We Need to Dispel Some Myths About Mercy

no you just had a fight and then they’d come up again, and you could still use mass rez tempo btw.
The amount of resurrects in a game did go down, they initially went up because mercy was busted after the rework and then they nerfed her and the amount of resurrects went down on average per game. Currently the average is 6 through the course of an entire game. I can find sources if you would really like lol.

whether or not mercy has more or less resurrects prerework barely matters because the context in which she gets them is much different

tempo rez will always be stronger than mass rez, and using an ability to negate a death >>>> using an ult every 3 fights to negate 3 deaths

it’s not like the amont of rezzes between both versions of mercy is dramatically different, and it’s way higher in pro games than it ever was prerework

1 Like

Thank you. Rez was an ultimate ability and is now a cooldown ability. The context is different and overall the abilities have different purposes.

1 Like

The purpose of resurrect remains the same. lol. The context isn’t different. She is in a punishable state while resurrecting, cannot resurrect during a fight and has a hard time moving in and resurrecting. So she can only resurrect before a fight.

if it took you 3 fights to charge rez idk what you were doing to be honest.

Resurrect is a single target ability. She can resurrect easily in a fight if the opposing team has no focus fire and reflex. In coordinated environment, Resurrect is guaranteed by Projected Barrier.

Let’s play devil’s advocate then.

Where is your data to back up that claim? Or is that coming out of your rear?

Do you see my point?

Although, since you really want to test the accuracy of that data, let’s go digging for it!

A post I made on January 29th (meaning the statistics would have been much fresher in my memory) is pretty consistent with what I have said thus far:
Overwatch Forums

Shall we go further?

http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/09/patch-115-analysis-mercy-reviving.html

If you scroll down, you see this chart:

Going off that chart, Mercy’s 1.x number of Resurrections throughout the ranks seem to give us these stats:

Bronze: 5.0.
Silver: 5.7.
Gold: 6.2.
Platinum: 6.9.
Diamond: 7.5.
Masters: 8.0.
GM: 8.4

Now let’s combine these numbers with the concentration of each rank throughout the playerbase:

Bronze: 8%.
Silver: 21%.
Gold: 32%.
Platinum: 25%.
Diamond: 10%.
Masters: 3%.
GM: 1%.

Source:
Competitive Mode Tier Distribution

By multiplying these percentages with their respective averages, and adding those values together, we can get an overall average number of Resurrections for the time.

Bronze: 0.4.
Silver: 1.197.
Gold: 1.984.
Platinum: 1.725.
Diamond: 0.75.
Masters: 0.24.
GM: 0.084.

Total: 6.38 Resurrections/game. That’s our universal average from before the rework. What do you know? It’s pretty close to my recollection.

There are my statistics.

Your move.

Why are you pushing in if you’re down a player?

If that player falls after you’ve already engaged, then there’s still this:

I do now. :wink:

Explain to me how the arguments I have provided thus far are invalid.

1 Like

I approve of this meme.

*15 seconds.

1 Like

So rememeber when you said “Ana pickrate can’t change in 1% of the playerbase over 6-7 weeks”.

But at the same time said “duh it’s obvious Ana isn’t that great with Dive meta”

But at the same time argued “dive meta was set in stone by June and can’t shift at all”

Something about that all doesn’t add up.

No, because that’s a misquote. I said that it is unlikely for Ana’s pickrate to change from first in support pickrate to last in support pickrate without there being a reason for it to.

It also doesn’t seem to add up how the most popular heroes during the Dive Meta weren’t actually Dive heroes, right?

It also doesn’t add up how Mercy had a higher pickrate than Ana by a long shot during the tank meta, right?

And yet, those things happened.

2 Likes

So previously you were talking about high level pickrates, now you’re talking about average pickrates?

Why compare Apples and Oranges?

Because in this case, apples aren’t the only place things that don’t make sense can occur.

Why Ana had a higher pickrate than Lucio/Zenyatta in the top 3rd of MMR while Dive was in full swing is beyond me.

1 Like

God I love you. We’ve been saying this for so long!!! It either has to go or return it to ult. I dont care either way but wanting Mercy merfed has been a community pet project for so long and it needs to stop.

Seriously either remove res or revert and I am leaning more toward removal for something more practical at this point. It does not matter so long as we get her back on balanced ground.

Yes coming from the same people who released this chart
://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Pi1_GXcBrCFfXqYXoanDRkBDaCw=/0x0:961x541/1200x0/filters:focal(0x0:961x541)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10168447/usagechange.png
last season. I’m not sure you’re pulling from a reliable source lol. Even if those numbers are accurate this chart says the spike in play for mercy this season is more due to the meta shifts, or that’d be a safe assumption. Of course you’re always welcome to argue that mercy is an op hero with no counterplay.

