We need to talk about Third Party Software

I suppose because those don’t provide statistics and game knowledge etc. ? I don’t know I’m not a Blizzard employee.

1 Like

Visor is partnered with Seoul Dynasty, among other Contenders teams.

This is basically the same discussion from physical sports on whether better equipment and low level supplements like l-theanine (the thing in green tea), caffeine are allowed while serious stuff like adderall and steroids are not.

Basically, Blizzard has a tough time controlling hardware and people coaching you in person so banning that isn’t feasible because then getting a good ergonomic mouse or teaching your GF how to play would be a bannable offense.

That said, allowing third party programs that can tell you what the enemy is doing is against the inherent spirit of the game.

While the current programs are lack luster this puts a damper on future programs being developed as quickly and becoming very engrained in the community because the developers stopped this before it got out of hand.

3 Likes

Did Visor get Blizzards approval? Pursuit did.

They outlined the reasons why they believe Visor and Pursuit violate their ToS/EULA.

And the reasons they gave can be applied to those other programs in the exact same way, with even higher degrees of accuracy than Visor and Pursuit.

1 Like

You arent get something clearer.

These applications are far from unfair.

They’re free, and everyone has access to them. That in itself is fair but even more so is the fact that they don’t give you any advantage in game while being used because of how they’re designed (specifically as a training aid).

So if you are using it and others aren’t, you’re still not at any advantage.

Take the ult counter in Visor for example. It works on a timer. You’re better off keeping track of ults in your own head than you are by using visor.

However, for anyone that’s inexperienced, it’s a great learning tool.

Pursuit is actually also banned. Tom confirmed this himself.

The effectiveness of said program is not relevant.

He is also a community manager. He will tell you what info he has. The Pursuit team, who are financially backed by OWL and approved by Blizzard, were taken by surprise by this. This is likely “the right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing”. If it develops further he will have different info to share.

Tom most likely was told to pass the information onto the forums. Also, people have been getting messages warning them about using it. Someone on discord showed me a screenshot. It seems as though they are giving players the benefit of the doubt but will ban them if they continue to use it.

It is relevant.

Sure, Blizzard gets the final say, but whether or not they’re well-informed or wrong is still up for debate.

Ult timers are public knowledge. Integrating an ultimate timer as a notification is the same thing as an egg timer you have personally set up on your desk.

Visor too was partnered with the Seoul Dynasty and Contenders teams, went through an approval process by Blizzard, and were taken surprise by this.

In fact, if you compare the two Discord messages, they’re almost word-for-word identical

It’s not. If it’s intention is to give you information that others otherwise wouldn’t be given, it is considered an unfair advantage by definition and is not allowed. Blizzard could care less about how well it works.

They already have the information.

TLDR : No we don’t
A good rule of thumb is, if you have to go making “excuses” and “reasons” that start by “yes, its an external app but …” , you are on the wrong side pal.

WoW has many addons and they left waaaaaay too many things allowed, now they are leaving 0 room.

Nothing that interacts with OW. Period.

PS: Stream sniping is not a cheat, if you choose to give your info, its your choice and it has its risks.

1 Like

?

What interests me is that people who defend visor will say “it doesn’t even really work reliably”… So why do you still want it to be allowed

1 Like

Who knows? :man_shrugging:

You know just as much as everyone else that an ult will be ready in 100 seconds if no damage is dealt.

It’s information everyone has access to so your argument of “I don’t have access to this info” is void, because you do.

Pursuit doesn’t interact with Overwatch any more than OBS does. It just records the game. It does no in-game notifications or alerts. No interaction at all.

2 Likes