Weirdest Issue Ever (Frame Pacing/Floaty mouse)

Hello and thanks for checking my post!

I am a huge fan of Overwatch 2 and I play it competitively, but right now I find it completely unplayable due to weird frame pacing and insane input lag.

I reinstalled Windows 3 times (3rd time i installed Windows 10 because -why not- something on W11 could be broken).

I also flashed BIOS with the latest version that also wiped all the custom settings, so everything (XMP excluded) is on default.

It’s hard to describe what I feel but I’ll do my best!

The game NEVER drops frames, I am playing on a 240Hz Gsync display. But sometimes, in chaotic situations, the game has this weird jitter that completely changes the mouse responsiveness, making it very hard to aim.

Capping framerate (and refresh rate too, due to GSync) makes the issue more obvious. Playing at 144 fps on Overwatch is worse than playing other games (I’ve tried Forza Horizon 5, Roboquest and Doom Eternal) at 60 fps.

Things I’ve done:

-Tried different mouse, different monitor, Gsync off, different keyboard, 3 different Nvidia Drivers, both Bnet and Steam versions of the game, using Reduce Buffering (ingame settings) on and off.

Pc: i7 13700k NO OC, MSI RTX 4090, Asus ROG Strix z790 Wifi, mouse1 Razer Deathadder Elite v3 wireless, mouse 2 Logitech GProx Superlight.

ANY idea would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

The only things Overwatch doesn’t share with the other games is that runs DX 11 and it’s completely online, so it could be a network issue too (?).

3 Likes

I have been sputtering between 80-130 fps during matches in qp and I have been having that same issue. The tmp of my gpu never went over 65c and i used low settings…

I normally get 240+fps and have falls to 210 on intense fights so im lost for words.

Weird thing is that it happens between games… where some games Im fine… but others I have the issue… and I get both results on the same maps at different times.

I also played 5 or so games and ya I felt jittering like the aim acceleration was increasing during critical periods like overtime or a large number of ults being used.

2 Likes

Game has been laggy for me today. I played yesterday and it was fine, so I don’t think its the bebop patch. A few other people were also lagging in comp tonight, someone else was saying they would reset pc to try to fix it, while I had just told my duo I would reset mine minutes earlier.

I play overwatch often, this is new.

(resetting pc didnt help either)

Yeah having the same issue here as well. It seems that the framepacing is worse than before the update.

Last week I was able to play without microstutters/massive input lag.

Specs:

• AMD 7800X3D
  • RTX 3070
  • 32gb ram
  • NVIDIA 551.52 driver (the newest one was even worse so I had to revert back to this)

OP what GPU drivers do you have?

I tried the usual things like setting system resolution timer after benchmarking it according to AMIT pc optimization guide, since this was the problem for me previously…

PS. Check Calypto Latency guide google doc and AMIT pc optimization guide on Github.

I have tried all possible drivers. right now, i’m using 535.98, but I used the most recent version as well. Sometimes I tried them with fresh Windows install, sometimes I used DDU. No change.

Today its been really bad with lag on console, one game everyone was floating, sinking into the ground etc. otherwise, the ping is fine but as most days, same old desync / laggy interactions (double inputs/fps drops/audio stutter). nothing to do.

Same issues here on AMD 6650xt,
Tomorrow I will try a rollback.
Started like 3 days ago.
No problems in any other game btw just overwatch.

YES THIS!!! I am having this exact same issue. The actual frames do not appear to be dropping (aside from today, where I am having a new issue where suddenly I’m getting massive frame drops, but pretty sure this is an entirely different issue), yet there is some kind of lag, or input lag that makes it very difficult to aim. This is exactly my issue, and i know what you mean that it is hard to explain.

This issue has been happening to me for months and months. Originally, I thought it was my pc, bc it was a toaster, so I upgraded and got a lower end, but decent, gaming pc.

Next I thought it was bc I was using a tv instead of a monitor, so I bought a 165hz monitor. Didn’t help.

Then I believed it was my internet, and after troubleshooting that for a month a gave up and just said f it and switched ISPs. Now my ping is better, but I still have this weird lag!

I thought it was my mouse, so I bought a different one, and even tried a third I had laying around.

I have literally gotten a new pc, monitor, mouse, switched my ISP to a competitor’s, so entirely different network, and everything else that I could possibly think of.

My temps sit about 55c, always below 60c, my settings started off higher, but eventually I switched them all to the lowest, tried turning off reduced buffering, tried different nvidia reflex settings, enabling and disabling high precision mouse input… i’ve literally gone through each setting in ow and tried enabling/disabling and even outside in the nvidia settings and my monitor settings.

I discovered that I do not have this strange lag in Valorant or Apex, so I’m rly not sure what is going on.

Yesterday, in a bit of frustration I purchased upgraded RAM for my pc, which will be here sometime today and I’m just praying that it will help somehow, but I just don’t know what else to do at this point.

I’m really ready to give up, so if you figure out what it is that is happening for you, pls let me know. If it doesn’t fix mine too, maybe it will at least help me to figure it out.

Yes, it is so hard to explain! Yet, it truly makes playing the game a nightmare. You don’t drop frames, your computer thinks everything is absolutely fine, but your mouse reacts differently and acts like there’s acceleration. I am this close to completely say goodbye to Overwatch, because I did everything in my power but had 0 results, and 0 help as well.

At some point I started thinking everyone has this issue but I might be too sensitive about it, but I really doubt pros wouldn’t notice it if it was a game thing.
Interestingly enough, you said you had this issue for months, but for me it only started after the big update in February.

Try the new RAM and give your feedback on this issue! Thank you.

You’re not alone, I have the same issue too. I’m banging my head against the wall. I tried everything, different RAM overclocks and keeping it stock, using a VPN, using different chipset drivers and also giving cpu more voltage. No luck.

At first I thought other games I played ran fine just because they were offline games/single player, so I installed CS2, Apex and The Finals. No issues in those games.

Some people who replied here claim they have frame drops, but that’s a totally different issue because - as far as I understand - we don’t drop any frames when the issue occurs. Doesn’t happen in shooting range, but happens when playing real matches, even against AI.

Everything has been weird with blizzard things in the past few years. For example, I have many friends in my city that have huge rubberbanding/packet loss issues when using Wi-Fi, but -yet again- only in Overwatch.

This is so hard to troubleshoot, but at least it happens immediately when starting a fight, so you know when it’s fixed. And for sure, now it isn’t.

I tried playing other online games as well and no issues. Last one I tried is Destiny 2.

Honestly, Im pretty sure that a system is in place that can gauge your performance and manipulate your ability to aim through aim acceleration, lowered frames during extreme moments of data collection for the server( overtime, or if you are performing outside the threshold of the mmr assigned to that role/account). People in Halo have been complaining of desycning issues for a while connected to sbmm/eomm like designs.

Look out for fps drops, floaty aim, harder to hit head shots, feeling like you do no damage but instantly get head shot, and lack of consistency. then out of no where easier head shots during streaks of lower performance.

Again Its all tin foil hat stuff but the reality is that they need people to start up the game and stay but the veteran players are smurfing which kills those chances… so this is the next best creation to keep the game alive.

Same issue here. I didnt play for 2 weeks because my 5700xt died. Now i have a 6800xt and OW2 has become unplayable. With a R5 5600 32GB of 3200 Ram and my 6800xt @2700MHZ it runs fine half the of time. The other half is completely unplayable. FPS never drop below 288 but the game feels like its running on 30 hertz tops. Its only OW2. I can play last epoch helldivers and CP2077 just fine.

Edit: 2 Weeks ago with the 5700xt everything was fine.