"We Will Train Machines to Ban Offmeta Heroes!"

No, my point was that the majority isn’t always right. It doesn’t have to be related to WW2, it can be any other horrible example from history.

2 Likes

You have a point, the difference is that we both know what we are talking about, and this isn’t always the case. If the person you are talking with doens’t understand what is the discussion about because of the young age or not being an enlgish native speaker, it will be hard to explain what you want w/o using it once.

So maybe this system just detects the players that others don’t want to play with and has them queue into each other. It doesn’t have to be a ban. Just let them one-trick in each other’s games.

Wall street dinosaurs ostracized quants (mathematicians/engineers) in the 80s because finance was “about guts”, not math. They thought these nerds should stick to administrative tasks behind their computers.

By the 90s, quants had taken over every trading desk. Today, you can’t get a real finance job without graduate/post-graduate studies in math and/or engineering. Today’s finance majors will generally only lead to administrative tasks.

Things like that happen all the time, because no matter how much people love a good underdog story, the reality is nobody ever roots for the underdog until they’ve gone above and beyond what should normally be considered a success.

I’m not saying underdogs (off meta players) are secret geniuses, but I highly question your idea of enforcing mob mentality as the sole truth.

5 Likes

Yes that is a very fair point :slight_smile:

I can only hope that Blizzard will up their customer service to investigate cases like this if they happen, because I think it’s the nature of a game with a huge community to have to cut corners like this, but I definitely understand about the context bit.

Maybe we have to ask what’s the lesser of two evils? Less reports having actions because humans have to pour through everything? Or more reports having action but some people have wrong action? (Rhetorical because I don’t know the answer!)

Well, they said how they are penalizing, the gameplay sabotage is penalized by a suspension, and here are the new changes about abusive chat.

And to top it off, you could even “not know” that you are using abusive chat, which is baffling to me. Look:

Which implies the machine knows better than you what you are doing.

Also yeah don’t use that as an example, because I’m no history buff, but the overwatch community is a multicultural one spanning across several countries.

Not a country weakened by ww1 and taken over by a totalitarian dictatorship

1 Like

It is not how machine learning works. It has the rules of the game and the goal(in terms of game theory), the rest is being trained. There are no rules how to detect things, this is being trained.

1 Like

Fair however I don’t see blizzard letting it just run wild with the community…they will “guide” the training so to speak

I understand your point, but i have to use some example, and whatever example i pick, it will touch some portion of the community, if not one, then another. My point isn’t about a particular example though, so don’t take it as that.

2 Likes

And I question your idea that just because something can sometimes be improperly judged by the community doesn’t mean that it always, or even usually is.

How many times has the community as a whole judged something to be good or bad, but those that benefited from the status quo blocked progress on the issue?

Here’s how I live in ‘Overwatch’ and how it contrasts to the forum.

OW: Never rude, never ‘blunt’, and never demanding. Hardly do anything but respond to call outs, or inform on enemy comp/location.

I have never been silenced, reported, banned, or anything.

Forums: Make statements of truth, inform people they are incorrect, correct people, and poke fun at flawed logic.

I’ve been silenced many times, both old and new forums.

This ‘machine learning’ will not ban me. Ever, unless it starts to ban ALL OF US. :smiley:

1 Like

Well, i do hope they will. And i hope by bringing this to their attention, they will take an extra step to be careful.

But i brought this up because blizzard did mistakes in the past, and not one, and that’s fine, at blizzard work humans after all, not gods. Although some may worship them xD

2 Likes

Lol trust me I understand your concern.

Blizzard is just notoriously passive in this game when it comes to punishments…my reasoning for believing they will be guiding the training

You are saying don’t be concerned. But this is blizzard, and there are many examples in the past that tell me, do be concerned. And i am a programmer, so i know how these things work, and it makes it even scarier.

Here is one thing we will both definitely agree with. Not being concerned and not raising awareness won’t do anything at avoiding a potential problem, but being concerned and raising awareness might have an effect at avoiding a problem. You know what i mean?

1 Like

I was once silenced on the forums for answering a question with a movie quote lol

Actually answering 2 different threads…unknowingly from the same guy…

Yep I would’ve thought harassment too lol

Yeah the forum silences are out of control, i’m on my fourth on my real account.

GG Bots.

I mean the quote wasn’t that flattering and I honest to god didn’t realize i was replying to the same guy…

Honestly it just looked bad lol

Yeah I feel you. My point was more, we can control this in game. I dont know if I can even handle playing comp, the level of tilt and salt is so far above what we get in QP, and I’m just here to chill you know?

We lost a game, the only time the enemy advanced, was when I died. I was carrying out of my mind, but if I died, well its a long run back.

I dont think I’ve been so pissed in 2 years with this game.

I didnt vent though, I didnt type anything but ‘gg’ after the loss, but it took me a good 20 minutes to stop feeling it.

This game is toxic, because of the players, but I’m personally not worried about a ‘chat ban’ because of what I do or say, in game.

Here, on the other hand…lol

1 Like

I think quotes around “machine learning” means it’s not real machine learning, just some additional scripts to analyze the results of the reported player with his usual results. For example, if player is underperforming noticeably and was reported - it’s obviously a troll/thrower.

But it’s just my assumptions.