In a coordinated environment if mercy starts a resurrect mid fight she’s dead. You also are saying “if the enemy team is bad then she can do it but if you’re playing in a coordinated environment then zarya guarantees rez” Zarya isn’t always going to have her cds for the rez for one. Zarya bubble doesn’t last the entire duration of rez even so but yes having a zarya certainly does help.
The problem is that if a coordinated team is willing to risk a rez mid fight the situation is already going to be dire.

I remember winston / dva being the most popular tanks and genji being up there in playrate during the dive meta. Idk about you but that seems like dive heroes for dive meta.

So the pickrate in pro-scene and the stats proving Mercy pick rate is GROSSY-HIGH prove nothing for Mercy mains. The classic opinion of a ignorant person, you show the evidences and he IGNORE that saying NO NO closing his eyes and covering his ears.

Even without the UTTERLY-BROKEN REZ ult, mercy keep insane high pick rates and this people SUGGESt give that back LOL!!!

Mercy need NERFS not BUFFS. Mercy need NERFS not a rework making her more OP. Mercy need a NERF on her guardian-angel so finally her COUNTERS will be able to force swap her.

How guardian-angel works? Mercy WALKS puting distance with her target, then she press GA going to the opposite side of her target with GA momentum. She can do this every 2 SECS. There is not a A COUNTER vs that.

So nerf GUARDIAN-ANGEL is the CANCER os this character.

I mean, it’s not like we need to go to Pro pickrate to say that Mercy pickrate is a problem.

2 Likes

I actually like Resurrect in its current form. Back when it was instant I was not a fan.

I think Mercy is a bit strong at the moment but I’d honestly prefer if they traded a little power from elsewhere in her kit so she could keep resurrect.

I find it satisfying to sort of hold your ground around a pick in a way that ensures that Mercy can’t swoop in and rez.

I know obviously that my opinion might not be super popular, Mercy mains want the non-resurrect parts of her kit to stay as strong as they are and a lot of other players can get quite frustrated at watching a hard earned pick be brought back to life so they often just want it removed but let me just explain why I like it.

A lot of players complain about Mercy being boring to play but I play Mercy and enjoy her enough, I actually find her a bit boring to fight.

Currently when you fight her there is very little interactions compared to other characters; you don’t really need to count her cooldowns, she does very little offensively, she will always jump away when in danger and she will hide behind cover frequently, her GA is mostly immune to knockbacks and resistant to bodyblocking, knocking her off an edge often results in her being saved after a prolonged period of falling.

The level of interaction her opponents have with her is basically ‘apply damage, predict where she will fly, hard CC if possible’ but when she wants a resurrect things get a little more interesting, knockbacks can actually do something significant to her, she has to consider the entire enemy team’s capabilities, you have to position to remove cover options around the pick, her team might have to pay attention and help her for it to be a success.

So yeah, I hope they keep resurrect, this once every 30 seconds where a secondary objective appears because it makes it a little more interesting to fight her.

Infact when they do decide to nerf her, I hope they try to consider nerfs via gameplay interactions instead of just raw numbers (I’m personally a fan of the probably unpopular having enemy shields count as a LOS block for her beam)

The way you phrased it seems like you are saying mass rez had insanely high pickrates in the pro scene

6 Likes

Can you give me the article and date for that chart? Because if that date happens to fall in late January/early February, that data is 100% correct:

https://www.overbuff.com/heroes/mercy/trends

Select “last 6 months”.

More likely that people were recoiling from the latest Mercy nerfs. If it was just the meta shift, Moira, Ana, and Brigitte would be getting a bigger piece of the pie.

But again, they aren’t.

Mercy has plenty of counterplay. The existence of counterplay does not equate to the hero being “balanced”. Hence, she is of must-pick status.

Depends upon: A) How the Mercy executed it. A decent Mercy either won’t have a problem reviving the target, or won’t try because the safety conditions are painfully obvious. B) How coordinated Mercy’s team is. If we are taking “coordinated environment” for what it means, that would also translate to Mercy’s team being coordinated.

If your assertion were, true, Mercy’s pickrate wouldn’t increase when approaching higher ranks; it would decrease.

2 Likes

Haha, that’s what I would think too.

But yeah, no.

“But looking at Competitive only… here are the top 6 picked heroes: Mercy (by a long shot), 76, D.Va, Lucio, Ana and Genji. Interestingly, number 7 is Reinhardt. Next tank after that is… Wi… no Roadhog. So in the past month in Comp, that’s what you’ve been actually playing.”

- Jeff Kaplan, July 7th, 2017.

Overwatch Forums