaderboard that will require at least 50 games played within the game mode for qualification. At the end of the season, players who earn a spot within the Top 500 players for any of these leaderboards on their platform and region will receive an additional player icon and animated spray.

Season 31 is live RIGHT NOW on Windows PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, so power up your favorite gaming machine and join the fight. We’ll see you in-game!

As a reminder, new seasons begin on the first Thursday of every other month. We’ve included a projected 2022 calendar of season start dates below!

Start Date (PDT)
Season 32 January 6, 2022
Season 33 March 3, 2022
9 Likes

Welcome Jodie! We welcome you to the forums and promise to behave (mostly).

As a quick reminder to everyone, this season was a little better in terms of seeing players get season bans due to disconnections (from what I saw in the #technical-support forum), but I would like to remind everyone that if you are having disconnections or other technical issues to avoid playing the mode until you can resolve those issues, penalties are never removed.

11 Likes

Thank you for antismurf features.

Seriously, you join in a forum full of threads complaining smurfs and really think none will point it to you? Or just ignore that?

Do you care about this game? Do something instead ignoring users.

10 Likes

why is the word “competitive” play being used. they didn’t reset the ladder, they didn’t make it 1 account per player, and afaik they didn’t remove the mmr rigging?

i’m not sure i understand the contest. are you fixing the match odds in advance based on hidden performance criteria we don’t get to audit? please advise, thanks. my kids want to know if S31 is legit esports. the whitelisted flats/emongg content isn’t going to cut it.

hopefully we get some matches where the odds aren’t pre-determined or attempted pre-determined via bigdatacrunch. keep it clean unrigged and fair. gl hf

9 Likes

Anyone else keep getting server shutdowns in comp games?

4 Likes

I was one win away from top 500 openq but failed to get it. The golden D.Va headset icon will now forever be out of my reach. I don’t think I’ll ever get over this. I don’t want to play anymore…

3 Likes

Ah yes another terrible season of comp where I will no doubt get bullied and harassed everyday to the point where I almost feel like crying, rigged games. making my mental health decline because the game makes me so angry I get headaches, broken characters and still not getting back to diamond after almost 6 years. Why do I keep playing? cause I’m an idiot that’s why :slight_smile: and this game is more addictive than drugs or gambling.

4 Likes

if they keep gaslighting u to gitgud u have a reason to keep playing. tell urself it’s not rigged and it’s all on u and when the lawsuit comes out and it was rigged and it wasnt u then u get some of bobby’s cashkek

Cant wait to place 3900 again…

1 Like

Blizzard cant make it for your country, there are legal and technical problems with that.

The rule is actually enforced in my country and it doesn’t help at all :joy:
Humans are smart in their ways to break the rules.

1 Like

can you be more specific about the rule(s), legal/tech etc. ?
the us and canada share a 90% overlap with dr.venn
also logix still lives in canada btw.

1 Like

Yep, you don’t need to take that crap.

Mute text, mute voice.

4 Likes

Oh it’s Jodie, can’t wait to see more of their comments In the future.

2 Likes

Dang cool new season now can you disable the stupid MMR “fair match” 50/50 system and just let people play with people near their visual SR so the system can sort itself out instead of making everything a slog? You don’t need to force matches to be even. You are handicapping players by forcing bad players to get carried by the better players of their MMR range. You’re creating ladders inside of brackets, it’s completely pointless and annoying. The good players will imbalance games and stomp their way out until they naturally get at a rating they belong without it.

3 Likes